Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2017, 11:33 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(04-02-2017 11:31 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 10:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  He's had a hardon for the problem of induction for like 50 posts now. Not sure why he keeps going on and on about it. It's become tedious.

Perhaps it's because you and others tend to ignore it.

What did I say that makes you think I ignore it? I accept it.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2017, 11:33 PM
(04-02-2017 10:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 10:26 PM)Naielis Wrote:  What logical fallacies have I employed? Name one.

argumentum ad verecundiam is pretty obvious with you as the verecumdumb. You want I should find some more?

Acknowledging that I've studied philosophy doesn't equate to appealing to authority. I never posed an argument that I was right simply because I've studied philosophy.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
04-02-2017, 11:34 PM
(04-02-2017 11:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 11:31 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Perhaps it's because you and others tend to ignore it.

What did I say that makes you think I ignore it? I accept it.

And how do you solve it? That's what I've been asking.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
04-02-2017, 11:36 PM
(04-02-2017 11:24 PM)Naielis Wrote:  And for the last time, that simply was not special pleading. You have to prove that all things require causation. You have not.

If you exempt your god from causation, that is Special Pleading. You can say it's not from here to kingdom come. It is what it is.

Quote:I have linked arguments that show exactly why there can't only be contingent beings. I haven't exempted anything. In fact, you commit fallacy here. Category error. You treat necessary beings like contingent beings.

This is ALL utter bullshit. What we know about are the properties of this universe ONLY.
1. Virtual particles pop in and out of existence, with no cause.
2. You have no clue what the properties are:
a. near a singularity, when all the normal forces of Physics break down and are not operable, and
b. your assumption that the conditions which existed that *may* have caused this universe are the same as INSIDE this universe is utterly without basis.

You make ALL the totally amateurish rookie mistakes that stupid theists make.
AND while accusing others of not engaging in an argument, YOU ignore everything that's inconvenient.
A "necessary" being cannot be a god. It is subject to Reality, and cannot be the creator of that which it is REQUIRED to participate in.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-02-2017, 11:36 PM
(04-02-2017 11:17 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Your arguments are so fatally flawed that dismissing them is the merciful thing to do.

(04-02-2017 11:26 PM)Naielis Wrote:  This seems like a rationalization.

No, it's an observation. You have yet to present an argument worthy of in-depth analysis. You're making the same mistake that so many other theists make: You're trying to define your god into existence by saying it has to be the First Cause, and ignoring valid criticisms including an utter lack of physical evidence, no proven need for a First Cause, and no reasonable explanation as to how the god itself came to exist in the first place. All you have to show for your efforts here is a PRATT -- a point refuted a thousand times.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
04-02-2017, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 11:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-02-2017 11:33 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 10:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  argumentum ad verecundiam is pretty obvious with you as the verecumdumb. You want I should find some more?

Acknowledging that I've studied philosophy doesn't equate to appealing to authority.

Sharing the extent of your philosophical misadventures to support your arguments does in fact equate to argumentum ad verduncedeedum.

(04-02-2017 11:33 PM)Naielis Wrote:  I never posed an argument that I was right simply because I've studied philosophy.

Yeah, you see the problem here is your use of the qualifier "simply". If I remove the qualifier then you sure as shit have. Like almost with every post.

#sigh
04-02-2017, 11:39 PM
(04-02-2017 10:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Special Pleading ... constantly.
Equivocation fallacy.

I've already explained that I didn't use special pleading. And how did I equivocate?

(04-02-2017 10:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Scientific Method doesn't need to be justified (except maybe to a childish twerp).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science
Fap away.

Ok there's really no need for hostility here. We're just trying to have a conversation about reality. I'm sorry if I offended you with anything I said previously. Hopefully, we can start over with this conversation. Also I don't think Wikipedia is a reliable source for this topic. I'd use IEP or Stanford. They both have great entries, although IEP is probably a bit better.

04-02-2017, 11:40 PM
The argument regarding causation is not First Cause.
Is simply "proximate cause", (or "nearest cause"). An omnipotent deity could have created universe makers... which might explain why it has such a piss poor design.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-02-2017, 11:44 PM
(04-02-2017 11:36 PM)Astreja Wrote:  No, it's an observation. You have yet to present an argument worthy of in-depth analysis. You're making the same mistake that so many other theists make: You're trying to define your god into existence by saying it has to be the First Cause, and ignoring valid criticisms including an utter lack of physical evidence, no proven need for a First Cause, and no reasonable explanation as to how the god itself came to exist in the first place. All you have to show for your efforts here is a PRATT -- a point refuted a thousand times.

Lack of physical evidence is simply not relevant in this instance. We're talking about an immaterial being. I don't think you're working within my epistemology here. You're just asserting physical evidence is a problem. But that's the point that's in question isn't it? I don't think you've internally critiqued my metaphysics, but you act as though you have. We need to argue from the point of departure. So let me ask this. Do you think physical evidence is necessary in every justification?

04-02-2017, 11:45 PM
(04-02-2017 11:34 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 11:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What did I say that makes you think I ignore it? I accept it.

And how do you solve it? That's what I've been asking.

You can't. Is that what all this hubbub has been about?

#sigh