18-06-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Christian friends
Christian friends ... oxymoronic

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2014, 11:30 AM
(18-06-2014 07:57 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Anyway - does anyone else feel that they avoid friendships with people if that person is staunchly religious?

I know many acquaintances, all I regard with different degrees of closeness. Some may or may not be theist, it's just not part of me so, maybe "belief" doesn't become a topic of discussion unless and/or until, someone else brings it up. If it does come up, it's usually fairly past the point of trusting someone enough to call them friend. By then, it's usually not an issue.

If it comes up before that, I guess it's a matter of figuring out how far trust can go, with someone I don't know well. Even then, I don't know that I would or have ever consciously avoided such friendship.

I have to think that I am one half of a relationship and the other person is the other half. If a relationship is deep enough to be called friendship, both are going to have to trust each other to hold up their end of the relationship. Depth of trust in a relationship is more about the degree of mutual reliability.

"Belief" not withstanding... I have quite a few friends I do keep it at arm's length... maybe we both realize how unreliable I can be. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-06-2014, 11:35 AM
I have little friends. And I if it is cool KC would be a christian friend.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
18-06-2014, 12:00 PM
I keep my social circle small because I don't care for many people anyway. The few friends I do have are either agnostic or atheist or agnostic atheists mainly. The Internet works better for me when I feel sociable, because I can vanish into my hermit hole whenever and without guilt.

I don't think I could tolerate Christian fanatic friends.....I barely tolerate them at work. Ewww.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
18-06-2014, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2014 08:39 PM by pablo.)
I have one very good friend I've known for 30+ years that is christian.
He's been vocal about it in the distant past, and we've even had some slightly heated discussions on the topic.
We've grown to respect each others beliefs and we don't bring it up anymore.
It's a non-issue now, we have a lot in common except when it comes to religion and I'm not going to bag one my of oldest and dearest friends because of it.
Some here may think I'm crazy for this, but I'm stubborn and I can turn the other cheek with the best of them, at least to a point. Cool
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
18-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Many people, if asked, would probably say they are Christian but keep it stored somewhere in the recesses of the mind, untll asked. They don't engage in conversation to do with religion. don't read the Bible and don't attend church. Their being "Christian" may just go way back to when they attended Sunday School and that was the extent of their involvement. I get along great with those people as they often mind their own business and don't try to dictate what others should do.
18-06-2014, 12:45 PM
I have several Christian friends, but they're the Christians that are respectful and nice, and not every conversation you have with them is about religion. They know when to insert religion, and when not to. They also don't get their panties in a knot over differing beliefs or particular disagreements.

At the beginning of high school, I had a guy friend ask me my beliefs on day at lunch. I told him I didn't believe in a god. He then proceeded to stand up (he was sitting beside me) and move to the opposite end of the lunch table. He never spoke to me again.

Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
18-06-2014, 03:42 PM
I have many Christian friends and married to a believer. I find the more vocal they are in spouting off " Jesus did this/that, God is great" the less I want to be around them.

Many of them I find common ground on many issues, and not so much on other issues. My Christian friends are the granola type, so we can agree on issues like the environment and many are left leaning except for the abortion issue for the most part. We tend to avoid the topics that divide us because we prefer the friendship over an ideology argument.

At the end of a long hike, they say gawd made the beautiful sunset, I know it's the light waves bending thru the atmosphere, but we both agree that it's beautiful.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
18-06-2014, 05:19 PM
In fundy circles, most non-fundy friends that they have are kept primarily for the purpose of friendship evangelism. There are certainly exceptions. In their minds, it has to be this way because of the spiritual threat the ungodly person can pose. The non-Christian influences must be guarded against and approached with caution.

Non-fundy Christians CAN be the same way, but there's a better likelihood of finding true friendships there.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
18-06-2014, 05:45 PM
There are plenty of xtians who simply inherited the title because they were born into it. They pay it about as much mind as I do.

On the occasions when I run into a real live bible-thumping shithead I make it a point to limit my exposure to them to the greatest extent possible. Such people have nothing to offer but their fucking fantasies.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!