Christian Spotlight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Christian Spotlight
After seeing the recent thread about "Christian Movies", I was reminded of a film-review website geared toward the Christian community. Every so often, when in need of a stupidity-fix, I go there to see what christians are saying about the latest films.

The ratings system for such films is measured in levels of "morality". This is meant to inform possible viewers about how "offensive" (to the Christian sensibility) a given film may be. For example, a film like "Lady and the Tramp" may have a moral rating of "Good", whereas a film like "American Pie" would have a rating of "Extremely Offensive".
This sounds somewhat reasonable enough (for uptight christians, anyway), but the moral rating does not simply rate what is directly depicted in a film (such as sex, violence, language, etc.). It also rates the overall message, as well as what minor details any given christian may be deeply offended by. With this being the case, even the most innocent of children's films may be rated as "Extremely Offensive" due to a simple depiction of comic mischief or, in some cases ("Paranorman", "Brave"), due to the fact that a film accepted, rather than condemned, those with differing beliefs/lifestyles. This means that a film which depicts everyone getting along, rather than burning the proverbial witch, will be rated as being extremely offensive.

I am an individual who has a deep appreciation for the art of cinema, and when I read some of the things posted to this site, I am infuriated. Otherwise commendable films are condemned as nothing more than "wordly" garbage; as though every film ever created were supposed to be a moral tale that Christ himself would promote. When site-users tune in with their own reviews, this closed-minded absurdity is put on ever-more ghastly display. They proudly relay their respective tales of how they march their families out of the film(s) and demand to have their money back. They then proceed on a tangent regarding how the film did not jive with their personal morals, and why it should therefore be demonized.

I simply had to vent about this. It sickens me that these people truly know no bounds. Their irrationality MUST touch everyone and everything in some way. Such is Jesus' wish. Angry

http://www.christiananswers.net/spotlight/

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Christian Spotlight
Ha! I remember going to those kinds of websites before going to a movie. Weeping

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
30-11-2012, 08:36 PM
RE: Christian Spotlight
OMG this site is a fucking comedy show.

Unintentionally so but holy crap it's hilariously sad.

Just for shits and giggles I took a look at what it had to say about Paranorman because I figured it would get some pretty solid evil comments. I wasn't disappointed.

Christians sure know how to take the wrong things seriously... not to mention sap the joy out of every last detail in life.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
30-11-2012, 09:59 PM
(30-11-2012 08:36 PM)lucradis Wrote:  OMG this site is a fucking comedy show.

Just for shits and giggles I took a look at what it had to say about Paranorman because I figured it would get some pretty solid evil comments. I wasn't disappointed.

Christians sure know how to take the wrong things seriously... not to mention sap the joy out of every last detail in life.
Let's not be too hasty to judge. They're also the ones to give us the Missionary Position. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
30-11-2012, 10:16 PM
(30-11-2012 09:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Let's not be too hasty to judge. They're also the ones to give us the Missionary Position. Drinking Beverage
Yeah, but no other positions than that; with the lights out; for procreation purposes only.

It was us filthy heathens who made it fun. Thumbsup

30-11-2012, 10:21 PM

What I found especially ironic about Paranorman was that the christians who condemn it are the very likeness of the "puritans" who killed the little girl a few hundred years before and set everything in motion. The entire film would be one big wake-up call to them. That is, if they were intelligent enough to grasp it.

01-12-2012, 02:10 AM
This is entertaining!

The town I lived in when Disney's The Princess Frog came out was in a huge uproar about how bad it is, some pulled their kids out of the theatre part way through. Too much magic, voodoo, spells and evil. Ha ha. No thought to cultural reference.