Christian/Religious Names

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Christian/Religious Names
A sizable number of us (to include myself) were given names based on our parents religion. Does this bother you? Have you or do you plan on avoiding religious names, or does it matter to you? I must admit it does bother me a little though I wouldn't change it now; I intend to avoid giving my children Christian names.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2012, 12:09 AM
RE: Christian/Religious Names
My name is after a saint, every freaking name is after a saint when your family is catholic... but history has changed it so the nick name for mine is the name of a popular mexican snack, so I don't care Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
08-10-2012, 12:17 AM
My birth name was Adam (a bible name), but I legally changed it to Supernova (not a bible name). It's funny that my grandparents objected to the name change by telling me that I ought not to change my "christian name", which apparently they equivocated with birth name but suggested that it was "god-given". What exactly was Abram's "christian name"? Jacob's? Saul of Tarsus'? Levi's? Simon's?

Maybe "christian name" doesn't mean what people think it means.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
08-10-2012, 12:20 AM

I actually don't have a Christian name--sorry so many of you atheists do. I guess you can always change it like Supernova did (Cog, Clod, Animate, etc.).

The history of the name Edward is simply that of several English Kings (8 to be exact). None of them good, really. Remember the movie, Braveheart? Longshanks was Edward the first, and his gay useless son was Edward II. Edward VI was Henry VIII's son, and he died as a teenager. And Edward VIII gave up the throne so he could marry a divorced American. Edward III was pretty good.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Egor's post
08-10-2012, 02:08 AM
(08-10-2012 12:06 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  A sizable number of us (to include myself) were given names based on our parents religion. Does this bother you? Have you or do you plan on avoiding religious names, or does it matter to you? I must admit it does bother me a little though I wouldn't change it now; I intend to avoid giving my children Christian names.

I didn't realise that "Dark" was a christian name.

A quick mind-check has revealed that it appears (as an adjective (dark), as a noun (darkness) and adverb (through a glass darkly), in new and old testaments so if anything it's a pre-christian, Hebrew name.

My parents just liked the name David and my middle names were my grandfather's first names (1 x Austrian and 1 x Welsh).

I generally like the female biblical names e.g. Ruth, Rebecca, Rachel etc. but with greater exposure, I'm also liking Chinese female names e.g. Zhi Ling, Ling Ling, Xiaou Ya, but not so much the Vietnam names like Thu, Thuy, Thanh cos I tend to misprounce them as 2, 3, 10 and get laughed at.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-10-2012, 02:41 AM
My name, Michael, is Hebrew for "One who resembles God."

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
08-10-2012, 03:17 AM
(08-10-2012 02:41 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  My name, Michael, is Hebrew for "One who resembles God."

I hereby rename you... Amichael (one who contrasts with god)

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
08-10-2012, 06:15 AM
(08-10-2012 12:09 AM)nach_in Wrote:  My name is after a saint, every freaking name is after a saint when your family is catholic... but history has changed it so the nick name for mine is the name of a popular mexican snack, so I don't care Tongue

Was that St. Chimichanga?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
08-10-2012, 06:34 AM
(08-10-2012 02:41 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  My name, Michael, is Hebrew for "One who resembles God."

Micha-el, Rapha-el, Uri-el, among many others... Sumerian angel names. Servants of El Elyon. Sorry to bust thy bubble. Tongue

"Edward" is derived from two Old English words 'ead' which means "happy" and 'weard' which means "guard". Are you a happy guard ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-10-2012, 06:47 AM
(08-10-2012 06:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Micha-el, Rapha-el, Uri-el, among many others... Sumerian angel names. Servants of El Elyon. Sorry to bust thy bubble. Tongue

I am aware of when and how they were used. That does not disprove what I said about the etymology of said name.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]