Christian negativity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 05:17 AM
Christian negativity
What's the Christian obsession with adding negativity to the world and saying that non believers lives are pointless and they deserve to die 24/7?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 05:44 AM
RE: Christian negativity
Atheism and all the other non theistic "isms" are such a threat to religion, that they* (*the religious leaders) have been marshalling pastors/preachers etc to drum it into the sheep that its anti GOD.
As theistic as one of my mates is, he fills me in on his pastors preachings (some vain hope I would see the light maybe).

Each sermon has a section on, Those without faith have no purpose in life, are without moral guidelines, Hitler was an Atheist, Darwinism and evolution are corrupting the children.
The first world decline in Theism over the last 20 years is spectacular, and they* are not so stupid to ignore it, with the irony that they are driving away the rational members of their flock who think critically.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
11-02-2014, 05:57 AM
(11-02-2014 05:44 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Atheism and all the other non theistic "isms" are such a threat to religion, that they* (*the religious leaders) have been marshalling pastors/preachers etc to drum it into the sheep that its anti GOD.
As theistic as one of my mates is, he fills me in on his pastors preachings (some vain hope I would see the light maybe).

Each sermon has a section on, Those without faith have no purpose in life, are without moral guidelines, Hitler was an Atheist, Darwinism and evolution are corrupting the children.
The first world decline in Theism over the last 20 years is spectacular, and they* are not so stupid to ignore it, with the irony that they are driving away the rational members of their flock who think critically.

So the dude who told me that my life is pointless and I will die today for no reason. He also called me retarded. It's not his fault?
11-02-2014, 06:45 AM
(11-02-2014 05:57 AM)donotwant Wrote:  So the dude who told me that my life is pointless and I will die today for no reason. He also called me retarded. It's not his fault?

Of course its his fault for being willfully ignorant. People like that use their religion as a justification to treat others like shit, thinking 'they' have the moral high ground.

How old was this good christian ? to use the word "retard" to your face ?

Funny how that kinda crap doesnt fly well in my world, there would have been teeth and blood on the ground for that comment, but I think people just know better than to try this in person.

Not saying you need to get violent, but it does matter how you carry yourself.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
11-02-2014, 06:52 AM
He called me godless sob who has a pointless life and will die today just because^^
He was about 30-40 years old.
But this meaningless life negativity is common. I see many religious people asking me why I'm still alive and why don't I just shoot myself. My objection is that religious people say these things all the time and it can affect some vulnerable people.
11-02-2014, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 06:58 AM by DLJ.)
Negativity? Simple.

It's jealousy.

They were born in sin and have to obey a strict set of dictatorially imposed morals.

They see us with our sin-free, self-selected morality, sinning freely.

It's not fair!

For some reason, the promise that we will burn for eternity for what we do, does not quell the sense of injustice.

You'd think they would pity us.

Btw, your job is to antagonise and ridicule them.
Their job is to forgive you.

Thumbsup

11-02-2014, 07:04 AM
(11-02-2014 05:17 AM)donotwant Wrote:  What's the Christian obsession with adding negativity to the world and saying that non believers lives are pointless and they deserve to die 24/7?

This is a strange thing among many christians, particularly given how their savior talked about how they should treat their "enemies" and people in general.

I think there a number of reasons, depending on the person. Some are just so wound up from saying no to themselves and having the rules in their face all the time that they become bitter (I'm thinking of the old school "church lady" types). Some of the others in the newer breeds tend to also be conservative and pump their heads full of talk radio and Fox News all day, every day - and just get angrier and angrier. They are convinced there is a "war" on them and their beliefs, so they strike out at everything different from them that is taking their christian nation away. These are the ones that, in particular, don't seem to emulate their lord in the slightest, like the guy you talked to. Sounds like a real douche.
[+] 1 user Likes meremortal's post
11-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Be careful painting everyone with one broad stroke. Just because one moron said some ugly things, doesn't mean they all would say them or even think them. I know plenty of xtians who think nothing like what you describe above.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
11-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Luckily, they aren't all like that. There are certainly those who vilify anything that's not Christian. I imagine they do this both because it gives them an enemy and scapegoat, and also because it's more comforting to picture people deserving to go to hell as opposed to simply being sent there by their omnibenevolent creator god.

I get the feeling many (most?) Christians fall more into a camp of having pity on non-Christians. It can certainly manifest in really condescending ways (which is super annoying), but their feelings aren't necessarily tainted with malevolence; it's more of misguided concern.

Then, there's the universal salvation camp. More people seem to be gravitating toward this, but I think it's still a relatively small subset of Christianity. My wife is one of these. She believes we all go to heaven. So, when I die, I'll be up there with a bit of egg on my face for having been wrong, then it will all be cool. As far as Christians go, I like these guys the best. No hatred. No misplaced concern. Frequently, less proselytizing. So long as Christianity sticks around, I hope more and more people become like this and fundies become a lunatic fringe.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
11-02-2014, 07:44 AM
The angry type are probably getting their judgemental attitudes from Fox news. We have something similar in the UK with the Daily Mail. If they run stories that make people angry then people will buy the paper to find out more. The stories also reinforce their prejudices so it makes the reader feel better about themselves. The net result is a growing resentment to people of different backgrounds. Like Fox news, the Daily Mail is also a joke in terms of actual news-worthiness. It is easy to vilify atheists and make money from resentment towards them because their Christian viewers / readers will want to believe that they are the ones in the right.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post