Christian friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Christian friends
Ya know, I have lost a lot of christian friends because I'm an atheist. I actually understand that.

Because if you believe in god, and are literal about your beliefs, chances are we think so differently about other things in life that we have no common ground anywhere.

Sometimes, when I see a lot of Christians championing pro-life, anti-choice, or anti-gay, I find these people to be ugly inside. And I don't want to be friends with someone who lacks empathy and compassion. Ironic, because it sounds as though *i* am lacking empathy and compassion.

Anyway - does anyone else feel that they avoid friendships with people if that person is staunchly religious?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
18-06-2014, 08:02 AM
RE: Christian friends
(18-06-2014 07:57 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Ya know, I have lost a lot of christian friends because I'm an atheist. I actually understand that.

Because if you believe in god, and are literal about your beliefs, chances are we think so differently about other things in life that we have no common ground anywhere.

Sometimes, when I see a lot of Christians championing pro-life, anti-choice, or anti-gay, I find these people to be ugly inside. And I don't want to be friends with someone who lacks empathy and compassion. Ironic, because it sounds as though *i* am lacking empathy and compassion.

Anyway - does anyone else feel that they avoid friendships with people if that person is staunchly religious?

One of my co-workers and I are close friends. I am a militant atheist, he is a fundamentalist christian. The talks we have had lol.....sometimes it just works, mutual respect, while disagreeing on a specific subject is doable sometimes.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 7 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
18-06-2014, 08:09 AM
If I avoided all Christians, I would have exactly one friend. I do avoid people who talk about their faith all the time. I usually let it be known that I am atheist once I decided I like the person and let the chips fall where they may.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-06-2014, 08:47 AM
(18-06-2014 08:02 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 07:57 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Ya know, I have lost a lot of christian friends because I'm an atheist. I actually understand that.

One of my co-workers and I are close friends. I am a militant atheist, he is a fundamentalist christian. The talks we have had lol.....sometimes it just works, mutual respect, while disagreeing on a specific subject is doable sometimes.

I guess I just find too many differences in the way of thinking that even when the topic is completely void of religion, we still can't find common ground. Mainly because of the habit of hypocrisy.

For ex: I listened to my very Christian friend talk about how piercing a baby girls ears was tantamount to mutilation and cruelty. Yet had her son circumcised. Wha?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
18-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Yeah sometimes you meet somebody and become friends for whatever reason only to discover later it won't work When religion raises its ugly head & you just have no respect for them.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
18-06-2014, 09:23 AM
As soon as I hear any hint of religiosity, I mentally slide that person into the "Oh, you're one of **THOSE**" category.

Simultaneously, they are mentally removed from the "Possible BFF" list.

I will converse with these people, chat about whatnot, hold pleasant exchanges, but I'm really just not interested in them anymore in an up-close-and-personal kind of way.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
18-06-2014, 09:33 AM
I dont have many christians friends, but I do have some. I've lost more than I have.

I don't purposefully push them away...a combination of my loud mouth and their closed religtard mind tends to just lead it that way.

I figure if someone can't be friends with you because of their religion they are a waste of time anyway. So no pain there. No thanks.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
18-06-2014, 09:58 AM
I haven't really felt like I had to avoid any of my Christian friends, because no one has been there enough to be avoided! Hahaha!

...Weeping

Lol, jk...Tongue there are religious people that I used to be good friends with that I don't bother with because, when I was one of them, I heard how they talked about outsiders. Unfortunately, their friendship just wouldn't be genuine.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 3 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
18-06-2014, 10:01 AM
I had a Christian friend once...

I don't have one anymore.

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
18-06-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't think I've ever had a close christian friend. There are people I know who are christian and very religious and I get along with them and like them but for me to have a great, fun and close friendship with someone they need to be open minded and christians generally aren't.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.