Christian/Religious Names

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 08:53 AM
RE: Christian/Religious Names
My first name is David. It really doesn't bother me one bit that it has a religious origin. I am who I am, not the label. You can name your children whatever you want but do so with caution. Some of those unique names just end up looking and sounding like you were trying way too hard to be different. I had a cousin with an unusual sounding and spelled name. When he moved from elementary to middle school, he informally changed his name to Jeff since he couldn't stand the unique name he was given. His parents showed up to the first parent teacher night and couldn't find out where to go since "Jeff" hadn't told his parents. Just one man's opinion however.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2012, 09:03 AM
So I can name my future child Beelzebub?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
(08-10-2012 09:03 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So I can name my future child Beelzebub?

Sure, you can, but you should not.
He/she will curse you.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
08-10-2012, 09:18 AM
It's just my job to pass on my genes and protect those passed on until they reach a time at which the carrier can effectively look after itself and propagate their one on their own. Whether they curse me or not is a non-issue.

Okay, I know I need to teach them and show love and compassion for them, but I just felt like breaking it down as far as possible for no good reason at all.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I share my first name with my father, who was named after a minor biblical character by my grandfather who was a Deacon at a Southern Baptist Church. My parents, both of which are Southern Baptists, named me (my middle name) after a major biblical character, which is the name I go by. I wasn't given a name that happened to also be biblical names, I was named after the biblical characters themselves, and I am not to fond of it. I would have rather have had a traditional European name (I am of European decent) without the religious stigmas attached to them. I am also very "into" the meaning behind the names. Don't ask me why, I just am. My name means "Friend of horses" and "God is my judge" or, alternate translations make it even worse, making me seem like I rape horses; "Lover of horses" and "Only God Can Judge Me."

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
08-10-2012, 11:20 AM
(08-10-2012 10:48 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I share my first name with my father, who was named after a minor biblical character by my grandfather who was a Deacon at a Southern Baptist Church. My parents, both of which are Southern Baptists, named me (my middle name) after a major biblical character, which is the name I go by. I wasn't given a name that happened to also be biblical names, I was named after the biblical characters themselves, and I am not to fond of it. I would have rather have had a traditional European name (I am of European decent) without the religious stigmas attached to them. I am also very "into" the meaning behind the names. Don't ask me why, I just am. My name means "Friend of horses" and "God is my judge" or, alternate translations make it even worse, making me seem like I rape horses; "Lover of horses" and "Only God Can Judge Me."

Your name is Jófreður?
Its the only name, i have found via google that has the meaning "Friend of horses".
Sounds hungarian, i think. Quite a name.

08-10-2012, 11:58 AM
(08-10-2012 11:20 AM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 10:48 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I share my first name with my father, who was named after a minor biblical character by my grandfather who was a Deacon at a Southern Baptist Church. My parents, both of which are Southern Baptists, named me (my middle name) after a major biblical character, which is the name I go by. I wasn't given a name that happened to also be biblical names, I was named after the biblical characters themselves, and I am not to fond of it. I would have rather have had a traditional European name (I am of European decent) without the religious stigmas attached to them. I am also very "into" the meaning behind the names. Don't ask me why, I just am. My name means "Friend of horses" and "God is my judge" or, alternate translations make it even worse, making me seem like I rape horses; "Lover of horses" and "Only God Can Judge Me."

Your name is Jófreður?
Its the only name, i have found via google that has the meaning "Friend of horses".
Sounds hungarian, i think. Quite a name.

I'm thinking Phillip, Daniel

08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
(08-10-2012 08:41 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I just learned that I am "ruler of the people." Ah ha!

Now to inform my husband......

Audrey?

08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
(08-10-2012 11:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm thinking Phillip, Daniel

Daniel means "God judges" and Phillip is the "Friend of horses".
Sure, make sence.

08-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Damn you! You weren't supposed to take the time to look it up. Now I have lost some of my anonymity. Urgh...Yes my first name is Phillip, and middle name is Daniel.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post