Christian Quotes from Franklin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Christian Quotes from Franklin?
I've always heard that Benjamin Franklin was either an atheist or a deist, but a friend just sent me a link to a video claiming that he was a Christian. The video presents 8 quotes supposedly from Franklin in which he claims to believe in Christ. Can anyone here give me some information on whether these quotes are genuine and, if so, whether they are taken out of context or not.

Here's the link to the video that my friend sent me: http://youtu.be/1Ac4HHKtETA
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2014, 02:14 AM
RE: Christian Quotes from Franklin?
I have no idea because I don't know shit about the man, but it's entirely irrelevant to anything if he was Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Muslim or subscribed to the ever wonderful Scientology.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
24-11-2014, 06:02 PM
(17-11-2014 07:30 AM)jumuhamd Wrote:  I've always heard that Benjamin Franklin was either an atheist or a deist, but a friend just sent me a link to a video claiming that he was a Christian. The video presents 8 quotes supposedly from Franklin in which he claims to believe in Christ. Can anyone here give me some information on whether these quotes are genuine and, if so, whether they are taken out of context or not.

Here's the link to the video that my friend sent me: http://youtu.be/1Ac4HHKtETA
Above all Franklin was a politician and businessman. There was no advantage in pronouncing himself to be a non-believer. He would have realized this and acted accordingly.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
23-01-2015, 04:28 PM
(17-11-2014 07:30 AM)jumuhamd Wrote:  I've always heard that Benjamin Franklin was either an atheist or a deist, but a friend just sent me a link to a video claiming that he was a Christian. The video presents 8 quotes supposedly from Franklin in which he claims to believe in Christ. Can anyone here give me some information on whether these quotes are genuine and, if so, whether they are taken out of context or not.

From Franklin`s autobiography, he was a Deist, The quotes from the video come from something that Franklin supposedly published around 1735 called (The Christian pamphlets. but these don`t appear among his papers.), but appear in a book (This one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Christian-Pa...B00PFUNF3O The author being a so called defender of the christian faith. (Gee what a fking surprise.)) These are more than likely misquotes from a paper Franklin wrote called`A Defense of Mr. Hemphill’s Observations` http://founders.archives.gov/documents/F...02-02-0011

"When you tell me that your Deity made you in his own image, I reply that he must have been very ugly." Victor Hugo
[+] 1 user Likes HappyUkAtheist's post
14-02-2015, 12:44 AM
Thumbs Up RE: Christian Quotes from Franklin?

Franklin was a Deist most of his life and he calls himself a Deist in his autobiography. However as he aged he actually did become more religious (and likely became a Christian Deist). The fact that this says he wrote this at 29 makes me skeptical. By 1787 he was more religious. He chastised the Constitutional Convention for not starting each day with a prayer (See Madison's notes on the Convention)

But just look at the quotes offered:

Quote 1 - Christian? No - just saying that the meanings of the apostles writings are easily understood. That is not advocating them, so even if he said it so what, he could have been saying that they are easily understood to be idiotic.

2) He is asked that "these Reverend Gentleman" read the scriptures impartially That suggests he asking Christians to read them impartially to see what they REALLY are saying.

3) He is saying if Hemphill subverts one of the Christian Doctrines the Christians won't like him - again easily said by an Atheist or Deist. I could say that if you deny Christ you will be condemned by all Christians.... duh.

4) This one is a little more direct but sounds awfully out of context to me. Could still easily be engaged in a debate or hypothetical argument.

5) This one doesn't sound much like Franklin, but is seemingly supportive of Christianity

6) Could easily be using this argument against Jews, not in support of Christians - again so little context here about whom he is speaking to or about

7) Direct and Supportive

8) Again this needs context. It could very well be prefaced with "Christians belive..." as part of an argument or debate. Without knowing whom he spoke to it is impossible to derive meaning.

Among these only 5 and 8 are really quotes in support of Christianity, but I can't locate any of them in any other context but this video. Sounds completely made up to me. If he did say these things, where are the citations (what writings are they from? what was the title of the pamphlet?)

I would ignore them.
14-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
-- Ben Franklin

I'm not sure which this says more to -- his "love of god" - or his love of a good wine buzz.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Franklin wrote so much from so many mindsets, characters, perspectives, and via allusions it's hard to tell even what was honest or truly his ideas in the works that are supposed to be accurate of himself like his autobiography. It's perhaps leading to say he was potentially a person who never set in stone one ideological thought process since it never really shines through when looking across all the things he did.

A slight problem with this is we often view that time in our current mindframe of "christian" as a universal term. It wasn't as frequently the case in that era and what religious christian sects one belonged to had their known differences and connections.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-02-2015, 09:40 AM
The way to see by Faith is to shut the Eye of Reason. ~ Benjamin Franklin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-02-2015, 12:02 PM
From what I've read he was personally a deist, but believed that religion was desirable and necessary to ensure public order and good behavior.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
16-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Most people of that time were Deist. They didn't believe in the idea of a "personal god" who had any influence on their daily live. They felt they had risen above all that garbage. It wasn't until the Civil War religion began to make a fierce comeback with the idea that god controlled everything.

I believe Thomas Jefferson rewrote the New Testament and took out all the miracles.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces