Christian responses to Leviticus et. al?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Christian responses to Leviticus et. al?
Hi guys! Not a first time poster here but it's been awhile.

I recently slapped down [temporarily] an anti-gay Christian by pointing out all the ridiculous laws and oppression of women contained in Leviticus and various other parts of the Bible; asking why he clings to god's anti gay policy but not the anti-shaving, anti-pork, and anti-women policies, to name a few. He said he'd get back on to me on my "misunderstanding." In the meantime, I'm trying to educate myself on what Christians usually say in response to such things. I know they say it's the OT and Jesus abolished that, but I've argued against that before so I'm ready for that. This, however, is a smart guy who's good with words so I'm curious what he might throw at me. Have any of you been in a similar situation? An actual smart Christian arguing about why certain biblical rules should be followed and others shouldn't?

Thanks a lot!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2012, 05:16 AM
RE: Christian responses to Leviticus et. al?
Same reason that Muslim's use to explain why they are not ALL going around killing us infidels.
Except they have a problem in that the Quran is supposed to be the unchangeable word of god and cannot evolve its morality.
If a book can evolve its morality why the hell aren't they doing it like an International Standards Organisation?
Why are some sects permitted to reject the bits they don't like anymore whereas other sects keep those bits and reject others?
It explains why christianity is so divided.
Ask if the pro-gay christians are not true scotsmen.

Divide and conquer, my friend.

01-08-2012, 05:23 AM
You might find something worth reading amongst my efforts:-

Christianity vs Homosexuality

Or you might not. Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2012, 05:46 AM
(01-08-2012 04:54 AM)ryanfox Wrote:  Hi guys! Not a first time poster here but it's been awhile.

I recently slapped down [temporarily] an anti-gay Christian by pointing out all the ridiculous laws and oppression of women contained in Leviticus and various other parts of the Bible; asking why he clings to god's anti gay policy but not the anti-shaving, anti-pork, and anti-women policies, to name a few. He said he'd get back on to me on my "misunderstanding." In the meantime, I'm trying to educate myself on what Christians usually say in response to such things. I know they say it's the OT and Jesus abolished that, but I've argued against that before so I'm ready for that. This, however, is a smart guy who's good with words so I'm curious what he might throw at me. Have any of you been in a similar situation? An actual smart Christian arguing about why certain biblical rules should be followed and others shouldn't?

Thanks a lot!

Hahahahahahahaha, smart Christian. If I haven't met KC, I'd say this is an oxymoron, but I guess he is just an exception that proves the rule.

Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
01-08-2012, 07:17 AM
(01-08-2012 05:46 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 04:54 AM)ryanfox Wrote:  Hi guys! Not a first time poster here but it's been awhile.

Thanks a lot!

Hahahahahahahaha, smart Christian. If I haven't met KC, I'd say this is an oxymoron, but I guess he is just an exception that proves the rule.

Tongue

Wow. Filox... thanks Smile

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Thanks a lot!

Anyway, this is what I would say about why OT rules are outdated (I can't comment on the anti-gay thing because I'm pro-gay):

OT laws and regulations where created for the Jews' purity, separation, and for the preservation of the Messianic line. Once the Messiah was born, the laws didn't become moot per se, but they served as a foundation for Christ's teachings.

01-08-2012, 08:04 AM
(01-08-2012 07:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Thanks a lot!

Anyway, this is what I would say about why OT rules are outdated (I can't comment on the anti-gay thing because I'm pro-gay):

OT laws and regulations where created for the Jews' purity, separation, and for the preservation of the Messianic line. Once the Messiah was born, the laws didn't become moot per se, but they served as a foundation for Christ's teachings.

What do you make of this?

"Now that faith (in Christ) has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law" (Galatians 3:25)

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. (Matthew 5:38-48)

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
01-08-2012, 08:06 AM
(01-08-2012 08:04 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 07:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Anyway, this is what I would say about why OT rules are outdated (I can't comment on the anti-gay thing because I'm pro-gay):

What do you make of this?

"Now that faith (in Christ) has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law" (Galatians 3:25)

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. (Matthew 5:38-48)

Are you asking me or Ryan?

01-08-2012, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2012 08:29 AM by fstratzero.)
(01-08-2012 08:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 08:04 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  What do you make of this?

Are you asking me or Ryan?

I'm asking anybody who can justify the idea the old testament was the basis for Jesus's teachings. So far, I can only find that the new testament claims throw out the old.

I can't find any evidence supporting your claim KC.

EDIT: spell check failed me.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
01-08-2012, 08:25 AM
(01-08-2012 08:15 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-08-2012 08:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Are you asking me or Ryan?

I'm asking anybody who can justify the idea the old testament was the basis. So far I can only find that the new testament claims throw out the old.

I can't find any evidence supporting your clam KC.

I'm saying that the law structured Jesus' teachings - a blueprint of sorts.

Also, my clam:

[Image: clam.gif]

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post