Christian/Religious Names

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2012, 12:27 AM

RE: Christian/Religious Names
(08-10-2012 06:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Edward" is derived from two Old English words 'ead' which means "happy" and 'weard' which means "guard". Are you a happy guard ?

I prefer to think of myself as an English King, thank you very much! Censored

Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2012, 12:53 AM
AW: Christian/Religious Names
Doesn't bother me at all. I like my name.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2012, 02:18 AM
If you look into their origins; a lot of names seem to be geared toward religion in some way. My name is John, my sister's name is Sara, and my 8-year-old adopted brother's name is Matthew. All are clearly Christian names, but I was only involved in the naming of my brother, so I know that my parents' intention was to name him something Biblical. I presume my sister and I were named with the same intent.

If I ever have a child - more specifically a daughter (I hate boys Angry ) - I would name her Layla, after a rare "Korn" song from their early days. Plus, I later found out it means "dark goddess", which is right up my alley. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I was given a biblical name. I was named after the god Moloch. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-10-2012, 07:59 AM
(09-10-2012 07:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I was given a biblical name. I was named after the god Moloch. Drinking Beverage

I guess that's Molochs with a B?

09-10-2012, 08:04 AM
(09-10-2012 07:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 07:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I was given a biblical name. I was named after the god Moloch. Drinking Beverage

I guess that's Molochs with a B?

That's my middle name. Molochs Bollocks.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Well...I had to look it up again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth

I was named after my grandmother's middle name, but my mom has always told me she did pick all of my siblings--and my--names because they were Bible names. I just use my nickname and pretend that I don't have a full name xD Or I spell it like a baws.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Not sure about my first name, however I know my middle name is from the bible. I don't really care. I think it adds to the shock value of saying you are an atheist if you have a name out of the bible.
09-10-2012, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 05:32 PM by Luminon.)
My name doesn't bother me because it's Christian. It bothers me, because
- it's extremely common
- I share it with my dad (as if it wasn't common already)
- it comes in many colloquial varieties, so I never know how to introduce myself or how others should call me, except for the most formal ocassions. As if I didn't have enough of social awkwardness.

I find the American tradition of giving people weird names a little funny. In my country the naming laws and traditions are very conservative, you can give your child a unusual or foreign name, but you have to ask the court first, unless you're foreign. It's either an ethnic tradition (naming people Storm, Savannah, Rainforest, Tundra... just kidding) or giving first names after long dead people's surnames. (Lincoln, Kennedy, Taylor, Drake...) But considering how over-used the Christian names are, I can understand that. I can also understand that some of the deconverted, Atheist parents would name their children Kain or Lilith, I find that pretty cool Big Grin (after all, Kain killed just one guy, that's very decent by Biblical standard)
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
09-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Mine's Timothy, after St. Timothy.....T_T

[Image: 8ffeae9d.jpg]
Credit to Atothetheist