Christian medicine fails yet again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Christian medicine fails yet again.
Russell and Brandi Bellew are faith healers from a Christian sect that believes that faith healing and prayer cure disease, and modern medicine should be shunned in favor of faith and prayer. They had a 16 year old son who suffered a burst appendix, and instead of taking him to a hospital, they prayed to God while he died a painful and excruciating death over the course of an entire week. Now you'd think these people might reconsider their faith in God, or at least his power to heal you through prayers instead of modern medicine, but the dead boy's uncle insists that the family still trusts in God for everything, including his ability to heal them from disease.

But that's not the astonishing part. Naturally, when a parent neglects to seek medical attention for a child and it results in the child's death, the parents are charged with child abuse, manslaughter, etc., and will go to prison for a long time. The amazing thing here is that the brain dead judge felt that their religion was justification enough that the parents should not go to prison. Not only that, a social worker believes the couple's 6 other children will be safe with the parents and should be reunited with them.

Wow, talk about a "get out of jail free" card. Kill your child through neglect, tell a judge Jesus commanded you to do it, and avoid any prison time and have the state trust you with the remainder of your children. Unbelievable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-dies.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Ozzie's post
19-09-2012, 12:49 AM
RE: Christian medicine fails yet again.
"How can the world allow us to retreat this far into the dark ages of religious ignorance?"
- Polos , Melbourne, 19/9/2012 04:06

Word.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Vosur's post
19-09-2012, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2012 01:14 AM by Bucky Ball.)
But they got probation, so they had to agree to plead to something. Oregon is pretty enlightened. I bet Child Protection is involved, and they will be monitored, and if not, I wouldn't be surprised if this is not over.

Edit: They plead guilty to criminally negligent homicide. They are fellons, and the kids are removed. They can kill themselves. At least they can't kill any more of the kids.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-09-2012, 01:07 AM
(19-09-2012 12:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  But they got probation, so they had to agree to plead to something. Oregon is pretty enlightened. I bet Child Protection is involved, and they will be monitored, and if not, I wouldn't be surprised if this is not over.

What they got was a joke. Compare this story with the one of the lady whose 12 year old son seriously beat his 2 year old brother. The lady came home and found the 2 year old in a coma, but instead of rushing him to the hospital, she waited 4 hours to call paramedics. She is facing 30 years in prison for aggravated manslaughter because she didn't seek proper medical care for the 2 year old boy. Too bad she forgot to say "Jesus told me to leave him there and he would magically heal my son." If she had told that to cops, she too could have gotten probation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...other.html
[+] 1 user Likes Ozzie's post
19-09-2012, 01:24 AM
I could have sworn that in the USA it was against the law to refuse medical attention to minors. Even in Oregon. I thought that was federal law. Different story for anyone over 18.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
19-09-2012, 01:29 AM
(19-09-2012 12:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Edit: They plead guilty to criminally negligent homicide. They are fellons, and the kids are removed. They can kill themselves. At least they can't kill any more of the kids.

I'm glad to hear the kids were taken away, though the Daily Mail UK made it seem like they might be handed back to the parents. I hope not, because we don't need more dead children due to their parents' insane religious beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like Ozzie's post
19-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Yep, once you're an adult if you want to pretend that a guy in the sky will save you from your impending doom, go for it. But please, for the love of flying spaghetti, let the medical professionals save your kids. If there's a loving god, I'm sure he'd understand. If you really think that it's god's job to save your kids from dying, instead of a doctor, then the god you're worshiping is a fucked up bastard.

Especially something as simple as appendicitis, it's curable. EASILY curable. It's a minor surgery anymore.

Their ethics are bad, and they should feel bad.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
19-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Every time something like this happens, I'm moving one step closer to anti-theism...

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
19-09-2012, 07:08 AM
(19-09-2012 06:22 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Every time something like this happens, I'm moving one step closer to anti-theism...

Join us... Evil_monster

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
19-09-2012, 07:43 AM
(19-09-2012 07:08 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 06:22 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Every time something like this happens, I'm moving one step closer to anti-theism...

Join us... Evil_monster

We haz cookiez. Evil_monster

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post