Christian to Pagan to Atheist - Hello Everyone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Christian to Pagan to Atheist - Hello Everyone
Hello,

My name is Brandon and I was raised Christian (Southern Baptist and Church of Christ) from the time I was born in 1977 and stayed that way until I converted to Paganism back in 2006. I was the one who brought Paganism to the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. If you know anything about the US Air Force Academy, then you'll know that being a Pagan there, as well as teaching cadets about Paganism wasn't always easy. I did make headlines once when a cross was left at the Pagan worship site as a sign of intimidation.

It would be while serving in Afghanistan in 2011 with a lot of time on my hands to think without the distractions of the "real world" that I would finally cut the cord to all things supernatural and religious.

Now I'm retired from the US Air Force and currently reside in Colorado Springs, Colorado (the evangelical capital of the world), where I'm doing my best to learn as much as possible about the world of Atheism and where I fit in that world.

I can't wait to join in the conversation!

Brandon -

“There is perhaps nothing worse than reaching the top of the ladder
and discovering that you’re on the wrong wall.” ― Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like rblongcrier's post
11-01-2017, 10:38 PM
RE: Christian to Pagan to Atheist - Hello Everyone
(11-01-2017 10:13 PM)rblongcrier Wrote:  ...

With a CV like that ... I can't either!

Welcome to TTA.

Smile

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
11-01-2017, 10:53 PM
The "world of atheism" has no friggin' gods. Other than that, it is pretty much like the rest of the world...except better.

Welcome.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
11-01-2017, 10:55 PM
(11-01-2017 10:13 PM)rblongcrier Wrote:  Hello,

My name is Brandon and I was raised Christian (Southern Baptist and Church of Christ) from the time I was born in 1977 and stayed that way until I converted to Paganism back in 2006. I was the one who brought Paganism to the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. If you know anything about the US Air Force Academy, then you'll know that being a Pagan there, as well as teaching cadets about Paganism wasn't always easy. I did make headlines once when a cross was left at the Pagan worship site as a sign of intimidation.

It would be while serving in Afghanistan in 2011 with a lot of time on my hands to think without the distractions of the "real world" that I would finally cut the cord to all things supernatural and religious.

Now I'm retired from the US Air Force and currently reside in Colorado Springs, Colorado (the evangelical capital of the world), where I'm doing my best to learn as much as possible about the world of Atheism and where I fit in that world.

Brandon -

If you'll take a look at my avatar photo, you'll likely recognize the "ringer" teeshirt I'm wearing. (Tiger Ten squadron, Class of '98.)

I too was raised Southern Baptist, but realized I could no longer be a Christian at the age of 17. Less than a year later, I was taking the Oaths-- and deliberately omitting the "so help me God" part was one of my first major steps toward admitting to myself that I was an atheist.

Welcome to TTA! Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Welcome, Brandon! (Love that name for a guy, one of my faves Smile )
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
12-01-2017, 01:34 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2017, 01:56 AM
Hello! Big Grin
12-01-2017, 04:00 AM
Hi Brandon.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-01-2017, 06:22 AM
Welcome, Brandon. We're glad you're here.
12-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Welcome mate, enjoy your stay here, glad to have you on board