Christian School Horror Stories - A.C.E. Curriculum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Christian School Horror Stories - A.C.E. Curriculum
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and have been listening to The Thinking Atheist Podcast for almost a year now. I came across this podcast and others at a time when I began struggling with my fundamentalist Christian faith, and was seeking other points of view that I had been sheltered from my entire childhood. Now I am completely agnostic, and am trying to find my place in a brave new world.

I was raised in a Christian school that used the A.C.E. (Accelerated Christian Education) curriculum. Schools utilizing this curriculum do not have teachers teaching in front of a class, but rather you have supervisors and monitors that are in the class to answer questions you may come across while completing your self-paced PACE's (individual booklets that cover a range of subjects). Mind you, we did not sit in a normal desk, we sat in a box facing a bulletin board on the wall filled with our daily activity goals and milestones. We were not permitted to talk in class, but rather had to put a miniature flag in a little hole on top of the divider to "flag down" the supervisor, then wait for them to come answer our question.

I shudder just recalling those days. The curriculum itself taught a completely fundamentalist version of Christianity, including promoting young earth creationism and claiming evolution has been disproved, humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time, homosexuality is a learned behavior and whole assortment of other falsities. In addition to this, Bible memorization is emphasized over any of the other subjects. Since losing my faith, I've gone back and researched ACE, and have begun to realize how brain-washed they made me. So much of what I learned I am now having to re-learn. If you want to know more about this "education" system I had to endure, Scientific American did a blog post on it.

I just wanted to see if any of you were familiar with this curriculum, and if so, perhaps we can share some horror-stories about it. Apparently, A.C.E. has infiltrated a large number of American and UK private schools, some of which get government funding. I'd love to hear some stories!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2016, 10:55 PM
RE: Christian School Horror Stories - A.C.E. Curriculum
That sounds horrible. That Christianity is some fucked up shit.

Welcome to the forum. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
12-05-2016, 01:53 AM
Sounds like a pretty dreadful way to treat kids. Hope you find a bit of sanity on the forum.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
12-05-2016, 04:59 AM
I've heard of this curriculum.
12-05-2016, 05:28 AM
I never heard of that curriculum and I must say it sounds horrible.
Welcome to the forum.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
12-05-2016, 05:37 AM
I spent a year at a school that used this curriculum. I was 15 and already deconverting. It sped up the process exponentially. The work wasn't particularly hard, and I often finished my daily goals (and then some) by lunch.

But yeah... it's just an cult of "education". The one I went to was really small, and was mostly used as a white-flight school for kids whose parents didn't want them going to school with "the kneegruhs".

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
13-05-2016, 09:46 PM
(12-05-2016 05:37 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I spent a year at a school that used this curriculum. I was 15 and already deconverting. It sped up the process exponentially. The work wasn't particularly hard, and I often finished my daily goals (and then some) by lunch.

But yeah... it's just an cult of "education". The one I went to was really small, and was mostly used as a white-flight school for kids whose parents didn't want them going to school with "the kneegruhs".

That about sums it up. Only it wasn't so much about race in my school, but about being separated from the "evils" the public schools propagated. Like you said, it wasn't very difficult work. I thought I was a lot smarter than I really was until I got out into the real world.
22-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Hi Bradley~

It seems to me you were cheated of a legitimate education of which you were entitled to as a US citizen. I can't see how teaching a kid creationism is even legal. I would certainly look into suing that school. They violated your human rights on so many levels. I wonder if the FFRF (Freedom From Religion Foundation) has filed any lawsuits against schools of this ilk. I'd check with the FFRF first. Annie Lorrie Gaylor and Dan Barker of FFRF do great work!

Tallulah
22-05-2016, 10:58 AM
A couple of years ago I was at my mother's house and went thru a lot of stuff from when I was a kid. I found my 7th grade science book. Chapter 6 hinted that there were some strange people that had other ideas about how the earth started other than that God did it one fine week, because he had nobody to talk to, the chapter said there are other ideas, but all proof is toward creation. I expected that maybe the next chapter would start to present some of that proof, but just like our intermittent visitors here who say they came to answer our poor stupid questions, and then don't the next chapter was all about something else.