Christian pre-occupation with eating babies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Christian pre-occupation with eating babies?
I have a very Christian acquaintance who likes to post things on facebook. It causes great debate when I can find something in his articles or thoughts that are either completely wrong or just plain silly. Today took the cake. He posted this wonderful link to some anti-abortion article about the company Senomyx in which it states that Pepsi will stop using fetuses as a flavor additive. Now, when I read this I was honestly disgusted, could they REALLY be using a fetus as a flavor enhancer?!

So, being a good little skeptic on all things extreme, I did a quick google search and found that no, it was a lie. What it is actually used for is to TEST flavors for a sugar/salty taste before it's actually made into a product and then taste tested by people. The original fetus genetic goop was taken back in the 70's when the technology was new, and they've been manufacturing it in a lab ever since. All they're doing is taking the proteins and adding the flavors to see how the protein reacts, not putting it in the actual end product for people to consume and despite saying as much, he still believes that site (even after posting the two links I'll add later for everyone to read) he still contended that he posted it because the use is wrong and gross. I don't deny that it is gross to think about, but to still think that it's made with OMGBABIES is just folly and ignorant, yet apparently he still does.

I don't think I'll ever understand the mind of people who just spout instead of doing research. Ah, and for those who managed to read this far and want more articles here and here.

Thoughts/opinions anyone?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2012, 03:28 PM
RE: Christian pre-occupation with eating babies?
Firstly,

Welcome to the forum.

Secondly,

I have also had this same facebook debate. Normally I keep out of anything religious on the FB because it's a ball of ignorance that when entered only gets bigger. But the FB rumor posts tend to piss me off more than any because they are posted by people on the internet who apparently haven't heard that the internet is not a newspaper. You can indeed fact check shit immediately after reading it.
The best part of it, is when you blow their "facts" away with your mildly researched genuine facts, they either defend their gibberish article into staggeringly dumb levels of ignorance, or they just go real quiet. I have never been witness to someone actually admitting their lack of research or apologizing for spreading lies.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Yes! Dinner time again!

Drooling

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
30-04-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm dying here reading the comments.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Fortunately I never have to deal with FB rubbish like that. Its always the ignorant and close-minded Christians that spout this crap, and they are making a bad name for the good, honest Chriatians out there.
30-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Heh, kim, you post made me laugh. Big Grin

lucradis,
Why thank you. :3 It's nice to be here.
I have a habit of getting into those conversations with one particular person because he's a smart, funny, nice guy and I know his heart is in the right place (usually.) But the entire conversation I could understand when he explained his disgust, that it was the thought of the dead being consumed like that. I ended up telling him that while I agree that I personally wouldn't want to ingest a human, that it wasn't what was happening and because I respect him as a person that I don't want him to think something so disgusting was the truth.

We ended up on the abortion tangent his post was intended to being. He's strict anti-abortion while I'm pro-choice and would opt to either raise the child or make sure it was adopted by a good, loving family. I just wish they didn't take it to such nonsensical extremes like that.

Then again I'd also learned that corpses given to science are treated with a great deal of respect and that the students learning off of the bodies are also supposed to attend the funeral. So, I told him that I didn't know what the 70's were like in that respect, but that the fetus was probably given more respect than the mother may have given it. That and the fact that the protein derived from it was used to help with vaccines and the like.

...then again his friend said we're all a bunch of godless freaks sitting around trying to figure out how to destroy mankind...oh and their god. /button successfully pushed

Magoo, the only reason I have facebook is because my friends and family are all over the country. Oh and my uncle's contacts added me and post their band's music up so I can listen. (He worked for Sabian, so I get to sneak peak a bunch of awesome tracks from a wide variety of music from all over the world. I just can't say no to that.)