"Christian bigot"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2010, 12:36 PM
"Christian bigot"
Well, its time for me to look into myself, and determine whether I have become descriminatory towards a certain group based on a stereotype. I wonder how many are willing to take this journey with me, and be truly honest with everyone, including themselves.

I was responding to another thread, when I realized that I was making a comment that stereotyped theists. The question I have to ask myself is, "am I being unfair, and judging a group, the same way I am claiming they judge me based on the fact that I am an atheist?"

Sadly, I think the answer is yes. I believe myself to be an open minded, free thinking person. I suppose that sometimes that forces me to ask myself some very tough questions. As a result, I am finding a side of me that I don't really like. Change is never easy, but it is time for me to change some of the ways I think about theists. Stereotyping is something I despise, and realizing I am doing it myself is a tough thing to admit. So, the journey begins.....

Heres the thread topic: How many of you are prejudiced towards theists? Why? Is it something you feel is unfair? If so, how will you begin to change?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2010, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2010 01:42 PM by ashley.hunt60.)
RE: "Christian bigot"
I know I am. I realized this when I felt wrong going to a theist website. And that is why I want to find a good one, so I can find and talk with reasonable theists.

I know it's unfair, and I'm sure there must be reasonable ones out there, but I'm having trouble finding them. If you find such a person/place, tell me. I openly admit I'm prejudice, and I hate it. I'm hopeful that forcing myself to see decent people with dispel this.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
20-03-2010, 01:39 PM

I don't know if ANY of us should really feel ANY guilt at all. The reason I say this is simple: how many times have you had a difference of opinion with someone else and felt somewhat superior to them (whether it was simply because you felt you were MORE right than the other, or that your opinion was shared by a greater amount of people)?

What I find calms my fears about being bigoted is that the atheist train of thought is based on scientific evidence to back it up, where as the theist one is purely of 'faith'. Does it make me a bigot? Well, maybe, for that particular part of the debate (proving/disproving god, the bible, etc). However, although this bigotry may seem at the forefront, I keep in mind that the person I am debating is a human being afterall, with a family, friends, their own emotions, etc. If I was to spew hatred about the person DIRECTLY, then I would be guilty of bigotry. If we only attack the theology that they seem to have faith in, I don't consider that bigotry. Keep the personal attacks out of the discussion, and bigotry will not be a problem.
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Feeling bigoted against christianity is like bigotry agianst mother goose or humpty dumpty. It need not be felt as a bigotry. Consider it as a deep understanding of the distinction between reality and fiction. Get real....the jesus story is just that...a story.
20-03-2010, 06:15 PM
(20-03-2010 06:00 PM)Jonandrew Wrote:  Feeling bigoted against christianity is like bigotry agianst mother goose or humpty dumpty. It need not be felt as a bigotry. Consider it as a deep understanding of the distinction between reality and fiction. Get real....the jesus story is just that...a story.

My concern is not whether I am bigoted towards christianity, but towards christians. Whether they believe in a fairy tail or not, christians are, in fact, real. Christianity, as well as any belief system that worships a deity, is rediculous in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that the person who believes it is entirely stupid. When I consider how little my atheism affects my every day life, I am compelled to consider the fact that for many "believers", their religion is a relatively small part of their lives. For that reason, I don't want to fall into the trap of painting all theists with the same brush. They all believe something I find absurd, but they are not all absurd people. Just people with an absurd belief.

Just felt I had to make the destinction between how I feel about christianity and christians.

20-03-2010, 06:28 PM
(20-03-2010 06:15 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  My concern is not whether I am bigoted towards christianity, but towards christians. Whether they believe in a fairy tail or not, christians are, in fact, real. Christianity, as well as any belief system that worships a deity, is rediculous in my opinion, but that doesn't mean that the person who believes it is entirely stupid. When I consider how little my atheism affects my every day life, I am compelled to consider the fact that for many "believers", their religion is a relatively small part of their lives. For that reason, I don't want to fall into the trap of painting all theists with the same brush. They all believe something I find absurd, but they are not all absurd people. Just people with an absurd belief.

Just felt I had to make the destinction between how I feel about christianity and christians.

I am with Stark Raving. I hold no respect for Christianity, but I do respect Christians.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
20-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Humans are victims of the story. Being able to separate humanity from the reality is key to ending the story. There are many 'chriatian' churches that know, accept and preach that the story is just that... a story. So I consider them to have...dare I say...'evolved' beyond the dogma in order to survive as a social order in this day and age...and might I also say..to continue to survive...albeit near impossible. The distinction that needs to be made is that chriatianity at its core is NOT about god. It's about power and control. Let's leave a belief in god or not out of the conversation about chriatianity. It needs to end (meaning christianity) or we will not be able to return to an earth community away from greed, consumerism, power and control, end suffering, poverty, global warming, have natioanlized healthcare and resources and have an educational system designed to develop minds to solve our most complex problems and make it possible for us to continue to evolve.
20-03-2010, 07:51 PM

(20-03-2010 06:37 PM)Jonandrew Wrote:  Humans are victims of the story. Being able to separate humanity from the reality is key to ending the story. There are many 'chriatian' churches that know, accept and preach that the story is just that... a story. So I consider them to have...dare I say...'evolved' beyond the dogma in order to survive as a social order in this day and age...and might I also say..to continue to survive...albeit near impossible. The distinction that needs to be made is that chriatianity at its core is NOT about god. It's about power and control. Let's leave a belief in god or not out of the conversation about chriatianity. It needs to end (meaning christianity) or we will not be able to return to an earth community away from greed, consumerism, power and control, end suffering, poverty, global warming, have natioanlized healthcare and resources and have an educational system designed to develop minds to solve our most complex problems and make it possible for us to continue to evolve.

"...have an educational system designed to develop minds to solve our most complex problems and make it possible for us to continue to evolve..."

Very good point, Jonandrew! Smile
20-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Admittedly, I have preconceived assumptions about someone if the only thing I know about them is that they are a theist (e.g. they are not very rational or that they are not very knowledgeable about the world or reality in general). While I don't particularly like that I automatically think this way, I feel that if my presuppositions hold true for the majority of the theists I come into contact with, it is logical and permissible to have these prepossessed notions as a base to work from until, after accumulating more information, you are able to formulate a mental description which more accurately represents said theist (or any other applicable label you might have preconceptions toward).

I don't consider this bigotry, its natural for our species to have this form of psychological mental process. I personally view bigotry as being the stubborn, close-minded, negative side to this mode of thinking which has the potential to be detrimental to society.
20-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Well, I must thank those of you who shared your perspectives. I still have some things I need to figure out within myself, but it is a comfort to know that I am not alone in some of my perceptions. It also helps that some of you have done a good job of rationalizing the thought process, and given it some validity. Life really is a journey huh? Get in, shut up, and hold on....its gonna be a hell of a ride!!

Thanks guys. Nice to have a group of "like minded" thinkers to bounce this stuff off of.