Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2017, 10:28 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(04-02-2017 05:50 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 11:52 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I agree that {science} works. I don't agree that we should assume it works.

Make. Up. Your. Mind. Either something works or it does not.

Did you read what I said? There's a difference between thinking something works and assuming something works. I can justify science. You cannot.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2017, 10:29 PM
(04-02-2017 03:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I've lost interest in this debate with a 17 year old. However, I have NOT forgotten the slander about me delivered by Tomasia. I still want evidence of this PM.

So far there has been none.

If not I'm going to sue that motherfucker.

Actually, I think the debate lost interest in you.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
04-02-2017, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 10:42 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(04-02-2017 10:16 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 03:38 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  We do not assume it is valid. We test it against the proposition that it is not valid. That is why science is more important than philosophy, and why they referred to your ideas as "navel-gazing". You can sit around and ponder "what ifs" and "how do you knows" all day, but in the end what matter is what is testable and verifiable to the maximum extent possible, given the basic set of assumptions that our senses are valid-- because so what if they're not, when we still receive a consistent response to the tests?

You're going to do a lot of work, learning all this philosophy, and in the end all you'll come to is realizing that you've learned to ask a lot of essentially irrelevant questions and gotten equally irrelevant answers.

When you then deign to condescend to us, as though we dismiss your arguments for failure to understand them, you're going to get glib condescension in return.

Your dismissal of philosophy is premature and foolish. Pithy slogans and memes like that aren't enough to fuel a worldview.

I did not dismiss philosophy. There's even such a thing as a PhD in the Philosophy of Science. As you point out, we do indeed use philosophy to justify the scientific outlook.

What I said was that your "what if"-type questions are moot, since we must make certain assumptions about the world in light of the fact that there's nothing more than a thought-exercise to suggest everything may be illusory. And even if that happens to be the case, our illusion tells us that certain things within the illusion are consistent-- that's where science operates, in the realm of "testable and found to be consistent".

And the part you ignored, in my reply, was that I pointed out that it doesn't matter how intelligent you are-- you came here, to a board filled with people who are as intelligent as you are, and immediately deigned to condescend to us, then took umbrage when your false assumption about why your ideas were being rejected led us to treat you in the way that we did...

...and will continue to do, as long as you speak this way.

Edit to Add: By the way, that meme was hilarious. "WHY do you want fries with that"? Come on. Stop being a pretentious douchebag.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
04-02-2017, 10:40 PM
(04-02-2017 10:29 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Actually, I think the debate lost interest in you.

Take the kettle off the stove there, young sprat.

Perhaps you'd care to explain to me what it is you're meaning with your comment:

(03-02-2017 11:52 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I agree that it works. I don't agree that we should assume it works.

Consider

I...am having trouble understanding the two halves of the sentence when read together.
04-02-2017, 10:47 PM
(04-02-2017 10:40 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 10:29 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Actually, I think the debate lost interest in you.

Take the kettle off the stove there, young sprat.

Perhaps you'd care to explain to me what it is you're meaning with your comment:

(03-02-2017 11:52 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I agree that it works. I don't agree that we should assume it works.

Consider

I...am having trouble understanding the two halves of the sentence when read together.

What I am saying is that everyone in this chat agrees that science works. But very few people here can justify the method or their belief that it works.

04-02-2017, 10:47 PM
(04-02-2017 10:28 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 05:50 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Make. Up. Your. Mind. Either something works or it does not.

I can justify science. You cannot.

You're very special, aren't you.
I bet you have big hands too.

(And the little bitch whines at me about being insulting and dismissive).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-02-2017, 10:49 PM
(04-02-2017 10:26 PM)Naielis Wrote:  What logical fallacies have I employed? Name one.

argumentum ad verecundiam is pretty obvious with you as the verecumdumb. You want I should find some more?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-02-2017, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 11:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-02-2017 10:40 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Perhaps you'd care to explain to me what it is you're meaning with your comment:

He's had a hardon for the problem of induction for like 50 posts now. Not sure why he keeps going on and on about it. It's become tedious.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-02-2017, 10:55 PM
(04-02-2017 10:47 PM)Naielis Wrote:  What I am saying is that everyone in this chat agrees that science works. But very few people here can justify the method or their belief that it works.

That still.. doesn't make sense when read.

"Every one can agree that 'X' works."

They just can't justify the way in which they 'believe' it works?"

Dafaq?

They are 'Witnessing'/'seeing' that it works.

That it's working is the objective thing. Is it not?

Consider
04-02-2017, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 11:05 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-02-2017 10:26 PM)Naielis Wrote:  What logical fallacies have I employed? Name one.

Special Pleading ... constantly.
Equivocation fallacy.

The Scientific Method doesn't need to be justified (except maybe to a childish twerp).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science
Fap away.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post