Christian review calling for my book to be banned.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2013, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 02:13 PM by wldstrwlf.)
Christian review calling for my book to be banned.
I wrote a book last year about what it is like to live with Alaskan Malamutes and it was never intended to be anything more than that. It has done fairly well with those in the Malamute community. It received it's first ever one-star rating:

"The book is vague at best and is just about bashing church, God, and making the case for human euthanasia. Don't buy, as you will learn very little about Malamutes, but you will hear how animals are on the same level as humans, and how bad humans are compared to animals. I love animals, but hey are not human. My Malamute is treated well and spoiled and I do lover her, but not like my wife, children, or grand kids. Ironically the author states in one chapter how you cannot keep Malamutes together, especially two females or they will tear each other up, and in the next breath he is telling how humans could learn to get along and love from the Malamute. Horrible book with grammatical errors and like I said, hidden agendas. Oh yes, and he also is against marriage as he makes his point of telling how he lived together with all of his women, including his now significant other. What a disappointment. Christians should ban this book."

I appreciate the individual's review and wanted to respond via Amazon, but was advised against doing so. He is correct in that there is one grammatical error in the Kindle version (none that anyone can point out in the physical copy). Christians historically have called for several notable works to be banned ("Tom Sawyer" and "The Grapes of Wrath" come to mind). I guess I should feel honored. Censorship of ideas bothers me nonetheless.

The link to my book is here... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071DWUTS

Please do not download as this is not a book on atheism and would really only be of interest to those that have had Alaskan Malamutes. I just wanted to post a link to his review.

Thanks for letting me vent.

,,,^..^,,,~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2013, 02:18 PM
RE: Christian review calling for my book to be banned.
(22-01-2013 02:10 PM)wldstrwlf Wrote:  I wrote a book last year about what it is like to live with Alaskan Malamutes and it was never intended to be anything more than that. It has done fairly well with those in the Malamute community. It received it's first ever one-star rating:

"The book is vague at best and is just about bashing church, God, and making the case for human euthanasia. Don't buy, as you will learn very little about Malamutes, but you will hear how animals are on the same level as humans, and how bad humans are compared to animals. I love animals, but hey are not human. My Malamute is treated well and spoiled and I do lover her, but not like my wife, children, or grand kids. Ironically the author states in one chapter how you cannot keep Malamutes together, especially two females or they will tear each other up, and in the next breath he is telling how humans could learn to get along and love from the Malamute. Horrible book with grammatical errors and like I said, hidden agendas. Oh yes, and he also is against marriage as he makes his point of telling how he lived together with all of his women, including his now significant other. What a disappointment. Christians should ban this book."

I appreciate the individual's review and wanted to respond via Amazon, but was advised against doing so. He is correct in that there is one grammatical error in the Kindle version (none that anyone can point out in the physical copy). Christians historically have called for several notable works to be banned ("Tom Sawyer" and "The Grapes of Wrath" come to mind). I guess I should feel honored. Censorship of ideas bothers me nonetheless.

The link to my book is here... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071DWUTS

Please do not download as this is not a book on atheism and would really only be of interest to those that have had Alaskan Malamutes. I just wanted to post a link to his review.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I have a friend who races in sleds, her name is Rachel Scdoris, I'll pass this book on to her. Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
22-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Wow, that is pathetic! They must truly be terrified of the fact that their oppressive, dusty, brain-dead, hateful dogma is in its death throes and the shackles are finally coming off, if a book about dogs gets them all riled up. I say good job Thumbsup

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
22-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Christians don't exactly have a good history with books.

Maybe this one doesn't know you read them, not use them as bonfire kindling?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
22-01-2013, 05:04 PM
To me it sounded like the reviewer was calling for Christians to boycott the book more than a ban. Either way, if you're pissing off fundamentalist Christians then you are probably doing a good job.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
22-01-2013, 05:30 PM
I love these dogs, I'll show it to my girlfriend, I'm sure she'll want to buy it one day and read it.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
22-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Thank you all for the positive encouragement. The one thing I really like about this community is that I am reminded I am not alone in either the way I think or struggles I face. The review this morning just came as such a surprise. The only thing I wrote about religion is the following (and it was in response to some insensitive comments made by Christians after I put Noah down):

"Most modern religions teach only humans possess immortal souls and little regard is given to any other animal. Christianity for example, would have us believe no everlasting relationship with a pet can exist. Humans are supposedly created in the image of a jealous, petty, vindictive god, and if this is the case, I am less than impressed with this alleged Almighty. Take a quick look at the headlines of any day’s newspaper. With few exceptions, humans are neither good nor noble creatures. (Maybe they are created in the image of their god after all?)

"The pastor is so focused on his perception of “right” that he has become blind to what is true. But then, religion has never been about what is true. It is a controlling and restrictive belief system that embraces superstition and shuns evidence. Akin to an infection, reason is the only cure to this abomination of fear, ignorance, and hate."

It was never meant to incite anyone. Damn, I didn't think I was going to sell more than ten copies when I published this and then only those to family and friends. I was told by several Christians though that I was getting too upset and Noah was only a dog. (These comments were unsolicited - JWs that showed up later that day and my wife's father who's an evangelical pastor.) Well, after over 13 years together, that was the last morning I ever felt his heart beat and I was upset some people were trying to minimize how I felt. Furthermore, it just seems the height of arrogance to put humanity on a pedestal as if we're somehow better than all other creatures.

,,,^..^,,,~
[+] 1 user Likes wldstrwlf's post
22-01-2013, 06:23 PM
I'd be happy. If it makes them unhappy, it's a great reason to buy it and check it out.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Absolutely absurd.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
23-01-2013, 02:07 PM
(22-01-2013 05:30 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  I love these dogs, I'll show it to my girlfriend, I'm sure she'll want to buy it one day and read it.
Wow! I remember you mentioning you were gay, but I had always assumed you were a dude. Then when I saw this I thought to myself...maybe it was a gay joke that went over my head. Looked at your profile...RT is a female! Mind=Blown.

Sorry for de-railing...it's kind of my thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I wrote my first book about atheism! billyinlights 11 171 Yesterday 07:38 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  What should I read / book club maybe? Smercury44 6 107 12-06-2014 09:26 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  A book about contemporary humanism/atheism? Hejhejhej 2 70 13-05-2014 01:43 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  State Book - Louisiana raven48 1 62 15-04-2014 01:53 PM
Last Post: wazzel
  All encompassing book about science proplayer44 5 124 17-03-2014 11:23 AM
Last Post: Chas
  "Christian Nation" f stop 2 165 22-02-2014 11:58 PM
Last Post: f stop
  TTA Book club (god is not Great) TheBeardedDude 37 1,324 12-02-2014 10:10 PM
Last Post: sporehux