Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2017, 08:55 AM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
Philosophy aims to describe all of reality huh? By what, navel-gazing?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-02-2017, 09:13 AM
(02-02-2017 08:22 PM)Naielis Wrote:  You claim to be interested in the real world. Without philosophy, you fail to even know what that world is. You see science succeed? Your eyes exist? You know this how?

I know this because I see. So do you. I know that people with eye diseases come to the hospital (and so do you) and can't see without eyes. You know what the world is without philosophy. You LEARNED and validated it in countless ways before you ever heard the word "philosophy". Philosophy may help you explain to yourself what you think you know. It actually teaches you nothing about reality. Critical thinking does not appear to be your strong suit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-02-2017, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 10:17 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-02-2017 05:16 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Cosmological arguments are evidence. I'm not making anything up. You didn't show that my arguments were flawed. Did you think I was supporting the original Kalam?

Cosmological arguments are evidence of nothing.
Every one has unspoken (and invalid) assumptions.
They also are not in line with the major theological / religious systems.
Christianity asserts faith is a gift of the Spirit. If one can prove something, no faith is necessary.
Christianity claims one is "saved by faith", (not by arguments).

I thought this thread might actually be about morality.
The morality in the Bible was appropriated (we know from History and Archaeology) from ancient Near Eastern cultural norms. There is nothing unique or different about Hebrew morality. There is also nothing unique or different about Christian moralities. They also were appropriated from various human cultural sources. No gods required. Religion sanctioned already existing norms. Religion gave nothing new to human morality.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-02-2017, 10:59 AM
(04-02-2017 08:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  An argument is not evidence - it is just an argument.

And Craig is a buffoon in debate. He just spouts his dreary arguments and does not engage his opponent.

His arguments ARE "sophistry".
He's also a dishonest idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAS-SLEaF...cFiagiDi0f

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqKObSeim2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbClnWrUF2Q

In his debate with Ehrman, he was blatantly dishonest about the denominator in Bayesian probability.

WLC, is dishonest, which is very obvious, and an idiot (self authenticating, bla, bla).
That this idiot has a PhD is a disgrace to everybody who has such a degree as well, namely in the "hard" sciences.

But there is good news: When i had to decide, after my MSc, if i wanted to make a Phd, which was offered to me by my university, i declined. I wanted to finally work and apply my knowledge, wanted to make some $ finally, wanted to gather experience
and
I learned at univesity, that some of the most clever professors didnt have a PhD, and some of the most stupid idiots had some. A degree is like a ticket into a club, nothing more. Even the most stupid idiot can buy one. Its just a matter of $, or in this case effort. Since then i rate people by their actual skills. Degrees dont impress me very much. In hindsight, people like WLC demonstrate to me every time that it wasnt in fact necessary for me to make a PhD in order to be a good scientist/engineer. What you need is skills and experience, and both are easy to evaluate for others. That fucking stupid name addition is mainly for wankers and people who really need it because of their job description (professors at university).

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
04-02-2017, 11:18 AM
(02-02-2017 04:48 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 04:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not unless it is based on evidence. Without evidence, it is just rhetoric.

Sure I agree.

(02-02-2017 04:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Questions of the origin and nature of the universe are precisely questions of science, and the answers will require evidence.

Well science can tell you something about it, but science ends at the big bang. You can't go further than the natural world with science. Philosophy aims to describe all of reality.

You can try and “think” your way out of a bag but unless you take a scissor to it your not going to resolve anything.

BTW using philosophy to describe “all of reality” is mental masturbation. I can conjure up stuff in my head that have no grounding in “reality” and just because I can imagine them does not imply these things exist outside by noggin’.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
04-02-2017, 11:37 AM
(04-02-2017 08:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  Philosophy aims to describe all of reality huh? By what, navel-gazing?

By making up parts of reality to describe, mostly.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
04-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys I was beginning to doubt my sanity, its good to hear others consider philosophy a load of old wank, cos it is.
04-02-2017, 12:27 PM
(04-02-2017 11:51 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Thanks guys I was beginning to doubt my sanity, its good to hear others consider philosophy a load of old wank, cos it is.

Nah, philosophy per se is a good thing - well philosophy of science anyway. Just random tossers calling their pet theories "philosophy" I object to.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-02-2017, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 12:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-02-2017 11:51 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Thanks guys I was beginning to doubt my sanity, its good to hear others consider philosophy a load of old wank, cos it is.

I was gonna major in it but then I took a class in realism my junior year and realized, you know what computer science might be a more prudent choice. Minored in it instead. It has its uses. One is to keep an eye on the batshit bonkers scientists for they know not what they do. They don't have a very good track record at anticipating the consequences of their actions especially since they became Death, the destroyer of worlds and shit.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Science its unbelievably amazing yet still we have tossers who either doubt its validity or its amazing abilities wtf how can educated people be so dumb ?