Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 08:42 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(03-02-2017 08:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:09 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I'm going to be majoring in math. And the Baconian method is simply not capable of ruling out random chance. You need an alternative justification.

Goody for you.
The Baconian method is not the only one used, and together with the others, a "useful" level of Probability is acheived.

Quote:What ways have been proven reliable? How can you prove anything?

Do your own homework, child.

Quote:What on earth are you talking about? I never said I didn't value science. I've been focused on science my entire life. You did not understanding what I said. I'm saying you have to justify science. The materialists and pragmatists that infest the scientific community just assume science works and they move on. You can't do this if you want a coherent worldview. And I haven't prayed once in my entire life.

You write very poorly.
No one has to "justify science". It's useful, and YOU demonstrate you agree with this by using it. Here. Or you would not be wasting your time here.

Maybe a rank adolescent/childish beginner thinks science "needs to be justified". Adults know it has contributed to longer and better quality human lives.

I don't think I can continue unless we have a different format. I need to be able to discuss freely with you since I'm obviously a very poor writer. I'm available on Skype right now. I'm in a call with other theists. If you decide you want to have a fruitful discussion on a call, let me know.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
03-02-2017, 08:45 PM
(03-02-2017 08:42 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I don't think I can continue unless we have a different format. I need to be able to discuss freely with you since I'm obviously a very poor writer. I'm available on Skype right now. I'm in a call with other theists. If you decide you want to have a fruitful discussion on a call, let me know.

Why am I reading this and thinking yeah you're one of them Bannon plants taking names of atheists aren't you?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-02-2017, 08:49 PM
(03-02-2017 08:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:42 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I don't think I can continue unless we have a different format. I need to be able to discuss freely with you since I'm obviously a very poor writer. I'm available on Skype right now. I'm in a call with other theists. If you decide you want to have a fruitful discussion on a call, let me know.

Why am I reading this and thinking yeah you're one of them Bannon plants taking names of atheists aren't you?

This is like the red scare. And no I'm not a plant for a populist imbecile. Why would I want names of atheists?

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
03-02-2017, 08:49 PM
(03-02-2017 08:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

LOL

2 Corinthians 10:5
"Every creature is a divine word because it proclaims God" - Bonaventure
"Do no harm. Do good. Stay in love with God." - John Wesley
"The highest service to which a man may obtain on earth is to preach the law of God." - John Wycliffe
03-02-2017, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 08:54 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-02-2017 01:58 PM)Naielis Wrote:  How do you know any result from a scientific experiment isn't just random chance? How do you know anything? If you can't answer these, science is irrelevant. You're just asserting that science is the way without justifying it. I posed the problem of induction earlier. The only response I got was that we just assume laws. Great. I'll assume god then.

You DON'T know any ONE is not chance.

"Randomness is the lack of pattern or predictability in events.[1] A random sequence of events, symbols or steps has no order and does not follow an intelligible pattern or combination. Individual random events are by definition unpredictable, but in many cases the frequency of different outcomes over a large number of events (or "trials") is predictable." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randomness

Science does not use ONE result. You really don't know how it works, do you ?
Any ONE result could be random. The Probability that MANY are random, approaches zero.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-02-2017, 08:52 PM
(03-02-2017 08:42 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Goody for you.
The Baconian method is not the only one used, and together with the others, a "useful" level of Probability is acheived.

Do your own homework, child.

You write very poorly.
No one has to "justify science". It's useful, and YOU demonstrate you agree with this by using it. Here. Or you would not be wasting your time here.

Maybe a rank adolescent/childish beginner thinks science "needs to be justified". Adults know it has contributed to longer and better quality human lives.

I don't think I can continue unless we have a different format. I need to be able to discuss freely with you since I'm obviously a very poor writer. I'm available on Skype right now. I'm in a call with other theists. If you decide you want to have a fruitful discussion on a call, let me know.

I don't waste my time with theists.
I know a lot more about their religions than they do.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-02-2017, 08:54 PM
(03-02-2017 08:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Well that makes it easy to end our discussion.

Have a nice day,

Christian Philosophy

2 Corinthians 10:5
"Every creature is a divine word because it proclaims God" - Bonaventure
"Do no harm. Do good. Stay in love with God." - John Wesley
"The highest service to which a man may obtain on earth is to preach the law of God." - John Wycliffe
[+] 1 user Likes Christian Philosophy's post
03-02-2017, 08:55 PM
(03-02-2017 08:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I'd bet you $10,000 you don't know more about Christianity than any of the theists in this call. And you've been wasting your time for a while now. If you wanted an actual discussion, you could join.

03-02-2017, 08:55 PM
(03-02-2017 08:42 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I need to be able to discuss freely with you since I'm obviously a very poor writer. I'm available on Skype right now....... If you decide you want to have a fruitful discussion on a call, let me know.

Yeah, I'm okay with organizing something like this.

Unfortunately shift work and time zones means it's something that we'll have to srto through reasonably well in advance.

Looking forwards to conversing with yourself.

Thumbsup
03-02-2017, 08:59 PM
(03-02-2017 08:55 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:42 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I need to be able to discuss freely with you since I'm obviously a very poor writer. I'm available on Skype right now....... If you decide you want to have a fruitful discussion on a call, let me know.

Yeah, I'm okay with organizing something like this.

Unfortunately shift work and time zones means it's something that we'll have to srto through reasonably well in advance.

Looking forwards to conversing with yourself.

Thumbsup

I'm on EST. We talk in chat quite a bit too though so time zones aren't too relevant. We have daily calls and anyone is free to start any discussion.