Christian foster couple lose 'homosexuality views' case

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Christian foster couple lose 'homosexuality views' case
A Christian couple opposed to homosexuality have lost a court battle over their right to become foster carers.

Eunice and Owen Johns, 62 and 65, of Derby, said the city council did not want them to look after children because of their traditional views.

They claim they were "doomed not to be approved" due to their opinions.

The High Court ruled that laws protecting people from sexual discrimination should take precedence.

The Pentecostal Christian couple had applied to Derby City Council to be respite carers.

They withdrew their application after a social worker expressed concerns when they said they could not tell a child a homosexual lifestyle was acceptable.

At the High Court, they asked judges to rule that their faith should not be a bar to them becoming carers, and the law should protect their Christian values.
Moral opinions

But Lord Justice Munby and Mr Justice Beatson ruled that laws protecting people from discrimination because of their sexual orientation "should take precedence" over the right not to be discriminated against on religious grounds.

They said that if children were placed with carers who objected to homosexuality and same-sex relationships, "there may well be a conflict with the local authority's duty to 'safeguard and promote the welfare' of looked-after children".

They rejected suggestions that the case involved "a threat to religious liberty", adding: "No one is asserting that Christians - or, for that matter, Jews or Muslims - are not fit and proper persons to foster or adopt. No-one is contending for a blanket ban."

Speaking outside the court in London, Mrs Johns said: "All we wanted was to offer a loving home to a child in need. We have a good track record as foster parents.

"We have been excluded because we have moral opinions based on our faith and we feel sidelined because we are Christians with normal, mainstream, Christian views on sexual ethics.

"We are prepared to love and accept any child. All we were not willing to do was to tell a small child that the practice of homosexuality was a good thing."

The couple, who cared for about 15 children in the 1990s, have called for a public inquiry into the matter.

Derby City Council has welcomed the court's ruling.

A spokesman said the authority "valued diversity and promoted equality" and "encouraged and supported children in a non judgmental way, regardless of their sexual orientation or preference".

He added: "The court confirmed that the local authority is properly entitled to consider a prospective foster carer's views on sexuality when considering their application to become a foster parent and in fact, failure to do so would potentially leave it in breach of its own guidance as well as the National Minimum Standards."

Ben Summerskill, chief executive of Stonewall, the lesbian, gay and bisexual charity, said: "Thankfully, Mr and Mrs Johns' out-dated views aren't just out of step with the majority of people in modern Britain, but those of many Christians too.

"If you wish to be involved in the delivery of a public service, you should be prepared to provide it fairly to anyone."

But the Christian Legal Centre reacted to the ruling with dismay and warned that "fostering by Christians is now in doubt".

The organisation said the judgment "sends out the clear message that orthodox Christian ethical beliefs are potentially harmful to children and that Christian parents with mainstream Christian views are not suitable to be considered as potential foster parents".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-der...e-12598896

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2011, 08:31 PM
RE: Christian foster couple lose 'homosexuality views' case
Haha, good sense there in England, wonder if the same would hold true in America (Of course our courts seem to fail at this stage, so I doubt it). I'm glad they aren't foster parents, I would hate to have such people as my own foster parents (assuming I need one), and I am sure many others feel the same.
28-02-2011, 09:10 PM
I know some will get mad at my opinion, but I have to see what is best fit for the kid. I believe no child is born Christian, born atheist, born Jew and etc. I believe the state had the right idea. No kid should be taught that homosexuals should be treated like 2nd class citizens just because it's against religious dogma.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Indeed there should be no reason a child who is a ward of the government should be allowed to be taken into custody by biggots. That child has no claims to any biggoted views, and it's in the government's best interest that the child not be raised in such a way. The worst implication is that the child be gay themselves which would cause serious suppression issues, and then even if that's not the case it's likely the child would spread hate for a community due to time with them.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-03-2011, 03:56 AM
I think this is an example of rationality.
If this couple adopted a gay child the result would have been disastrous.

@theDoctor
Technically we are all born atheist.We are born with no programming or faith - "tabula rasa".We are only indoctrinated with beliefs later in life.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
02-03-2011, 01:34 AM
"No one is asserting that Christians - or, for that matter, Jews or Muslims - are not fit and proper persons to foster or adopt. No-one is contending for a blanket ban."

Actually to exclude people who would teach children homophobia IS a blanket ban on church going Christians, Muslims and Jews.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
02-03-2011, 05:05 AM
I don't think it would be disastrous if they were allowed more children, even considering their views. Would it be the best home? No, of course not. Would it be the worst home? They've had more than a dozen foster children before and not a complaint yet. So no, of course not.

I was raised in a homophobic home, with my oldest brother constantly making gay jokes, my father yelling at me for my feminine tendencies and reminding me about the "very real" hell that awaited gays, and my eventual training to become a more masculine version of myself brought upon by my brother and my father. Did this have any kind of positive impact on me? No, completely negative, sure, and I resent having gone through that. I but I still love my father and all my family for their reactions, because I know they were doing what they thought was right. Sure it would have been better for my sexuality and gender identity to have been treated before puberty, but I'm working on it now. Having a bad or even a terrible past doesn't mean you'll have a bad/terrible future.

I don't think they should be denied the foster care on just their views against homosexuality. Last I heard there weren't a lot of good foster homes out there, and better to be with someone who has bad views, which you can eventually grow to separate from as you mature and learn yourself, than a child abuser in my opinion.

But, sure, if we were living in an ideal world, I'd agree that they shouldn't be allowed the kid. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2011, 06:57 AM

I think there needs to be a views on tolerance and acceptance. If this couple does not accept gay lifestyle based on their beliefs, but can tolerate it out of being good people, well that is two slightly different things.

If foster people need to be 100% accepting of gays, then they should be 100% banned from teaching religions- Christian/Muslim/Jew. Arguably Muslim being the worst, as there are not many Christian suicide bombers.

I think they should let the couple have the kid, they are probably a good foster home and it's likely better then being in some institution.
Quote this message in a reply