Christian/Religious Names

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 07:01 AM
RE: Christian/Religious Names
(08-10-2012 06:47 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 06:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Micha-el, Rapha-el, Uri-el, among many others... Sumerian angel names. Servants of El Elyon. Sorry to bust thy bubble. Tongue

I am aware of when and how they were used. That does not disprove what I said about the etymology of said name.

It's "intermediate etymology". The Hebrew got them from the Sumerians.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2012, 07:28 AM
(08-10-2012 12:06 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  A sizable number of us (to include myself) were given names based on our parents religion. Does this bother you? Have you or do you plan on avoiding religious names, or does it matter to you? I must admit it does bother me a little though I wouldn't change it now; I intend to avoid giving my children Christian names.

There's no such thing as "Christian" names, after all plants are still called plants in the bible, thorns are still called thorns in the bible, ect, ect, ect. Names have long existed far in advance to biblical discovery. The men and women who were given names that match your own, you can take my own for instance; Matthew was not born out religious mime, other Matthews were present, before taxes no less. Grant yourself whatever authority over what you define any name as, it just sounds stupid to me to divide from almost....pfft...ALL of them. No...it IS stupid. I will always feel privileged to have been given a name, especially from my own mother. Good luck figuring out what name isn't religiously affiliated, or ethnicity affiliated and imbued from religious experiences at the same time. I don't see why it matters so much to you, I never really thought a name did so much harm to one on such a level that they'd headhunt them down, unless you were named something hysterical like Beavis or Butt-head.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Matthew Laramore's post
08-10-2012, 07:41 AM
My first name is a reverence to the got Mars in roman mythology.
It means " the Warrior" or valiant and is pretty much the same as my last name, because the german word Krieger means Warrior, too.
Not really catholic or even biblical, but there is a got involved.
So, i am lucky about my name, because my name could be Engelbert Humperdinck or Justin Bieber.
Ok, i take the money, but please not this name.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 4 users Like Marco Krieger's post
08-10-2012, 07:49 AM
If I have a kid, I'm naming him Mortimer Bartesque, from my Holy Bible, Nancy Drew. http://riverheightsgirl.blogspot.com/201...chive.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Christian name |ˈkrɪstʃən ˌneɪm|
noun
a name given to an individual that distinguishes him or her from other members of the same family and is used as an address of familiarity; a forename, esp. one given at baptism.

surname |ˈsərˌnām|
noun
a hereditary name common to all members of a family, as distinct from a given name.
• archaic a name, title, or epithet added to a person's name, esp. one indicating their birthplace or a particular quality or achievement: by his successes there, he acquired the surname of “the African.”

We all gots 'em.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
08-10-2012, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 08:45 AM by Marco Krieger.)
(08-10-2012 07:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If I have a kid, I'm naming him Mortimer Bartesque, from my Holy Bible, Nancy Drew. http://riverheightsgirl.blogspot.com/201...chive.html

Never heard the name of the author, maybe something for the kindle-whishlist.

Mortimer is a good name, it sounds very aristocratic.
Where do you hide the Like it-Button?
Ähmm... got em.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
08-10-2012, 08:36 AM
I kinda wish my father had gotten his wish when it came to naming me.

He wanted to name me one of these choices: Raphael, Donatello, Michelangelo or Leonardo. (failing them, Splinter.. he was a TMNT fan...), but NO I had to be named Matthew, so now I will forever be marked as a "Gift from Delusional Invisible Friend Prime".

I need to sulk now...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
08-10-2012, 08:41 AM
I just learned that I am "ruler of the people." Ah ha!

Now to inform my husband......

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Aren't there a few books that say that's wrong?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I would've hated having a popular name. My given name was Darrin (at 3 I changed it to Darren) it's a scottish name that has to do with scholarly person and a grandmother liked bewitched. The best part about my given name is that her daughter Kathy, was Darrin until she ended up being a girl.

My current name, Lilith, is more of a biblical name though there's no el =p It's the jewish pronounciation of the sumerian Lilitu. I picked it up randomly from things such as video games and it just always worked for me. Most people think of Cheers though. Frasier's ex wife from that show (they broke up come Frasier) was named Lilith and shares many of my tendencies =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post