Christian school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Christian school
My son goes to a christian pre-k and I am really annoyed by it. I thought it would be a good idea for a few reasons, but now I'm just ready for him to be done with the year. I'll be putting him in a public school for kindergarten and I cannot wait. Every day he comes home with a new bible verse or something "Jesus." I know it's a christian school so it shouldn't suprise me. I just thought that with my christian upbringing that a christian school would be a better, more disciplined option for him. Now I'm honestly just tired of hearing about the bible and all the religious stuff they teach him. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. I think maybe it's because I'm not totally on board with religion and I don't want to shoved on him as it was with me. Maybe I'm an idiot for putting him in a christian school in the first place. Undecided

As I said in my previous post, i'm searching to find myself "religiously." I have always felt like I didn't fit in with the christian crowd for whatever reason. It's like putting on clothing that's a little too small. It doesn't feel right. In all honesty it just bored me most of the time. I was forced to go to church every single week literally from the time I was a week or so old until I turned 18. I was forced to go to every service, every after church get together, etc. It all just felt silly and pointless to me. My cousin asked me why I believe God exist. I couldn't give her an answer. I really don't know why. Does that mean my heart feels he doesn't exist? Does that make me an atheist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 04:41 PM
RE: Christian school
(05-03-2013 04:21 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. I think maybe it's because I'm not totally on board with religion and I don't want to shoved on him as it was with me. Maybe I'm an idiot for putting him in a christian school in the first place. Undecided

Seems like a good guess. I wouldn't want my kids indoctrinated into a way of life that I don't believe in or support. I wouldn't call you an idiot though. More like someone with one foot in each world, still trying to cling to the familiarity and comfort of Christianity while also trying to shake the mythology and brainwashing to move forward with a more realistic world view. I bet it's tough straddling that line, and I bet putting your kid into a Christian school is one symptom of that.

(05-03-2013 04:21 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  Does that mean my heart feels he doesn't exist? Does that make me an atheist?

More or less, yes.

Bear in mind that many non-atheists think the word "atheist" means that you absolutely disbelieve in god, that you are certain there is no god, and that you probably hate god. That's all wrong. So if your personal definition of "atheist" is anything like that, it's time to set the record straight.

"Atheist" simply means "not-theist".

So what does "theist" mean? Simply put, a "theist" is a person who believes in some god(s) or some religion. By "believes in" I mean that he or she accepts that this religion is true and follows (more or less) the teachings and the rules of whichever religion they follow.

So are you that? Do you follow a specific religion? Do you stick to its teachings and rules and accept that your religion is true?

If your answer is 'yes', then you are a "theist".

If your answer is not 'yes', regardless of whether it is 'no', 'maybe', 'I'm not sure', or whatever, then you are not a theist, hence, you re an "atheist".

This is the simplest, most literal definition of "atheist" and most atheists agree with it, more or less. Some don't. That's the funny thing about atheism - we don't have specific beliefs, specific organization, or specific anything, really, since "atheism" is not any kind of group, organization, club, belief system, or even really a "thing" at all - it's merely the lack of being a theist, which means, every one of us is different and the only thing we atheists really have in common is that we're not theists.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
05-03-2013, 05:09 PM
(05-03-2013 04:41 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 04:21 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. I think maybe it's because I'm not totally on board with religion and I don't want to shoved on him as it was with me. Maybe I'm an idiot for putting him in a christian school in the first place. Undecided

Seems like a good guess. I wouldn't want my kids indoctrinated into a way of life that I don't believe in or support. I wouldn't call you an idiot though. More like someone with one foot in each world, still trying to cling to the familiarity and comfort of Christianity while also trying to shake the mythology and brainwashing to move forward with a more realistic world view. I bet it's tough straddling that line, and I bet putting your kid into a Christian school is one symptom of that.

(05-03-2013 04:21 PM)seeker13 Wrote:  Does that mean my heart feels he doesn't exist? Does that make me an atheist?

More or less, yes.

Bear in mind that many non-atheists think the word "atheist" means that you absolutely disbelieve in god, that you are certain there is no god, and that you probably hate god. That's all wrong. So if your personal definition of "atheist" is anything like that, it's time to set the record straight.

"Atheist" simply means "not-theist".

So what does "theist" mean? Simply put, a "theist" is a person who believes in some god(s) or some religion. By "believes in" I mean that he or she accepts that this religion is true and follows (more or less) the teachings and the rules of whichever religion they follow.

So are you that? Do you follow a specific religion? Do you stick to its teachings and rules and accept that your religion is true?

If your answer is 'yes', then you are a "theist".

If your answer is not 'yes', regardless of whether it is 'no', 'maybe', 'I'm not sure', or whatever, then you are not a theist, hence, you re an "atheist".

This is the simplest, most literal definition of "atheist" and most atheists agree with it, more or less. Some don't. That's the funny thing about atheism - we don't have specific beliefs, specific organization, or specific anything, really, since "atheism" is not any kind of group, organization, club, belief system, or even really a "thing" at all - it's merely the lack of being a theist, which means, every one of us is different and the only thing we atheists really have in common is that we're not theists.

Thank you for the info! That really helps to clear it up some. You're right about me straddling both worlds. That's exactly how i've felt for a while. I want to hang on to that familiar christianity that i've known forever, but another part of me has never felt completely comfortable or "full" with it. It's a little scary for me and also a little confusing. I don't like organized religion. I never have. I was raised in a baptist church and that's what's familiar, but it has always seemed kind of brainwashy.
08-03-2013, 04:09 PM
I can understand what you're going through right now. I had a baby sitter who was being brainwashed with the stuff your parents taught you. My old babysitter really didn't have much of a social life, he had a girlfriend they broke up, he never got much exposure to different cultures or beliefs, and my mom believes his parents were brain washing him Christian values. My mother worked with his father and he thought he knew the answer to everything.
It sounds like your parents have tried to do the same.
For one you are not an idiot and you shouldn't feel like one for not believing. I was raised Christian. I'm actaully suprised I became an Atheist. I was an Atheist first semester of my Sophomore year and then second semester I went Christian. Then I was a Christian from Junior year up until in the middle of first semester senior year I was Agnostic then I went back to being Christian. Then second semester of Senior year I decided I'm better off being an Atheist.
You know what you believe in and what you don't. Never deny any thoughts you have on this like I did. I walked out of youth group this year at least 3 or 4 times feeling really stupid. I found out it was because I was in denial of my belief of reason over faith. Many issues you could pray about I thought were common issues like one girl asked for prayer requests in her French class, another girl asked for her her second semester of Senior year to go well, and I sat there and thought these were common issues that non religous kids face and eventually solve on their own.
You come to a point in life where you have to learn to think for yourself. I encourage you to stand up for what you believe in. As an Atheist there will always be religous people out to get you but stay true to what you believe in. You need to seperate your child from that Christian Pre-K he's attending and listen more to that inner voice that's saying that this isn't right for you.
Your parents sound like they are authoratarian so if you were to tell them to the truth they would probably still try to convince to take their side. My parents are Democratic and have gotten used to my beliefs now. I will say eventually you will have to tell the truth, so when you choose to I hope it work out for the best.
It's normal what you're going through and people need to realize that just because you come from a Christian backgrounds doesn't mean you will be a Christian. It doesn't matter how many years you've been a Christian. Anyone can become an Atheist at any given time. There was one guy who was watching in a video who was doing mission trips, was the son of a minister, and then found he was an Atheist. He started an organization called the free thought exchange to help build tolerance with churches.

" If you're brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello" Paulo Coelho
"If you pray for rain it eventually does fall. If you pray for floodwaters to abate, they eventually do. The same happens in the absence of prayers" Steve Allen
[+] 1 user Likes lizzielee's post