03-02-2017, 08:12 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
Drinking Beverage

Popcorn
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2017, 08:13 PM
(03-02-2017 07:24 PM)mordant Wrote:  Philosophy isn't needed to tell you that science works. You and I are conversing with nothing but inconvenienced electrons, after all.

How do you know this? Give even a basic explanation.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
03-02-2017, 08:14 PM
(03-02-2017 08:09 PM)Christian Philosophy Wrote:  His essence is His existence.

To classical theists this may sound rational. To me this is claptrap, it means nothing but it sure does sound important doesn’t it?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-02-2017, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 08:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-02-2017 08:09 PM)Christian Philosophy Wrote:  Well to begin it is meaningful to speak like this in fields like negative theology. Typically within Classical Theism we would say God is being itself, His essence is His existence.

Perhaps.
Someone who claims to be a "Christian believer" says they participate in the belief that their god "exists". They use creeds. (Although why they claim to believe in the Babylonian war god ... Yahweh Sabaoth ... escapes me). Nonetheless, as long a god exists, nonexistence was also a part of Reality. Your god IS REQUIRED to participate in (only) a subset of Reality, (which is could not have created, only "found itself" a part of, by definition). Reality could not have been created by your god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-02-2017, 08:18 PM
(03-02-2017 08:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:09 PM)Christian Philosophy Wrote:  His essence is His existence.

To classical theists this may sound rational. To me this is claptrap, it means nothing but it sure does sound important doesn’t it?

It doesn't matter. It is drivel, but it's basically meaningless.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-02-2017, 08:18 PM
You might as well say...

Sharing is the growth of serenity, and of us. We exist as morphic resonance.

If you have never experienced this lightning bolt of unfathomable proportions, it can be difficult to believe.

The complexity of the present time seems to demand an awakening of our chakras if we are going to survive. Only a seeker of the totality may rediscover this quantum shift of coherence. Delusion is born in the gap where growth has been excluded.

We are being called to explore the grid itself as an interface between freedom and health. The future will be a high-frequency redefining of synchronicity. Soon there will be a condensing of transcendence the likes of which the quantum soup has never seen.

By maturing, we self-actualize. Hope is the driver of transcendence. To follow the quest is to become one with it.

We must learn how to lead sacred lives in the face of turbulence.
Manna requires exploration. We vibrate, we heal, we are reborn. Consciousness consists of ultra-sentient particles of quantum energy. “Quantum” means a redefining of the unified.

Imagine an unfolding of what could be. It is a sign of things to come. Eons from now, we spiritual brothers and sisters will self-actualize like never before as we are guided by the totality.

http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-02-2017, 08:21 PM
(03-02-2017 08:13 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 07:24 PM)mordant Wrote:  Philosophy isn't needed to tell you that science works. You and I are conversing with nothing but inconvenienced electrons, after all.

How do you know this? Give even a basic explanation.

How does Mordant know that the internet and their computer works?

Really?

Plus a re-post of a reply.

Okay so "How do I (Peebo) know the physical world exists?"

Because I have no cause to think other wise.

Seriously, suggest a method/experiment/event/*Insert your own idea here* way of testing "How is reality what it is." or, with a successful test, how reality is not what it is.
03-02-2017, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 08:35 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-02-2017 08:09 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I'm going to be majoring in math. And the Baconian method is simply not capable of ruling out random chance. You need an alternative justification.

Goody for you.
The Baconian method is not the only one used, and together with the others, a "useful" level of Probability is acheived.

Quote:What ways have been proven reliable? How can you prove anything?

Do your own homework, child.

Quote:What on earth are you talking about? I never said I didn't value science. I've been focused on science my entire life. You did not understanding what I said. I'm saying you have to justify science. The materialists and pragmatists that infest the scientific community just assume science works and they move on. You can't do this if you want a coherent worldview. And I haven't prayed once in my entire life.

You write very poorly.
No one has to "justify science". It's useful, and YOU demonstrate you agree with this by using it. Here. Or you would not be wasting your time here.

Maybe a rank adolescent/childish beginner thinks science "needs to be justified". Adults know it has contributed to longer and better quality human lives.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-02-2017, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 08:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-02-2017 08:21 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:13 PM)Naielis Wrote:  How do you know this? Give even a basic explanation.

Okay so "How do I (Peebo) know the physical world exists?"

Because I have no cause to think other wise.

And how would it make a difference anyway? If it's all just simulations of simulations of simulations running perpetually inside a tardigras I can't see how that would change my behavior in any way.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-02-2017, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 08:44 PM by Christian Philosophy.)
(03-02-2017 08:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:09 PM)Christian Philosophy Wrote:  Well to begin it is meaningful to speak like this in fields like negative theology. Typically within Classical Theism we would say God is being itself, His essence is His existence.

Perhaps.
Someone who claims to be a "Christian believer" says they participate in the belief that their god "exists". They use creeds. (Although why they claim to believe in the Babylonian war god ... Yahweh Sabaoth ... escapes me). Nonetheless, as long a god exists, nonexistence was also a part of Reality. You god IS REQUIRED to participate in a subset of Reality, (which is could not have created, only "found itself" a part of). Reality could not have been created by your god.

Well lets look at this statement. You start off making a claim about theistic language which I will grant. I think my statement about "being" being analogous is important here. I would not grant to you non existence exists in reality, as it is literally nothing, this is not a coherent statement, I would say this is the same fallacy Parmenides stated. What I would say is logical potentialities exist (potential being), but as concepts in God's mind. So more beings could be actualized and not have remained soley in God's natural knowledge, but these are not equivalent statements. What I would say is ultimate reality is equivalent with God and its sufficient reason in the clearest sense is due to His creative will. To quote Leftow, God is the sole ultimate reality. But you make it seem as if God is sitting in an empty void. No, all these logical possibilities are grounded in His will, Nothing exists apart from God's will , so it is self contained within God and grounded only in Him. But to speak of God just finding himself in empty reality is a poor way to word this. God as the sole necessary being and the creator of all things other than himself grounds these truths by willing them to be the case. He knows all truth statements by knowing Himself as the timeless creator. Typically theists have said God wills all of reality outside of Himself. I would agree with this statement. God does not find himself surrounded by forms that are disconnected from His will. On classical Theism, God simply is His Knowledge, which is His will. He is not composed of any metaphysical parts, which would include an essence separate from His act of existence . So contingent reality is willed to be the case, but God has aseity before and after contingent reality. He receives no perfections from creatures. So I feel this neutralizes any sort of statement you have made thus far, and hence I feel Christian Theism is un harmed and flying stronger than ever.

Thanks for the reply and may God bless you,

Christian Philosophy

2 Corinthians 10:5
"Every creature is a divine word because it proclaims God" - Bonaventure
"Do no harm. Do good. Stay in love with God." - John Wesley
"The highest service to which a man may obtain on earth is to preach the law of God." - John Wycliffe