Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 09:18 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(03-02-2017 09:09 PM)Naielis Wrote:  No you don't. And certainly not about Christianity.

Facepalm

Kid, do you think that we were born atheists?

Did it occur to you that some of us are much older than you and spent much of our lives as believers?

Did it occur to you that some of the posters here are highly educated about a variety of topics, including religions?

Did it occur to you that the theists you are talking to might not know as much as you think they do?

Probably not.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-02-2017, 09:20 PM
(03-02-2017 09:18 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 09:09 PM)Naielis Wrote:  No you don't. And certainly not about Christianity.

Facepalm

Kid, do you think that we were born atheists?

Did it occur to you that some of us are much older than you and spent much of our lives as believers?

Did it occur to you that some of the posters here are highly educated about a variety of topics, including religions?

Did it occur to you that the theists you are talking to might not know as much as you think they do?

Probably not.

I never said you weren't born into cultural Christianity. This doesn't grant knowledge of theology or exegesis.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
03-02-2017, 09:22 PM
(03-02-2017 09:09 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 09:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You don't have $10,000, and if you happen to, I don't need it.
I know more than ALL the theists on that call.

No you don't. And certainly not about Christianity.

I do, and FAR FAR FAR more than you ever will.
You have never EVEN ONCE written anything about it.
I have an entire body of work here that proves you a liar.

Post here one paper you've written on "salvation", the "resurrection", the origins of the Christian cult, or any subject. Rookie.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-02-2017, 09:24 PM
(03-02-2017 09:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I do, and FAR FAR FAR more than you ever will.

I'm in the process of writing a book right now actually... sorry to burst your bubble though.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
03-02-2017, 09:25 PM
(03-02-2017 08:55 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I don't waste my time with theists.
I know a lot more about their religions than they do.

I'd bet you $10,000 you don't know more about Christianity than any of the theists in this call. And you've been wasting your time for a while now. If you wanted an actual discussion, you could join.

Now it sounds like you're inviting me to a gang rape where I'm the main attraction.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
03-02-2017, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 10:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-02-2017 09:24 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 09:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I do, and FAR FAR FAR more than you ever will.

I'm in the process of writing a book right now actually... sorry to burst your bubble though.

So you'll post it now then ?
Any moron can write a book. I sure hope it's better than the crap you write here.
Didn't you just admit to being a poor writer ?
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-02-2017, 09:26 PM
(03-02-2017 09:17 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 09:03 PM)DLJ Wrote:  If I were a gambler, I'd take that bet.

I know it's an incoherent justification of cognitive dissonance stemming from fear.

What you got?

Big Grin

I'm not a Christian. The bet doesn't apply.

You offer me a non sequitur?

That's the best you can do?

Blink

03-02-2017, 09:28 PM
(03-02-2017 08:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:54 PM)Christian Philosophy Wrote:  Well that makes it easy to end our discussion.

Have a nice day,

Christian Philosophy

That let you cop out.
That's what I thought. No answer.
There is nothing coherent about Christianity. The claims that it flows from Hebrew thought and culture, are totally false.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ic-Origins

You link me to one substantive analytical paper you've written that demonstrates you know what you're talking about, and I might consider a discussion. In my time on TTA, there has been ONE, once.

Besides the whole paragraph I wrote on your question, I guess I did not answer your questions. Hmm, I sure dodged your superior intellect even though it was you who did not reply to my post. but eh, maybe I am just too dumb to get that.

Secondly, I reject the historicity of your claims. While this is not the debate and I will not bring this further, the Jewish reclamation of Jesus is completely underway, and scholars almost always classify this with First Century Judaism. Not a single teaching scholar in the western world rejects this. For example, Matthew is literally working with apocalyptic imagery to convey the point of Christ's power over death. This only works within a near eastern context. To use another example Paul's epistles are thought by some to teach specific ideas on God's grace that flow out of second temple Judaism. Ultimately, I disagree with the new perspective proponents, but people like Tom Wright do argue quite forcibly, and it cannot be disregarded on completely historic grounds. I only disagree with it in relation to theological statements, namely Paul wrote legalistically. Overall, I disagree with your statements. Perhaps the best argument in favor of your position is that these are in the form of greco roman biographies, but this does not explain the content I have just mentioned. If you wish to continue this any further, feel free to private message on Skype. I do not wish to go anymore off topic.

Thanks in advance,

Christian Philosophy

2 Corinthians 10:5
"Every creature is a divine word because it proclaims God" - Bonaventure
"Do no harm. Do good. Stay in love with God." - John Wesley
"The highest service to which a man may obtain on earth is to preach the law of God." - John Wycliffe
(03-02-2017 09:24 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 09:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I do, and FAR FAR FAR more than you ever will.

Fullerene went to Seminary. And not one of them cheap mail order ones either. Just sayin'.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
(03-02-2017 09:14 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 08:42 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I don't think I can continue unless we have a different format. I need to be able to discuss freely with you since I'm obviously a very poor writer. I'm available on Skype right now. I'm in a call with other theists. If you decide you want to have a fruitful discussion on a call, let me know.

Just so we're clear:

You're seventeen years old. It's 10pm on Friday night.

And you're Skype-ing with theists and posting on an atheist forum.

Dude, dafuq is the matter with you?

Blink

Lol