Christian Scientists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2015, 11:29 AM
RE: Christian Scientists
(22-01-2015 01:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 10:13 AM)pablo Wrote:  Compartmentalization. They have a little safe place in their brains for all the irrational stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment...chology%29

If what you are saying is correct, who would that make irrational people?

Lavoisier
Pascal
Mendel
etc.

That's not a fair judgment of scientists who were Christians with theoretically high IQs and world-changing achievements, is it?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2015, 11:41 AM
(27-01-2015 11:29 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 01:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartment...chology%29

If what you are saying is correct, who would that make irrational people?

Lavoisier
Pascal
Mendel
etc.

That's not a fair judgment of scientists who were Christians with theoretically high IQs and world-changing achievements, is it?

What? Do you even know how to comprehend simple posts by people? He didn't call them irrational. He's saying they compartmentalized which is an irrational act every human does to some extent... no he's saying even genius's with high IQs are victims of the same mental traps nearly every human has been a victim of.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
27-01-2015, 12:00 PM
(27-01-2015 11:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What? Do you even know how to comprehend simple posts by people? He didn't call them irrational. He's saying they compartmentalized which is an irrational act every human does to some extent... no he's saying even genius's with high IQs are victims of the same mental traps nearly every human has been a victim of.

That would require his myriad of compartments to communicate with each other. His name should be "The Q Compartment".

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
27-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Not a problem if you're an alchemist......

Dodgy

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Besides the compartmentalization going on, it is obvious that scientists that label themselves as christian do not take the stories in the bible as literal, and do the same cherry picking as all believers do in order to minimize all the contradictions between knowledge, logic and scripture. In other words, there would be a whole bunch of the non-scientific christian types calling the scientists "not true christians". Gasp

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
28-01-2015, 11:32 AM
(27-01-2015 11:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 11:29 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  If what you are saying is correct, who would that make irrational people?

Lavoisier
Pascal
Mendel
etc.

What? Do you even know how to comprehend simple posts by people? He didn't call them irrational. He's saying they compartmentalized which is an irrational act every human does to some extent... no he's saying even genius's with high IQs are victims of the same mental traps nearly every human has been a victim of.

Here is the quote:

Quote:Compartmentalization. They have a little safe place in their brains for all the irrational stuff.

Rational people say, "X seems irrational. I don't have an answer for this right now but I'll research this..." and the post was designed to link Christian theism with irrationality and illogic. Or are you going to tell me Christianity is logical, and rational?! Really?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
28-01-2015, 12:30 PM
As Gould said of science and religion, they are non-overlapping magisteria.

Some scientists are also christian because science doesn't require an opinion one way or another on religion. So as long as their religious beliefs don't become entangled in the research they are doing, then there is no issue with the science they produce.

It is the same way if you asked how someone could be an accountant and a christian. The process itself, and the knowledge necessary to do it, don't hinge upon any opinion on religion.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
28-01-2015, 01:38 PM
(22-01-2015 10:03 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  How is it possible to be a christian and also a scientist at the same time?

Me no understand

Cognitive dissonance must be a big part of it for legitimate christian scientists...

(28-01-2015 11:32 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 11:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What? Do you even know how to comprehend simple posts by people? He didn't call them irrational. He's saying they compartmentalized which is an irrational act every human does to some extent... no he's saying even genius's with high IQs are victims of the same mental traps nearly every human has been a victim of.

Here is the quote:

Quote:Compartmentalization. They have a little safe place in their brains for all the irrational stuff.

Rational people say, "X seems irrational. I don't have an answer for this right now but I'll research this..." and the post was designed to link Christian theism with irrationality and illogic. Or are you going to tell me Christianity is logical, and rational?! Really?

Protip; reply to posts you are replying to, not their replies.

I certainly wont tell you anything of the sort. Any belief system which involves talking donkeys and serpents, supermen who draw strength from the length of their hair and require days to exist without near-by orbiting bodies is exempt from being classified as logical and rational. Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
28-01-2015, 04:23 PM
(28-01-2015 11:32 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

Here is the quote:

It's saying that to some, like scientists, religious thinking gets compartmentalized in peoples minds an irrational way.

Being religious or having compartmentalized irrational thoughts doesn't mean the people doing this "are irrational people" as you put it. Having compartmentalized irrational thoughts doesn't make you an irrational person.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-01-2015, 04:29 PM
How about we stick with scientists working post-1859. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]