Christian Rock

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2016, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2016 02:56 PM by Mr. Boston.)
Christian Rock
I'm a guitar player by hobby. I'm in a band, we gig out about once a month just for fun, and play a mix of originals and covers. I'm also on a guitar forum, and I wouldn't say it's crawling with Christians really, but at any given time there are more than a few guys there whose primary experience or outlet is playing in the praise band at their church. Good for them I say, if they can get something that's actually beneficial out of it.

Anyway I've had people tell me they would listen to Christian Rock even if it wasn't Christian, that some of the musicians are decent enough that their stuff can compete with the best of secular rock. I wouldn't presume that only secular and non-religious people have the capacity for great musicianship or even musical genius.

So I figured, who better to ask than a group of non-believers. Anybody here been exposed to Christian Rock that was SO well written and well played that you didn't care it was Christian? Or you folks here who are still attending a "modern" church, but for appearances' sake - can you admit to enjoying the music despite the content? Or is it all, as I suspect, pretty much nothing without the woo frosting on top?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
25-03-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Christian Rock
I agree with Billy...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
25-03-2016, 03:16 PM
I did actually get thrown off a guitar forum for making one lousy joke about Jesus being pissed at Judas for giving away his Strat at the Last Jam Session.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 5 users Like Sam's post
25-03-2016, 03:25 PM
I have heard some good Christian rock:

Norman Greenbaum, "Spirit in the Sky" (from way back in the hippie days)

Some of "Jesus Christ Superstar" (also from the hippie days)

The band Creed -- although (a) they were more of a rock band who happened to be Christians than "Christian rock" per se, and (b) I never cared for their lead singer. But they could play, and had some good songs.

Other than that, most Christian rock I've heard isn't worth a damn. But I have to admit I really haven't heard much, and I generally don't like to pass judgment on entire genres of music. So I will just say that the stuff listed above sounded pretty good to me. And I've heard some great gospel music too, although that's really a different genre than rock.

You would never know it from the band name, but Black Sabbath had a few songs with Christian themes, as did Tommy James and the Shondells ("Sweet Cherry Wine" is a great song).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
25-03-2016, 04:47 PM
(25-03-2016 02:52 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Or is it all, as I suspect, pretty much nothing without the woo frosting on top?

I am impressed by Pentatonix. Their religious bent don't change that.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-03-2016, 04:56 PM
(25-03-2016 04:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 02:52 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Or is it all, as I suspect, pretty much nothing without the woo frosting on top?

I am impressed by Pentatonix. Their religious bent don't change that.

Words have meanings, some of them many meanings, but when you try to stretch the word rock to cover this bland shit type of music you are way way out of it!
25-03-2016, 05:28 PM
There's not really much room for creativity in Christian... (ah for fuck's sake)... "Rock".

I mean, they've got literally one subject to sing about.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
25-03-2016, 05:39 PM
I have not heard any good Christian rock, but that isn't my scene. There is plenty of excellent classical and R&B music based on religious texts, though.
25-03-2016, 06:42 PM
I used to like Dc Talk (I owned all their music at one point. lol), but it's not something I actively listen to anymore. They're ok, but definitely don't deserve a spot on my iphone. Sleepy

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
25-03-2016, 07:18 PM
I thought Creed was good. They wrote their songs in a very clever way so that you really had to pay attention to get what they were saying. That's about it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac