Christian Symbols in Public

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Christian Symbols in Public
Before I was an atheist, I used to see Christian religious symbols as normal in public. How, I can't help but see it as alien. I don't hate, but I don't like it. I passed by baby Jesus statues and church boards with messages on them ("Jesus put the Christ in Christmas"). It just feels so strange.

It just seems so abnormal how people find it so important to push their beliefs on others that they present their personal religion on public display. What if Muslims/Jews started displaying their religious symbols on the side of the street? How would people feel then?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 05:59 PM
RE: Christian Symbols in Public
Look no further than NYC, tear them down of course.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mosq...-1.1749007

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-01-2015, 06:00 PM
On private property or church property, have at it Hoss!
01-01-2015, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 11:30 AM by CleverUsername.)
If they didn't constantly have symbols around to remind them of their god's supposed existence they might realize he's not actually taking part in their lives or affecting anything and in fact might not even exist, and that that wouldn't really be that bad cause, hey, they already live without him.

I pretty much put it on the same level as those car decals or t-shirts that show various characters; there seems to be something oddly appealing about publicly showing what you like. Theists just feel the need to do it all the time, in incredibly obnoxious ways, and cry persecution if anyone expresses dislike of it.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
01-01-2015, 06:17 PM
(01-01-2015 06:15 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  If they didn't constantly have symbols around to remind them of their god's supposed existence they might realize he's not actually taking part in their lives or affecting anything and in fact might not even exist, and that that wouldn't really be that bad cause, hey, they already live without him.

On a less cynical note, I pretty much put it on the same level as those car decals or t-shirts that show various characters; there's something kind of appealing yet hard to pin down about publicly showing what you like. Theists just feel the need to do it all the time, in incredibly obnoxious ways, and cry persecution if anyone expresses dislike of it.

Shit, I'm persecuting people with my dislike of their public religious imagery?! Gasp

Call the FBI and arrest me!

Hobo
01-01-2015, 06:21 PM
And to the opposite effect, I don't dislike Christmas trees or Christmas imagery. It's more detached from religion now a days and feels more festive. It's when people start associating Christmas with Jesus that it bothers me more.
01-01-2015, 06:23 PM
I grew up in a town of about 3000 people. I went to elementary school and middle school in the shadow of this:

[Image: 4464505561_db68d77353.jpg]

You could see the twin spires for miles in all directions. I guess I am sort of immune to the religious symbols. After a while the basilica was just part of the scenery to me. When you can blot this out as part of the scenery, you can pretty much ignore the little stuff.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
02-01-2015, 12:03 AM
(01-01-2015 06:23 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I grew up in a town of about 3000 people. I went to elementary school and middle school in the shadow of this:

[Image: 4464505561_db68d77353.jpg]

You could see the twin spires for miles in all directions. I guess I am sort of immune to the religious symbols. After a while the basilica was just part of the scenery to me. When you can blot this out as part of the scenery, you can pretty much ignore the little stuff.

It's a beautiful building, even with the symbols of torture. I like it because it's a reminder to them that they are the majority and not persecuted at all.
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post