Christian advert banned in UK cinemas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2015, 05:10 AM
Christian advert banned in UK cinemas
Cinema chains refuse to show advert featuring Lord's Prayer

Quote:The 60-second advert was due to be shown before Star Wars: the Force Awakens, which is released on 18 December and has already smashed records for advance ticket sales at UK cinemas.

It was cleared by the Cinema Advertising Authority and the British Board of Film Classification, but the Odeon, Cineworld and Vue chains – which control 80% of screens around the country – have refused to show the advert because they believe it “carries the risk of upsetting, or offending, audiences”, the church said.

Basically cinemas don't want to cause any negative feelings in their audiences by showing adverts regarding politics or religion. Their function is to provide entertainment to whoever pays for it and for the customer to enjoy their night out so it's bad business to annoy them. The Church of England calls it a "chilling effect on free speech”.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2015, 05:32 AM
RE: Christian advert banned in UK cinemas
bah, here comes the *persecution* whining...

[Image: 004.sig]
22-11-2015, 05:38 AM
Too bad. Religious advertisements are entertaining.

'Murican Canadian
22-11-2015, 06:06 AM
Make your own fucking movie. Show all the jebus propaganda you like.... These cunts would scream bleeding hemmeroids if the Pastafarians wanted to put a pirate commercial before the next Gawdly flick.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-11-2015, 06:32 AM
(22-11-2015 05:10 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The Church of England calls it a "chilling effect on free speech”.

If the government was saying that they could not show it then they would have an argument. it's like the whole "War on Christmas" nonsense... when a business decides to limit something in order to remain unbiased towards ALL of its customers that isn't an attack on free speech.

I really hate the idea that your right to free speech implies that you also have a right to make people listen to you.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
22-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Underlying message:

"Christianity is bad for business."

Same happened in Oz when companies refused to heed the call from the Cafia Church to go all anti-gay.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-11-2015, 07:25 AM
This free speech thing almost makes me want to hand out flyers in front of a church that discusses how violent christians can be toward people who hand out flyers.

Eventually someone will snap, proving my point Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
22-11-2015, 07:47 AM
(22-11-2015 05:10 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The Church of England calls it a "chilling effect on free speech”.

That is such bullshit.

We could sit here and make a list as long as my arm on topics that are bad for business and inappropriate for showing to a paying, captive audience in good old Britain.

Would the Church of England call it a “chilling effect on free speech” if the theatre chains refused to show ads regarding:

Satanic covens
Islamic recruitments
Abortion clinics
Guns sales
blah blah blah

(Fade in to an aerial of Amsterdam, a saxophone begins to play sultry music. Cut to a car entering the English side of the Chunnel.)
“Come to Amsterdam, enjoy our beautiful city, visit our Red Light district and enjoy carnal knowledge with some of the most beautiful men and women in Europe, (silhouttes of naked people in display windows waft across the screen) afterwards visit one of our many cannabis shops...Amsterdam...damn! (A closeup of Stark smoking a bong fills the screen, he looks perfectly content.) Smokin (Roll credits)

Yeah, don’t think so. Too bad.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-11-2015, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2015 07:53 AM by Mathilda.)
There's a banner outside a church here that has on it "Try praying". I just want to add a two headed arrow to indicate that the A and R should change places and add in a T after them.

What I like about the news article is that it indicates that the church is so irrelevant and annoying in the UK that even a simple advert showing people praying will annoy people enough to be dropped from cinemas. It is an encouraging sign.

Unfortunately even though only 10% of the population are regular church going Christians in the UK, the church still has a lot of political power because our political system is derived from the feudal system.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
22-11-2015, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't go to the cinema to hear the Lords Prayer in the same way that I wouldn't go to church to watch Star Wars.
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post