Christian Scientists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2015, 12:01 PM
RE: Christian Scientists
This is for you, Q. I think Whiskey is running a little low and we wouldn't want you to develop a prolapse.

[Image: 27383.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2015, 12:39 PM
(06-02-2015 12:01 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This is for you, Q. I think Whiskey is running a little low and we wouldn't want you to develop a prolapse.

Am I to be led to believe that, following a post like that, you are really a "scientist" as your avatar says, an academic who is courteous in discourse to others with opposing views? Because being abjectly rude to your detractors re: matters of science is hardly Hegelian in growing in knowledge. I was taught from my youth to vigorously debate anyone re: any knowledge base yet without being crass or rude. You? Perhaps if I was Galileo and you the Pope you might wall me in somewhere...

...I don't mind telling you the last resort of desperate debaters are slurs. I wrote a detailed, thoughtful post, and took much time. I'm showing you more respect than you are showing me here.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2015, 12:47 PM
(06-02-2015 12:39 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-02-2015 12:01 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This is for you, Q. I think Whiskey is running a little low and we wouldn't want you to develop a prolapse.

Am I to be led to believe that, following a post like that, you are really a "scientist" as your avatar says, an academic who is courteous in discourse to others with opposing views? Because being abjectly rude to your detractors re: matters of science is hardly Hegelian in growing in knowledge. I was taught from my youth to vigorously debate anyone re: any knowledge base yet without being crass or rude. You? Perhaps if I was Galileo and you the Pope you might wall me in somewhere...

...I don't mind telling you the last resort of desperate debaters are slurs. I wrote a detailed, thoughtful post, and took much time. I'm showing you more respect than you are showing me here.

Being a scientist does not require one to be polite or even pleasant. Sir Isaac Newton was not. And he was a theist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-02-2015, 01:02 PM

Calm down there Q. You were made the butt end of a joke because you have not presented any argument that any scientist would consider worthy of consideration. Your emotionally fueled opinions have been taken down and all you do is whine. I am a scientist also and if someone told me my opinions and feelings about some concept were shit, I would look at the basis of my thought process and either prove the idea with evidence and facts, or admit I was way off and forge ahead with a new idea.

Why are these philosophical arguments of the supernatural woo world always put up against real science and critical thought? It just does not make for a fruitful debate. Q, rattle off your philosophies about magic to someone who cares and don't waste your time with folks who have decided not to abandon their cognitive thinking skills.

Oh, and still waiting for you to learn something as you have stated is 50% of your goal here!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 5 users Like Timber1025's post
06-02-2015, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 10:33 PM by The Organic Chemist.)

I don't have to lead you to believe anything. You believe whatever you want. Just because I have a graduate degree, am a published author several times over, and hold 9 patents doesn't mean that I can't make fun of you. You apparently have never been around many scientists, we can have a bit of a crude sense of humor. Come to an ACS meeting to the bars after the symposiums, we like to have a good time. Don't be so butthurt because I was poking fun at you. You totally earned it. And as stated quite nicely by Timber, you have not provided anything that would give me reason to regard you in the manner that you think you are entitled to. You want to be treated like my equal? Then you need to earn that. You may be polite, but that does not erase the fact that your posts are rather pompous, presumptuous, have absolutely no value as evidence, and that you move your arguments as often as the Pats deflate footballs. People keep telling you (and showing you) but you don't seem to pick up on it. Drinking Beverage

Edit: I think that with all the reposts here, you should have plenty of Astroglide now should you try that woo again.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
07-02-2015, 09:31 PM
(04-02-2015 10:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1) the adherent is misunderstanding the scripture 2) over time, as has happened many times before, eventually scientists will reach a new understanding and change the science to match the scriptures.

Utter bullshit!

Where do you come up with this crap? Cite one scientific paper that somewhere in it credits scripture as a source. You claim there are many, cite one you lying, ignorant, disingenuous, pompous, misguided, mendacious, duplicitous, 3rd person talking woo-peddler.

One.

One peer-reviewed paper crediting scripture as a source of new understanding.

I swear I will dog you all over this forum until you either provide one, in which case I will eat my words, or you retract your unsupported assertion.

Where do you think you are? Jesus Camp?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
07-02-2015, 09:54 PM
(07-02-2015 09:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 10:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1) the adherent is misunderstanding the scripture 2) over time, as has happened many times before, eventually scientists will reach a new understanding and change the science to match the scriptures.

Utter bullshit!

Where do you come up with this crap? Cite one scientific paper that somewhere in it credits scripture as a source. You claim there are many, cite one you lying, ignorant, disingenuous, pompous, misguided, mendacious, duplicitous, 3rd person talking woo-peddler.

One.

I swear I will dog you all over this forum until you either provide one, in which case I will eat my words, or you retract your unsupported assertion.

There have been plenty of times when scientists discovered that the bible was right. You know, like the time they discovered that the Earth had corners... Hold on, that's not right... Uh, like the time they discovered the ferma... ment... Oh.
What about the time that um... there was that globally deposited silt layer indicating a global flood? No? Okay, dove-blood curing disease? Wrong too, huh?

Shit.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
07-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Quote:...eventually scientists will reach a new understanding and change the science to match the scriptures.

In other words, intentionally make it wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-02-2015, 10:15 AM
(07-02-2015 09:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Utter bullshit!

One.

You'll want to reread my posts in this thread. All I said was that there have been a number of issues which science refuted before later recanting its stance due to new... whatever, archaeological finds and so on.

I'd refer everyone to a related thread where we are discussing the expansion of the universe (as described in the scriptures) compared to current Steady State and Big Bang models.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Saw this topic and wanted to ask if anyone had read that Val Kilmer's religious beliefs kept him from seeking medical treatment for a throat tumor. Those religious beliefs would be Christian Scientist. I have to admit that I never knew what Christian Scientists believe and had to look it up. My first thought was, "Seriously? You've got to be kidding!"
[+] 1 user Likes Whimsymum's post