Christian Travel Destinations

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
01-05-2015, 07:25 PM
RE: Christian Travel Destinations
Ave Maria Grotto

It's in North Alabama in one of the backwood towns I lived in growing up.

It's basically a bunch of trash glued together over 50 years by a hunchback monk at St. Bernard (pronounced like ber-nerd, cause heaven forbid it sound like the dog) to look like historic religious buildings.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
01-05-2015, 07:28 PM
(01-05-2015 07:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 07:09 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I'm not going to admit how I know about this one... but, I have seen this door myself.
Jesus On a Hospital Door

Interesting Consider but but ...did u see Jesus?!!

Heh, well, I could see what resembled a person's face. I wasn't terribly impressed. Maybe it's just because I don't believe. Maybe Jesus was withholding the revelation of his glory from me.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
01-05-2015, 07:36 PM
(01-05-2015 07:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Ave Maria Grotto

It's basically a bunch of trash glued together over 50 years by a hunchback monk at St. Bernard (pronounced like ber-nerd, cause heaven forbid it sound like the dog) to look like historic religious buildings.

Wow, that's actually kind of impressive. I like that he threw in some pagan temples for good measure lol
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-05-2015, 10:49 PM
(01-05-2015 07:25 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Ave Maria Grotto

My father went to St. Bernard college in the 1950’s, played on the football team.

When my parent’s married they took a ferry from Havana to Miami then drove to St. Bernard. I may have been conceived there Weeping

True story.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-05-2015, 06:05 AM
(29-04-2015 11:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Going here on my next vacation...NOT!!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/8992

Any silly ones in your state?

I wouldn't mind going there with some dark brown paint -- to color Jesus in properly......

I'm sure they'd appreciate it...

Laughat

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-05-2015, 06:13 AM
(01-05-2015 07:28 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 07:21 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Interesting Consider but but ...did u see Jesus?!!

Heh, well, I could see what resembled a person's face. I wasn't terribly impressed. Maybe it's just because I don't believe. Maybe Jesus was withholding the revelation of his glory from me.

Your testimony is awesome.

Not really a religious spot, but might be worth seeing just to challenge God. Deadly curve of crosses. "If Brakes Fail, Ditch Truck Immediately."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-05-2015, 07:01 AM
(01-05-2015 10:49 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  When my parents married they took a ferry from Havana to Miami then drove to St. Bernard. I may have been conceived there Weeping

If they named you Bernie you could be pretty certain.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
02-05-2015, 07:06 AM
(02-05-2015 06:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 07:28 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Heh, well, I could see what resembled a person's face. I wasn't terribly impressed. Maybe it's just because I don't believe. Maybe Jesus was withholding the revelation of his glory from me.

Your testimony is awesome.

Not really a religious spot, but might be worth seeing just to challenge God. Deadly curve of crosses. "If Brakes Fail, Ditch Truck Immediately."

Maybe they could just try and do something to fix the curve instead of putting up more crosses Shocking
02-05-2015, 07:44 AM
(02-05-2015 07:06 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 06:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Your testimony is awesome.

Maybe they could just try and do something to fix the curve instead of putting up more crosses Shocking

I think the other side of the retaining wall is a drop off so no real way to fix it. They did build a runaway truck ramp in 2005. The current advice to truckers is to use an alternate route to get to Luke, MD (although it's not clear why anyone would be going to 0.25 sq mile population 65 Luke, MD in the first place).

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-05-2015, 07:58 AM
http://www.xavierbasilica.com/

Tours available...I grew up in the shadow of this monstrosity. Have been up in the steeples though that was strongly discouraged. Probably where my fear of heights comes from.

If in the area, I would suggest this instead...

http://www.fodmoviesite.com/

Both built because of a fantasy but I put more faith into Field of Dreams. I actually know some of the ghost players. Tongue

Brain is misfiring this morning...posted in the wrong thread...then wondered where it was...must have inhaled too much chlorine when cleaning the pool this morning. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post