Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
05-12-2016, 11:55 AM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(05-12-2016 03:48 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote:shackles of morality
Facepalm

What are you, a fucking sociopath?

Do you do as you please? Or do you have some arbitrary set of moral rules, that you're under compulsion to abide by? If the later, have you found yourself coming across situations where on one hand you desired to do something, but found yourself unable to do so, because of some sort of obligation to a humanistic moral code? That absent of a belief in such a moral code, you would have done as you desired here?

It seems that you think those who don't believe in such arbitrary rules, who do as they see as pleasing to them, are sociopaths, even if they don't particularly find it pleasing to murder, or kill others. And perhaps they find it pleasing to live amicably with those around them.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2016, 11:58 AM
(05-12-2016 11:55 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 03:48 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Facepalm

Do you do as you please? Or do you have some arbitrary set of moral rules, that you're under compulsion to abide by? If the later, have you found yourself coming across situations where on one hand you desired to do something, but found yourself unable to do so, because of some sort of obligation to a humanistic moral code? That absent of a belief in such a moral code, you would have done as you desired here?

It seems that you think those who don't believe in such arbitrary rules, who do as they see as pleasing to them, are sociopaths, even if they don't particularly find it pleasing to murder, or kill others. And perhaps they find it pleasing to live amicably with those around them.

Straw man

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-12-2016, 12:09 PM
(04-12-2016 03:45 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  Huh!

We are genetically wired (as social beings) to be uncomfortable doing X.

Sure, as every other animal in this regard is. Though our uncomfortabilities are not entirely fixed. Things we are uncomfortable with now, might not be as uncomfortable for us later, perhaps they might even be enjoyable, or we might be neutral to it. Many of us meat eaters, might be quite uncomfortable with the prospect of killing our own farm animals, though we might get over our uncomfortability rather quickly if we could no longer outsource this task to butchers.

There might be things we've never tried that we might imagine we'd be uncomfortable with, but a taste might prove otherwise.

Quote:Is there such a thing as a Christian Nihilist? Tomasia, I think you qualify. Humanists believe in behaving in an ethical manner.

A humanist holds to a thin veneer of moral obligation, that if shit hit the fan, they can dispose of rather quickly, because why should they be subservient to these rules, when tempted otherwise? They're not truths, just a series of personal preferences, disposable when the time is right.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
05-12-2016, 12:11 PM
(05-12-2016 12:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 03:45 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  Huh!

We are genetically wired (as social beings) to be uncomfortable doing X.

Sure, as every other animal in this regard is. Though our uncomfortabilities are not entirely fixed. Things we are uncomfortable with now, might not be as uncomfortable for us later, perhaps they might even be enjoyable, or we might be neutral to it. Many of us meat eaters, might be quite uncomfortable with the prospect of killing our own farm animals, though we might get over our uncomfortability rather quickly if we could no longer outsource this task to butchers.

There might be things we've never tried that we might imagine we'd be uncomfortable with, but a taste might prove otherwise.

Quote:Is there such a thing as a Christian Nihilist? Tomasia, I think you qualify. Humanists believe in behaving in an ethical manner.

A humanist holds to a thin veneer of moral obligation, that if shit hit the fan, they can dispose of rather quickly, because why should they be subservient to these rules, when tempted otherwise? They're not truths, just a series of personal preferences, disposable when the time is right.

More straw men.

You'd think after all the threads on morality where you have had this explained to you that you'd have learned something by now. Guess not.

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-12-2016, 12:28 PM
(05-12-2016 12:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You'd think after all the threads on morality where you have had this explained to you that you'd have learned something by now. Guess not.

Yes, I've explained this numerous times to individuals such as yourself, many of whom do seem to get it. You never do. I believe Stevil and Matt have tried to instruct you accordingly, but you still don't get it.

[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
05-12-2016, 12:31 PM
(05-12-2016 12:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 12:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You'd think after all the threads on morality where you have had this explained to you that you'd have learned something by now. Guess not.

Yes, I've explained this numerous times to individuals such as yourself, many of whom do seem to get it. You never do. I believe Stevil and Matt have tried to instruct you accordingly, but you still don't get it.

What you have attempted to explain is a load of bullshit. Keep peddling the same BS, at least it doesn't appear that anyone gives you the benefit of the doubt anymore. Laughat

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-12-2016, 12:35 PM
(27-11-2016 01:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Humanist morality at best amounts to suggesting that we shouldn't do X, because it makes you uncomfortable, or it makes you feel bad.

Wow. You got that completely ass-backwards.

As an actual humanist (makes mental note to renew membership in local association), I can tell you that the reason I don't do X is that I know it makes other people feel bad, not because it makes Me feel bad. (The fact that the thought of hurting someone is unpleasant is reinforcement, not the cause, for My morality.)

I certainly wouldn't go the "not perfect, just forgiven" route, hurting someone and then begging a third party for forgiveness. No
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Astreja's post
05-12-2016, 12:40 PM
(05-12-2016 12:35 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(27-11-2016 01:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Humanist morality at best amounts to suggesting that we shouldn't do X, because it makes you uncomfortable, or it makes you feel bad.

Wow. You got that completely ass-backwards.

As an actual humanist (makes mental note to renew membership in local association), I can tell you that the reason I don't do X is that I know it makes other people feel bad, not because it makes Me feel bad. (The fact that the thought of hurting someone is unpleasant is reinforcement, not the cause, for My morality.)

I certainly wouldn't go the "not perfect, just forgiven" route, hurting someone and then begging a third party for forgiveness. No

You're not the first person to explain that to him and you clearly won't be the last

-Rick
05-12-2016, 12:47 PM
This thread reminds me of a time when I volunteered for a few years in prison ministry. One day, we didn't leave in time, so everyone had to stay in the chapel during the shift change for the correctional officers. Somehow the conversation went to why each of us was there. The most common answer was a variation of, "I need good works alongside my faith to get into Heaven." It bowled the woman in charge of organizing everything, and myself, over to hear that. We were both there to actually help remind people they'd not been forgotten on the outside, that we still saw them as people and as our equals. Despite it being a prison ministry, religious reasons were basically the last on our two's list.

(05-12-2016 03:48 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote:shackles of morality
Facepalm

Exact words that came to my mind as well, on reading that.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post