Christian friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2014, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2014 07:45 PM by Anjele.)
RE: Christian friends
When I first met a new neighbor years ago I did a major eye roll. Our meeting occurred because she was walking around with her two young sons (later to be five sons, but that's a whole other story) and they were doing a fund raiser for their church. The boys were cute and she was cheerleader bubbly and went on to say that the only thing in the fund raising mission for her was another jewel in her crown when she reached heaven. Facepalm

Seriously - our first meeting. You can imagine my thought process.

Over time my son became like an older brother to her ever growing brood and she was the mom that was home that my son could turn to when I hadn't made it home from work yet.

She chilled a bit with her super, over-the-top religiousity and I appreciated the wonderful person she was/is. We discussed religion and lack of religion and respected each other without letting faith or non get in the way. She became my idea of the perfect Christian...real in her faith and real as a person. And not judgmental or set on my conversion.

Our boys are all grown now. My son still looks at her as a backup mom. We are miles and miles apart but when we connect, we connect very deeply. She helped my daughter through the murder of her best friend - I was too far away and still too sick to travel to her so Kimberly stepped in for me.

We joke now about our rocky start. We learned to love and appreciate one another on many levels.

I suppose it all boils down to the people involved. Not their faith or lack of.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
18-06-2014, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2014 02:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
I've never lost a friend over personal metaphysics. When they brought up religion I responded,
"Okay give me a plausible mechanism of action for a postmortem preservation of identity. Dualism is untenable. Many have tried, all have failed."
... Crickets
.... Crickets ... Crickets ...

"Need another beer?"
"Yeah, grab me two."

We're good. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-06-2014, 03:04 AM
Christian friends
My wife's a Christian, or at least identifies as one. So there's that. I have close friends who also identify as Christian, and a workplace full of salt-of-the-earth, good, upstanding people, many of whom are Christian. When I hear them praise or thank God, the way they do it brings a smile to my face. I think they're encompassing a lot of wonderful things under the umbrella term "God," but it's still nice to see people express such positive thinking, whatever they attribute it to.

I have one friend who is older, evangelical, and has spent enough time thoughtfully and honestly replying to inflammatory Facebook posts that it keeps me from making blanket statements of condemnation. He's incredibly knowledgeable about the bible, humble, and doesn't rely on typical bullshit apologetics to make points.

If anything, I've found that telling a devoutly religious person you're agnostic leads to more personal incredulity then condemnation.

"So, you don't believe in anything? You don't even know what you believe? How is that -- wait, you must believe in something, right? How can you not believe in anything?"

Rinse, repeat.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
19-06-2014, 06:04 AM
My wife is Christian and so is my immediate family.

At this point in my life, I don't have many friends that I do stuff with outside of my extended family. Most of them are not religious. Religion doesn't typically come up with any Christian I associate with in religiously-neutral settings, so I tend not to notice much difference.
19-06-2014, 10:04 AM
I married a Christian..
19-06-2014, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2014 05:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-06-2014 10:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I married a Christian..

This atheist married a good Catholic girl going on some 30 years ago now in a Catholic Church in front of a Catholic Priest. Everybody knew I was an atheist at the time. Kudos to the Catholic Church for that display of tolerance. All I had to do was promise to not interfere with the Catholic upbringing of any offspring. Never promised not to teach basic logic and reasoning and math to my kids and never promised to participate in the Catholic Church's indoctrination. Me and ManlyGirl got 4 now adult children and none of them could give less of a shit about religion. And neither do my grandkids. ... Religion is in death throe spasms.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-06-2014, 06:16 PM
(19-06-2014 02:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 10:04 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I married a Christian..

This atheist married a good Catholic girl going on some 30 years ago now in a Catholic Church in front of a Catholic Priest. Everybody knew I was an atheist at the time. Kudos to the Catholic Church for that display of tolerance. All I had to do was promise to not interfere with the Catholic upbringing of any offspring. Never promised not to teach basic logic and reasoning and math to my kids and never promised to participate in the Catholic Church's indoctrination. Me and ManlyGirl got 4 now adult children and none of them could give less of a shit about religion. And neither do my grandkids. ... Religion is in death throe spasms.
Married in the RC church eh? I was raised a Catholic. Went to a catholic school and was educated by nuns and later by Christian Brothers. I was even an altar boy for a spell.
Anyway my wife is United. Those guys are a sect of Christianity that I kinda respect. They allow not only female ministers but gay ministers as well. The minister that married my wife and I seemed to have no problem with me being an atheist.
I too was asked if I would allow religion in the lives of our would be children. I told him something along the lines that we must all find our own paths. Nothing more was said. None of that matters though as my wife and I are unable to have children.
As a side note I think that having no kids is the reason I tend to not take life or anything in it seriously.
19-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Double post....
19-06-2014, 06:19 PM
(19-06-2014 06:16 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 02:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This atheist married a good Catholic girl going on some 30 years ago now in a Catholic Church in front of a Catholic Priest. Everybody knew I was an atheist at the time. Kudos to the Catholic Church for that display of tolerance. All I had to do was promise to not interfere with the Catholic upbringing of any offspring. Never promised not to teach basic logic and reasoning and math to my kids and never promised to participate in the Catholic Church's indoctrination. Me and ManlyGirl got 4 now adult children and none of them could give less of a shit about religion. And neither do my grandkids. ... Religion is in death throe spasms.
Married in the RC church eh? I was raised a Catholic. Went to a catholic school and was educated by nuns and later by Christian Brothers. I was even an altar boy for a spell.
Anyway my wife is United. Those guys are a sect of Christianity that I kinda respect. They allow not only female ministers but gay ministers as well. The minister that married my wife and I seemed to have no problem with me being an atheist.
I too was asked if I would allow religion in the lives of our would be children. I told him something along the lines that we must all find our own paths. Nothing more was said. None of that matters though as my wife and I are unable to have children.
As a side note I think that having no kids is the reason I tend to not take life or anything in it seriously.