Christian/Religious Names

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2012, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 10:44 AM by Marco Krieger.)
RE: Christian/Religious Names
(08-10-2012 12:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Damn you! You weren't supposed to take the time to look it up. Now I have lost some of my anonymity. Urgh...Yes my first name is Phillip, and middle name is Daniel.

Sorry, i can only speak in my own behalf, but i promise, not to do it again. Blush
DLJ has started it, not my fault! Confused

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Marco Krieger's post
08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I don't think mine is. I was in Girl Scouts as a kid, and we had to research "what saint are you named after?" and give a report. Seriously. And I was the only one who wasn't named after a saint, so I just chose the Virgin Mary I think (my mom's name is Mary). I still don't like my name much because it's so common. If I could make up my mind on another name, I'd consider having it changed just for the hell of it. But I can't, so I keep it. ^_^
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
(08-10-2012 02:06 PM)amyb Wrote:  Yeah, I don't think mine is. I was in Girl Scouts as a kid, and we had to research "what saint are you named after?" and give a report. Seriously. And I was the only one who wasn't named after a saint, so I just chose the Virgin Mary I think (my mom's name is Mary). I still don't like my name much because it's so common. If I could make up my mind on another name, I'd consider having it changed just for the hell of it. But I can't, so I keep it. ^_^

I admit that I don't know shit about girl scouts, other than their samoa cookies, but this seems very bizarre to me. Is their any direct relationship with the Girl Scouts and the Catholic Church? I may be mistaken here, but I think the the Orthodox Church has saints as well so if I am right add them to the list too. Anyhow, I am kind of surprised. I know their are a decent amount of boy and girl scouts in my area, but Catholics are a small minority, and Orthodox are practically non-existent. In my neck of the woods its mostly Baptists (a few different kinds), Lutherans, Methodists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and a minority of Unitarian Universalists and Catholics. Everything is is almost non-existent (based on 20+yrs observation). Can someone clarify?

08-10-2012, 02:27 PM
My name's so "christian" it's not only a character in the bible, but also a book in it.

Doesn't bother me in a sense... really though as I respond to a few names (one I respond to the same as my first name), that names don't really mean anything to me.
08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
(08-10-2012 02:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I admit that I don't know shit about girl scouts, other than their samoa cookies, but this seems very bizarre to me. Is their any direct relationship with the Girl Scouts and the Catholic Church? I may be mistaken here, but I think the the Orthodox Church has saints as well so if I am right add them to the list too. Anyhow, I am kind of surprised. I know their are a decent amount of boy and girl scouts in my area, but Catholics are a small minority, and Orthodox are practically non-existent. In my neck of the woods its mostly Baptists (a few different kinds), Lutherans, Methodists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and a minority of Unitarian Universalists and Catholics. Everything is is almost non-existent (based on 20+yrs observation). Can someone clarify?
My mom was a Girl Scout Leader for a while, too, and we had our meetings in churches and it was VERY religious. It's been a while, but I think monotheism is still encouraged:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scouts...he_Promise
but maybe it's just my town and it happened to be very Catholic-dominated, though technically they supposedly allow you to substitute "allah" or whomever, but there was still prayer and much religious crap when I was in GS. At the time, this city was VERY Catholic, so I think that's why, but thinking back, it still seems bizarre to me too. Or it could be that the GS leaders in the area were all Catholic. Honestly, as a kid, it took me a while to realize that not every human being on earth was Catholic, because that's all I was exposed to!

girlscouots.org says this:
"Thus, while a secular organization, Girl Scouts has, since the movement began, encouraged girls to take spiritual journeys via their faiths' religious recognitions."
In my case (about 20 years ago), they managed to jam a lot of religion into meetings, with prayers, talking about serving god, the idea that girl scouts were good people because they were religious, etc. Apparently, no one told the leaders here that it is a "secular organization."

My mom was a leader but she just did what the others told her to, so I can't really ask. She became a leader because she was friends with some of the other leaders, and it was something to do, I guess. The only things I really enjoyed about GS were nature hikes and Thin Mints.

I'm sure there were other sort of assignments and badges and things that related to religion, though. I should dig out my old sash and jacket. I obsessively got all the badges.
08-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I enjoy the irony that one of my good friends is called Christian Tongue Yeah... major parental fail right there. But names are like little pieces of history. I love that place names give you clues of what was there before, similarly with human names - I don't mind naming kids after religion.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
(08-10-2012 02:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  I enjoy the irony that one of my good friends is called Christian Tongue Yeah... major parental fail right there. But names are like little pieces of history. I love that place names give you clues of what was there before, similarly with human names - I don't mind naming kids after religion.
Ha, yeah I know several atheists named "Christian." ^_^

On the other hand, I don't think I'd avoid a perfectly good name just because it is associated with a religion. So many names are. I'm pretty sure I would never name a child Christian though, just because it's a bit too Christian. ^_^ In theory, I wouldn't be opposed to naming kids things like Rebecca or even Mary (my family is full of Marys and Josephs). Also, if I named a child Mary or Joseph, it'd be after various close relatives with that name, and I wouldn't consider it religious, even. I don't plan on having kids, but if I did, and it was a girl, I'm sure I'd continue the tradition of naming it Mary or Marilyn.
08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
(08-10-2012 12:02 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 08:41 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I just learned that I am "ruler of the people." Ah ha!

Now to inform my husband......

Audrey?

No. But I'm not surprised there would be duplicates.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
08-10-2012, 03:02 PM
(08-10-2012 07:01 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 06:47 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am aware of when and how they were used. That does not disprove what I said about the etymology of said name.

It's "intermediate etymology". The Hebrew got them from the Sumerians.

As I said, this is irrelevant.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
08-10-2012, 08:03 PM
(08-10-2012 02:56 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(08-10-2012 02:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  I enjoy the irony that one of my good friends is called Christian Tongue Yeah... major parental fail right there. But names are like little pieces of history. I love that place names give you clues of what was there before, similarly with human names - I don't mind naming kids after religion.
Ha, yeah I know several atheists named "Christian." ^_^

On the other hand, I don't think I'd avoid a perfectly good name just because it is associated with a religion. So many names are. I'm pretty sure I would never name a child Christian though, just because it's a bit too Christian. ^_^ In theory, I wouldn't be opposed to naming kids things like Rebecca or even Mary (my family is full of Marys and Josephs). Also, if I named a child Mary or Joseph, it'd be after various close relatives with that name, and I wouldn't consider it religious, even. I don't plan on having kids, but if I did, and it was a girl, I'm sure I'd continue the tradition of naming it Mary or Marilyn.

That isn't surprising to me, now find a Christian named Atheist, then I will be impressed.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post