Christian Scientists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Christian Scientists
How is it possible to be a christian and also a scientist at the same time?

Me no understand
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2015, 10:13 AM
RE: Christian Scientists
Compartmentalization. They have a little safe place in their brains for all the irrational stuff.
[+] 7 users Like pablo's post
22-01-2015, 10:13 AM
(22-01-2015 10:03 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  How is it possible to be a christian and also a scientist at the same time?

Me no understand

If you are trying to justify the bible with it you are not being ethical. But it is possible for believers with degrees to keep their holy books out of a lab. But as I said before that is still a bullshit dodge to cling to an old book.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2015, 12:34 PM
(22-01-2015 10:03 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  How is it possible to be a christian and also a scientist at the same time?

Me no understand

Depends on the science. If they are computer scientists or even social scientists they may just not be that well versed on the natural sciences. They were probably raised Christian but not zealous ones and so it never really came into conflict with their every day research.
22-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Me no understand

Some of the big breakthroughs in chemistry, astrophysics, and biology were made by religious scientists. Their religion fueled their quest to learn more about what they considered to be God's creation. These endeavors, however, caused the gaps in human knowledge to shrink, making a creator less necessary.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
22-01-2015, 01:00 PM
I think it is also possible to be a Christian without necessarily believing that everything in the Bible is scientifically and historically accurate. I don't see how a Biblical literalist could be a scientist, but for a liberal Christian, it may not be as much of a challenge. The universe operates according to scientific laws and principles, but God created those laws and principles, and can violate them when he wishes (as in the resurrection of Jesus). I don't believe any of that, but I can see how someone could.
22-01-2015, 01:52 PM
(22-01-2015 10:13 AM)pablo Wrote:  Compartmentalization. They have a little safe place in their brains for all the irrational stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment...chology%29

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Jumbo Shrimp.

Oh I'm sorry I thought we were listing oxy-morons.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
22-01-2015, 02:35 PM

Me no understand

When you make stuff up, anything is possible.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
22-01-2015, 04:40 PM
The thread title mislead me into thinking the subject matter was Church of Christ, Scientist. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Christian Science because these people are honest and put their money where their mouth is - shunning medical science for the power of prayers instead. Sure, their population is declining rapidly due to ... uh ... deaths, but I have the utmost respect for them ;-)