Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 10:46 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(03-02-2017 10:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What's the difference between an agnostic theist and an agnostic atheist ?

A hiccup on the Dawkins scale. Big Grin

I actually used to be an agnostic polytheist, up until about 8-9 years ago, and had an abrupt switch to agnostic atheist when I realized that I was just trying to believe and there was nothing underneath it. (The question i asked myself: Would I testify in a court of law that Oðinn, or Athena, or any other god I liked, was real? The answer was a startlingly adamant "No," because I knew I had no actual evidence and would not lie to the court.)

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
03-02-2017, 10:51 PM
(03-02-2017 08:09 PM)Naielis Wrote:  The materialists and pragmatists that infest the scientific community just assume science works and they move on.

Science is a method. The Scientific Method.
The method works the same for religionists, theists, agnostics, pragmatists and woo-mongers. The positions of those who "infest it" are irrelevant.

There is not a shred of evidence it does not work, or is not useful.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-02-2017, 11:08 PM
(03-02-2017 08:09 PM)Naielis Wrote:  The materialists and pragmatists that infest the scientific community just assume science works and they move on.

Perhaps they make that assumption because it does work. Virtually everyone on the planet has benefited from at least one scientific discovery. The average person in the first world has a lifestyle dependent on thousands of discoveries -- the metallurgical techniques that produce the electrical wiring of their home, the biochemistry that provides them with relatively safe food in the fridge and cupboards.

If someone were to go back in time and prevent science from developing, if that act were to trickle down to the present moment and cause all science-based entities to disappear, it would be devastating. In the Northern Hemisphere alone, hundreds of millions of people would be dead from hypothermia within 24 hours after finding themselves naked, homeless, and exposed to the elements.

I think you should show some appreciation to that "infestation" of scientists. You literally owe them your life.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
03-02-2017, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 11:18 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-02-2017 04:55 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I debated Sye Ten. He's not very intelligent. I'm not right because I say so. I'm right because what I say corresponds to reality. I know it does because I have a working epistemology. I can justify my metaphysics and, from that, the existence of the necessary being.

Isn't that special.
He gets to assert things he knows, without explaining how or why, and asks others how they know things.
Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

A "necessary being" is not a god. It is required by (and thus subject to) Reality.

The fundamental nature of Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive, (Uncertainty, Relativity, the tensors of Dirac).
What appears to be "logical" is no guide to Reality.
There are logics which are perfectly correct, but do not obtain in reality.
Logic is necessary but not sufficient.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-02-2017, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 11:19 PM by GirlyMan.)

You say that like it's a bad thing.

(02-02-2017 04:55 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I'm not right because I say so. I'm right because what I say corresponds to reality. I know it does because I have a working epistemology.

I see. Well alrighty then.

#sigh
03-02-2017, 11:18 PM
loopy dupey double post

#sigh
03-02-2017, 11:43 PM
(03-02-2017 10:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 01:49 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I'm an agnostic theist. What do you mean I'm unwilling to admit it? That issue never came up.

What's the difference between an agnostic theist and an agnostic atheist ?

I disagree with the term "agnostic atheist". But as it's commonly used, the difference is that I do not think I have knowledge that God exists. I'm not a hardcore agnostic though. I do think I could have knowledge of God. Agnostic atheist generally means you are unsure of whether god exists but you do not believe.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
03-02-2017, 11:52 PM
(03-02-2017 11:08 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Perhaps they make that assumption because it does work. Virtually everyone on the planet has benefited from at least one scientific discovery. The average person in the first world has a lifestyle dependent on thousands of discoveries -- the metallurgical techniques that produce the electrical wiring of their home, the biochemistry that provides them with relatively safe food in the fridge and cupboards.

I agree that it works. I don't agree that we should assume it works.

(03-02-2017 11:08 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I think you should show some appreciation to that "infestation" of scientists. You literally owe them your life.

That's irrelevant. Why would you think that would matter in a conversation about who is right? There are people who owe their lives to serial killers. Does this make the serial killers justified in their actions? Appreciation isn't the issue. Truth is.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
03-02-2017, 11:54 PM
(03-02-2017 11:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 04:55 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I debated Sye Ten. He's not very intelligent. I'm not right because I say so. I'm right because what I say corresponds to reality. I know it does because I have a working epistemology. I can justify my metaphysics and, from that, the existence of the necessary being.

Isn't that special.
He gets to assert things he knows, without explaining how or why, and asks others how they know things.
Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

A "necessary being" is not a god. It is required by (and thus subject to) Reality.

The fundamental nature of Reality has been proven to be non-intuitive, (Uncertainty, Relativity, the tensors of Dirac).
What appears to be "logical" is no guide to Reality.
There are logics which are perfectly correct, but do not obtain in reality.
Logic is necessary but not sufficient.

If the question is how someone knows they are right, then the answer is always going to be epistemology. But I was asked why I was right. This is an ontological question about my beliefs. They are right because they correspond to reality. I don't see how I could have answered that differently, unless you're proposing I'm under a faulty understanding of truth.

04-02-2017, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 01:29 AM by Peebothuhul.)
At work.

From interactions with Naielis I do belive people's word usages are 'Different'.

Sometimes Naielis is typing a word they are mentally assigning a 'function' to said word which readers are possibly assigning a more vernacular 'function' to said word.

Just a thought. Thumbsup