Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2016, 09:31 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(15-12-2016 09:29 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Its still a period of slavery as far as I can see.

No, he's right about the indentured servitude bit, sold for debts, etc.

That's not all there is to the story, though. And it's dishonest of him to pretend it is.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
15-12-2016, 09:34 PM
(15-12-2016 09:30 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Don't go there Rocket. I have been through the Bible more than you.

Yeah, you clearly haven't read the Bible, but only apologists' websites. The 7-year thing (also a longer cycle, called the Jubilee) only applies to indentured servants who were fellow Hebrews.

Yes, the year of Jubilee. The Bible at the time was for the Jews alone.

Also we are still not discussing Christian morality.

Christianity is based on the old testament.

Do I need to quote the "jot & tittle" passage?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
(15-12-2016 09:30 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Don't go there Rocket. I have been through the Bible more than you.

Yeah, you clearly haven't read the Bible, but only apologists' websites. The 7-year thing (also a longer cycle, called the Jubilee) only applies to indentured servants who were fellow Hebrews.

Yes, the year of Jubilee. The Bible at the time was for the Jews alone.

Also we are still not discussing Christian morality.

Way to avoid every point I made in that post except the first line. Nice.

I knew you'd be one of those Liars For Jesus™. Could smell it on ya.

And how could you possibly know how much I have "been through" the Bible?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Ok I stand corrected thanks for the heads up on that one
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
15-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Ok so they took it from the gigamesh myth doesn't mean it didn't happen. Show me where in danial does it have inaccuracies. Yes to have faith for eternal life and not just to die. Thats a great bargin how I see it. Ifyou want to see magic why ddon't you try to do magic or have faith and wait till jesus which I do think will come in the fifty years.
15-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Are we discussing Christian morality and humanist morality or ancient Jewish Law?

You admonished me to stay on topic very early. If you want to discuss Jewish Law concerning these things I will. What thread is discussing that topic?

Christian morality states that if you think you should do good and you do not you have sinned.
15-12-2016, 09:38 PM
(15-12-2016 09:30 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Also we are still not discussing Christian morality.

Do you really want to jump ahead to that?

The whole "eternal lake of fire"? Eternal damnation for mortal crimes?

If you believe in the omni- god, then god knew you were going to sin and created you anyway.

Or, what about the doctrine of Original Sin? That's always nice, being punished something someone else did.

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
15-12-2016, 09:41 PM
(15-12-2016 09:37 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Are we discussing Christian morality and humanist morality or ancient Jewish Law?

Christianity claims the old testament as the roots of its faith.

Don't whine at us if you can't defend it.

[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
15-12-2016, 09:41 PM
And how could you possibly know how much I have "been through" the Bible?

The same way you knew how much I had been through it.

Why don't we stop all this crap about what we have studied etc. and discuss Christian morality.
15-12-2016, 09:42 PM
(15-12-2016 09:31 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(15-12-2016 09:29 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Its still a period of slavery as far as I can see.

No, he's right about the indentured servitude bit, sold for debts, etc.

That's not all there is to the story, though. And it's dishonest of him to pretend it is.

I think that is the whole story with respect to Christianity. Judaism is a different story.