Christian School Fundraising in the Family.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Christian School Fundraising in the Family.
Every school fundraises. My daughter asks my family members and maybe some close friends for money here and there for activities or the school itself.

What do you do when your nephews and nieces or friends children ask for these types of things for their christian schools, especially if it's a school that you strongly oppose in their teaching all over the map? Would you donate for just the activities (like a swim day or something)? How do you explain to the kiddos you love if you don't? Do you do a minimal amount?

I have friends who have given money to our daughter these passed couple years and their children are heading into school and I'm starting to think about the return Confused. It's only been a couple bucks here or there a few times, so I'm hoping to land the return favour on a pre approved expediter, lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2012, 12:18 AM
RE: Christian School Fundraising in the Family.
We get random kids selling chocolate, bags of candy, weed, sponsorships, raffles, siblings, etc round here.
I try not to encourage the vermin as they’re probably casing the house…
Though the odd bar of chocolate is ok…
Friends kids know I’m a soft touch though, little vultures.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I guess for me, I would feel there was a difference to donating to the school's operating expenses versus sponsoring something the child is directly involved in. Then that way I would see the act as giving to the child's experience, but not to the doctrines behind the school's existence.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
(10-03-2012 12:20 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I guess for me, I would feel there was a difference to donating to the school's operating expenses versus sponsoring something the child is directly involved in. Then that way I would see the act as giving to the child's experience, but not to the doctrines behind the school's existence.

I agree and would only add the caveat that for me, it really depends on the specific activity.
Are they raising funds for a field trip to the creatard museum? Then my answer is no.
Are they raising funds to buy books for their library? Then my answer is no.
Are they raising funds for sports uniforms or equipment? I can be persuaded to donate for that.
A fine line maybe, but I see it that way.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like TalladegaTom's post
10-03-2012, 10:40 AM
I think Erx has it right and even TT has some fine points. Though I'd be cool with buying books for the library but i'd do it my way and actually buy the books to donate. Some science here, a little science there... some mythology history....

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post
10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Donate only if they agree to wear a Thinking Atheist t-shirt on the activity.
In fact, make that the donation.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 5 users Like Thomas's post
10-03-2012, 02:26 PM
If its a Christian school I don't donate to them, but if its a good kid I'll buy them something nice, like a book they've been wanting.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
11-03-2012, 05:43 AM
I'd have to say I wouldn't donate unless it was something completely unrelated to the religious part of the school, which, considering the heavy influence of religious within a Christian school, limits it.
11-03-2012, 06:58 AM
The sad thing is that christian institutions generally provide better services because they have more money. Just donate to a secular school and when asked by the christian counterpart, say that you already donated at the other school.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man