Christian Vs Atheist debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2017, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2017 02:07 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
Christian Vs Atheist debate
I am currently engaging in a debate with an aspiring Christian Pastor.
He is an old friend of mine who has recently undergone some life changes resulting in a new found passion for Christ.
The result of which is he sends everyone in his WhatsApp daily messages about the Bible & Jesus.
I have been ignoring these messages for quite some time now because I didn't want to lose his friendship as a result of my objection.
A few days ago I explained to him that I am an Atheist & these daily messages don't do anything for me & I have quite a few objections to most of them.
He said that he is more than willing to discuss my objections and show me the flaws in my thinking.
The discussion has now started & a thought just occurred to me.
What if I posted his responses here & have you guys give me your responses to what he says.
The result of which I will use the responses I most agree with in my replies to him.

My apologies in advance if your reply doesn't make it into the debate but I plan on using the most convincing arguments (by my standards) in this debate.
If mods are ok with this please move to the Vipers Pit. If not please delete.

Thanks in advance.
Respectfully Shane.

P.S. I already have his permission to use outside help to help reply to his arguments as long as I do not use his name or give out personal details.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2017, 02:07 PM
RE: Christian Vs Atheist debate
Sharing his comments without his permission is, IMO, not appropriate, even if we don't know who he is.

Not cool.
30-01-2017, 02:29 PM
(30-01-2017 02:07 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Sharing his comments without his permission is, IMO, not appropriate, even if we don't know who he is.

Not cool.
I agree but...
I said he already gave his permission to seek outside help. This means I'm allowed to repeat his messages.
He is an aspiring Pastor & does not mind his message being repeated.
30-01-2017, 02:31 PM
(30-01-2017 02:29 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 02:07 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Sharing his comments without his permission is, IMO, not appropriate, even if we don't know who he is.

Not cool.
I agree but...
I said he already gave his permission to seek outside help. This means I'm allowed to repeat his messages.

But we don't have any way of validating that, you're just asking us to take your word for it. (and judging from your forum reviews, a lot of people here have some trust issues with you).

If you want to present a one-sided debate on the forum, you should make it so that your "opponent" remains anonymous. Who the person is, is irrelevant to us anyways.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-01-2017, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2017 02:57 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(30-01-2017 02:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 02:29 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I agree but...

But we don't have any way of validating that, you're just asking us to take your word for it. (and judging from your forum reviews, a lot of people here have some trust issues with you).

If you want to present a one-sided debate on the forum, you should make it so that your "opponent" remains anonymous. Who the person is, is irrelevant to us anyways.
I don't understand what you are objecting to.
I already said he gave permission for me to repeat his arguments.
I already said he will remain anonymous.
Given the overwhelming amount of aspiring Pastors around the world I don't think I have given out any useful information about him.

If anything I say will reveal the author's identity then ban me and delete the thread.
If I am caught plagiarizing then ban me & delete the thread.

Side Note: Never once has their trust issues been justified outside of an accusation so why judge me based on that? Many members here will demonize anyone that has a difference of opinion from the status quo of Atheists. To make matters worst I am also an Atheists & no one here has denied that. I just have a different way of viewing things than the majority.
Do you think it is fair to judge someone based on the views of only a few without proper justification?
I know of 2 of my most adamant opponents on this board that has now changed their opposition towards me after getting to know me a bit. The proof is in my rep as well. Don't be so quick to judge.
30-01-2017, 02:57 PM
(30-01-2017 02:52 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 02:31 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But we don't have any way of validating that, you're just asking us to take your word for it. (and judging from your forum reviews, a lot of people here have some trust issues with you).

I don't understand what you are objecting to.
I already said he gave permission for me to repeat his arguments.
I already said he will remain anonymous.

If anything I say will reveal the author's identity then ban me and delete the thread.
If I am caught plagiarizing then ban me & delete the thread.

Side Note: Never once has their trust issues been justified outside of an accusation so why judge me based on that? Many members here will demonize anyone that has a difference of opinion from the status quo of Atheists. To make matters worst I am also an Atheists & no one here has denied that. I just have a different way of viewing things than the majority.
Do you think it is fair to judge someone based on the views of only a few without proper justification?
I know of 2 of my most adamant opponents on this board that has now changed their opposition towards me after getting to know me a bit. The proof is in my rep as well. Don't be so quick to judge.

Pull the stick from you ass and don't take things so personal. It's the internet, where no one knows you're a cat.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-01-2017, 02:59 PM
At work.

Well.... there's nothing the average punter can do either way in regards to your posts, A_Shane so in a way you're free to go for it.

Am sure the mods will keep a weather eye on things.

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
30-01-2017, 05:12 PM
(30-01-2017 02:59 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Well.... there's nothing the average punter can do either way in regards to your posts, A_Shane so in a way you're free to go for it.

Am sure the mods will keep a weather eye on things.

Thumbsup
That's all the motivation I need. Thanks.
30-01-2017, 09:17 PM
(30-01-2017 02:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I am currently engaging in a debate with an aspiring Christian Pastor.

I have to ask "why"? You know it'll be as productive as banging your head against a brick wall.

Quote:He is an old friend of mine who has recently undergone some life changes resulting in a new found passion for Christ.

This alone makes things worse.

Quote:The result of which is he sends everyone in his WhatsApp daily messages about the Bible & Jesus.

Totally uncalled for and invasive of your personal space, more particularly as he knows you're an atheist. I have zero time for religious proselytisers.

Quote:A few days ago I explained to him that I am an Atheist & these daily messages don't do anything for me & I have quite a few objections to most of them. He said that he is more than willing to discuss my objections and show me the flaws in my thinking.

Even more offensive—sanctimonious, patronising, arrogant, and totally unworthy of your time or effort. This guy doesn't want a discussion; he wants a conversion. Do you really need this smug, bigoted individual as a friend?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
31-01-2017, 05:43 AM
(30-01-2017 09:17 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 02:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I am currently engaging in a debate with an aspiring Christian Pastor.

I have to ask "why"? You know it'll be as productive as banging your head against a brick wall.

Quote:He is an old friend of mine who has recently undergone some life changes resulting in a new found passion for Christ.

This alone makes things worse.

Quote:The result of which is he sends everyone in his WhatsApp daily messages about the Bible & Jesus.

Totally uncalled for and invasive of your personal space, more particularly as he knows you're an atheist. I have zero time for religious proselytisers.

Quote:A few days ago I explained to him that I am an Atheist & these daily messages don't do anything for me & I have quite a few objections to most of them. He said that he is more than willing to discuss my objections and show me the flaws in my thinking.

Even more offensive—sanctimonious, patronising, arrogant, and totally unworthy of your time or effort. This guy doesn't want a discussion; he wants a conversion. Do you really need this smug, bigoted individual as a friend?
I've known him since small. Some friends you are just stuck with for life. Many great times together before we got older.
I won't know if it's useless until I try.