Christian negativity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 07:54 AM
RE: Christian negativity
(11-02-2014 07:44 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The angry type are probably getting their judgemental attitudes from Fox news. We have something similar in the UK with the Daily Mail. If they run stories that make people angry then people will buy the paper to find out more. The stories also reinforce their prejudices so it makes the reader feel better about themselves. The net result is a growing resentment to people of different backgrounds. Like Fox news, the Daily Mail is also a joke in terms of actual news-worthiness. It is easy to vilify atheists and make money from resentment towards them because their Christian viewers / readers will want to believe that they are the ones in the right.

He never watched Fox news Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 08:12 AM
(11-02-2014 06:52 AM)donotwant Wrote:  He called me godless sob who has a pointless life and will die today just because^^
He was about 30-40 years old.
But this meaningless life negativity is common. I see many religious people asking me why I'm still alive and why don't I just shoot myself. My objection is that religious people say these things all the time and it can affect some vulnerable people.

A bold thing to say to someone without a moral compass Evil_monster

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
11-02-2014, 08:42 AM
(11-02-2014 07:20 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Be careful painting everyone with one broad stroke. Just because one moron said some ugly things, doesn't mean they all would say them or even think them. I know plenty of xtians who think nothing like what you describe above.

I do not think it is always necessary to imply that a comment about the attributes of a group of people is inappropriate and mean or unfair to all. It is not a personal attack on anyone, and everyone here does it to some degree. I get the same negativity from Xtians all of the time, and I paint all of them with a broad stroke because although it may not be voiced, it is what their teachings support. We good - you bad.

The OP was a valid concern about the negativity from Christians, which is absolutely apparent. I feel it is a result of being taught that the world is bad, you are bad, all of manking is bad, and I am special that I know this key to salvation (whatever that is). I mean, HELL, living in sin, and all of the abominations tossed around seem pretty damn negative to me - just sayin! Not everyone is nasty I agree, but negative, sure.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
11-02-2014, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 09:48 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
(11-02-2014 06:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Negativity? Simple.

It's jealousy.

They were born in sin and have to obey a strict set of dictatorially imposed morals.

They see us with our sin-free, self-selected morality, sinning freely.

It's not fair!

For some reason, the promise that we will burn for eternity for what we do, does not quell the sense of injustice.

You'd think they would pity us.

Btw, your job is to antagonise and ridicule them.
Their job is to forgive you.

Thumbsup

Also they convert others to get higher on the ladder to heaven.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
11-02-2014, 09:38 AM
(11-02-2014 05:17 AM)donotwant Wrote:  What's the Christian obsession with adding negativity to the world and saying that non believers lives are pointless and they deserve to die 24/7?
Projection.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
11-02-2014, 10:24 AM
The prime negativity is the meaningless lives accusations. As Hitler said if you repeat something 1000 times people will believe it. So I think those accusations could have negative effect on the people if those christians will keep it up.
12-02-2014, 03:45 AM
The people, all Christian, in the office I work in have a very dim view of me and my once shared atheist view. The most confusing thing is that a Lesbian also works in the office, yet, I am more reviling to my coworkers than she is. My co-workers do not deny her Lesbian lifestyle, yet they deny the validity of my entire life (comes out in their questions about atheism). Interesting!

I believe their willingness to embrace the Lesbian is to create a division, so to speak, between the minimally (legally) acceptable and the completely unacceptable.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
12-02-2014, 04:20 AM
(11-02-2014 05:17 AM)donotwant Wrote:  What's the Christian obsession with adding negativity to the world and saying that non believers lives are pointless and they deserve to die 24/7?
It's not only a Christian obsession; it's probably based on simple hate.
12-02-2014, 04:43 AM
(12-02-2014 03:45 AM)Dee Wrote:  The people, all Christian, in the office I work in have a very dim view of me and my once shared atheist view. The most confusing thing is that a Lesbian also works in the office, yet, I am more reviling to my coworkers than she is. My co-workers do not deny her Lesbian lifestyle, yet they deny the validity of my entire life (comes out in their questions about atheism). Interesting!

I believe their willingness to embrace the Lesbian is to create a division, so to speak, between the minimally (legally) acceptable and the completely unacceptable.

On the plus side the lesbian has an easier time with it. It must make a nice change for her. Seriously though, I have found that by being the one who is the most different and proud of it, it means that other people can be more free in revealing who they are and what they believe in. People open up far more as a result. By being out as an atheist other people in the office may be able to openly express their own doubts about certain things.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post