Christian Rock

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: Christian Rock
casting crowns and third day will always have a special place in my heart. no matter where my beliefs go.

while not always "rock" in their music. skillet handles that pretty well. i know i ticked my boyfriend off when i told him they were a christian band Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2016, 08:17 PM
Newsboys (whose co-founder came out as an Atheist and we can blame for God's Not Dead) is hit or miss. Ditto with DC Talk and Third Day, which were both mentioned.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2016, 08:54 PM

#sigh
25-03-2016, 09:21 PM
I was going to say Third Day, because I loved them when I was a Christian, but I just went back and listened to a few songs and I can't get past the message. I think I've still got a little bitterness that's probably clouding my judgement, but all I hear is the words. Maybe it would be easier to enjoy now if I hadn't memorized the songs years ago and didn't still have them burned into my brain. I'm a big southern rock fan, and Mac Powell's voice is great, but I won't be listening to then again any time soon.

"I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
- Isaac Newton
25-03-2016, 09:28 PM
(25-03-2016 09:21 PM)Scott E Wrote:  I was going to say Third Day, because I loved them when I was a Christian, but I just went back and listened to a few songs and I can't get past the message. I think I've still got a little bitterness that's probably clouding my judgement, but all I hear is the words. Maybe it would be easier to enjoy now if I hadn't memorized the songs years ago and didn't still have them burned into my brain. I'm a big southern rock fan, and Mac Powell's voice is great, but I won't be listening to then again any time soon.

Mac powells voice is the only reason I still listen to them.
Except for blessed assurance. That's just my favorite hymn and I can't get over it.
25-03-2016, 09:33 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
25-03-2016, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2016 09:41 PM by TheGulegon.)
Could this thread be renamed "Oxymoron"? Unsure

Tongue

[edit] This ain't Christian Rock just because Jeebus's name is in it, mind you! Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
25-03-2016, 10:12 PM
I was gonna say 'Stryper' but I remembered how much they sucked.

[Image: 3-mNnlDI.jpg]

A funny thing happened on a drive I had recently. An audiobook I was listening to talked about Katie Perry being a struggling Xtian music artist before she threw it all away and sold her soul for sexpot-pop music. I guess one never knows what these melodic praisers will eventually become.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2016, 01:31 PM
(25-03-2016 02:52 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I'm a guitar player by hobby. I'm in a band, we gig out about once a month just for fun, and play a mix of originals and covers. I'm also on a guitar forum, and I wouldn't say it's crawling with Christians really, but at any given time there are more than a few guys there whose primary experience or outlet is playing in the praise band at their church. Good for them I say, if they can get something that's actually beneficial out of it.

Anyway I've had people tell me they would listen to Christian Rock even if it wasn't Christian, that some of the musicians are decent enough that their stuff can compete with the best of secular rock. I wouldn't presume that only secular and non-religious people have the capacity for great musicianship or even musical genius.

So I figured, who better to ask than a group of non-believers. Anybody here been exposed to Christian Rock that was SO well written and well played that you didn't care it was Christian? Or you folks here who are still attending a "modern" church, but for appearances' sake - can you admit to enjoying the music despite the content? Or is it all, as I suspect, pretty much nothing without the woo frosting on top?

I've only been to church twice in my life so the answer is "no". The only christian music I've ever heard is Handel's Messiah hallelujah chorus segment. The entirety of Handel's Messiah is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooo looooooooooong. I guess christmas music is christian music....sort of.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Christian rock is like a bottle of alcohol free beer.

What's the fucking point?????????????????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post