Christian violence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2011, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 12:28 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Christian violence
I was watching an episode of Jackass on my break at work last night. One of the skits they did had Chris Pontius (a.k.a. Party Boy) dressed up in a bright red devil costume and carrying a protest sign which said: "Keep God out of California". He pretty much walks around telling people that the stories about him in the Bible were lies and that it was him who created the circumcision. Most of the passersby either ignore him, laugh at him, or throw out an occasional "bless you". Everything was fine until some random angry guy walks up to Pontius, breaks his sign, pushes him into a parked car, and then punches him in the face. It was completely uncalled for. I think there is only two possible reasons: 1) The guy was a complete nut. 2) He was a Christian.

Here is the clip:

I've had my own run-ins with Christians in the past. As I'm sure all of you well know, Atheists are not well received in the south. It was while attending high school in Tennessee (oh so many years ago) that people learned that several of my friends and I were atheists. The people who "reacted" to this news came from two totally different ends of the spectrum. The first group was the well-meaning sorts that were truly afraid for my soul and wouldn't stop pestering me about it. Every day, they would try to witness to me and ask me to pray with them. One of my atheist friends acted like he was receptive to the faith because the particular female Christian witnessing to him was pretty cute. Overall, these people were very annoying, but harmless. The second group is what could be called the "good ol' boys". These are the people that show their disapproval by lashing out physically. These guys would purposely bump into me in the hallways, trip me, or crowd me into a corner and threaten me with harm if I didn’t accept Christ as my lord and savior. The bumping, tripping, and crowding quickly abated when I showed that I was fully capable of defending myself. When a big football player grabbed me by the shirt during one of these crowding incidents, I twisted his arm behind his back and made him drop to the ground by kicking the back of his knee. This didn’t abate the hatred that these people had for me or my friends, though.

Do others have examples of Christian violence towards unbelievers or followers of other faiths?

Here is an example of the good ol' boys that I was talking about (0:23-1:35):

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2011, 02:03 PM
RE: Christian violence
I agree , that was uncalled for. It's just harmless fun , but that's what happens when people take a bronze age book literally.

As for your separation into two groups although I agree , I am afraid of a false dichotomy. I mean , aren't we just playing the black & white game with christians on this one ? I guess you could also add a group that was fearful of non believers and tried to sway them for their own emotional comfort -> i have relatives like that.
Also , I know quite a few thugs who have been "saved".They don't swear but they are equally violent as before - I hardly would call these people Christian , or at the very least , shallow christians who uses it to justify violence.

Just throwing that out there.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply