Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(05-12-2016 02:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 02:42 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It might not be filtered to whats called religion, it's likely filtered through your own liberal/humanistic, western lenses, and fundamentally false.

Laughat Fundamentally false huh? Like fairy stories about Jesus?

Is it ironic or blatantly hypocritical for Tomato to call something someone believes "fundamentally false?"

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2016, 03:07 PM
(05-12-2016 02:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes Tommy stinks up another thread.

Go on then Tommy, instead of being a dick why don't you tell us what's so good about your morality, that maintains "goodness" with the threat of punishment. Are you "good" because you innately prefer not to be a total prick (not you, but people who follow Christian morality in general), or because you fear punishment if you *are* a total prick? Are you like so many others of your ilk, who take delight in the nastiness they *are* allowed to practice, like discriminating against homosexuals? God specifically says to do that, remember - "homosexuality is an abomination", where he's totally silent about for example, not raping people. The only caveat with raping a girl is that you might have to marry her.

Fucken nice morality you've got there mate Thumbsup

And how does your morality work? Can you think of a time that you desired to do something, but avoided doing so because of an obligation to a humanistic moral code?
Or can you say you do as your desire and please?

If an action, or it's consequences appear to be unpleasant, you would perhaps avoid it. And if an action would be ultimately gratifying, or rewarding, you'd likely do it. Or do you subscribe to some arbitrary moral code, that limits you here from doing as you desire?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-12-2016, 03:09 PM
(05-12-2016 03:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 02:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes Tommy stinks up another thread.

Go on then Tommy, instead of being a dick why don't you tell us what's so good about your morality, that maintains "goodness" with the threat of punishment. Are you "good" because you innately prefer not to be a total prick (not you, but people who follow Christian morality in general), or because you fear punishment if you *are* a total prick? Are you like so many others of your ilk, who take delight in the nastiness they *are* allowed to practice, like discriminating against homosexuals? God specifically says to do that, remember - "homosexuality is an abomination", where he's totally silent about for example, not raping people. The only caveat with raping a girl is that you might have to marry her.

Fucken nice morality you've got there mate Thumbsup

And how does your morality work? Can you think of a time that you desired to do something, but avoided doing so because of an obligation to a humanistic moral code?
Or can you say you do as your desire and please?

If an action, or it's consequences appear to be unpleasant, you would perhaps avoid it. And if an action would be ultimately gratifying, or rewarding, you'd likely do it. Or do you subscribe to some arbitrary moral code, that limits you here from doing as you desire?

The religious still fail to grasp that if you need to be told not to do shitty immoral things to other people, it doesn't make you a good person or a moral person. It just makes you a sociopath following enough of the rules to not get in trouble.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-12-2016, 03:41 PM
(05-12-2016 12:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  [quote='666wannabe' pid='1099326' dateline='1480887922']

A humanist holds to a thin veneer of moral obligation.

This view reveals that you are driven by legalism, not morality--you perceive yourself to be "obligated" to legalistically adhere to a dogma. I rape and kill anyone I want to, which is no one.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 6 users Like 666wannabe's post
05-12-2016, 03:45 PM
(05-12-2016 03:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And how does your morality work?

Threw it in the trash 40 years ago. Never missed it.

#sigh
05-12-2016, 04:20 PM
(05-12-2016 03:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 03:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And how does your morality work?

Threw it in the trash 40 years ago. Never missed it.

I guess that makes you a sociopath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-12-2016, 04:23 PM
(05-12-2016 04:20 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 03:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Threw it in the trash 40 years ago. Never missed it.

I guess that makes you a sociopath.

They're completely unrelated. Correlation is not causation.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-12-2016, 04:23 PM
(05-12-2016 03:41 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 12:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  [quote='666wannabe' pid='1099326' dateline='1480887922']

A humanist holds to a thin veneer of moral obligation.

This view reveals that you are driven by legalism, not morality--you perceive yourself to be "obligated" to legalistically adhere to a dogma. I rape and kill anyone I want to, which is no one.

Exactly, and if you wanted to rape and kill someone, and could get over your fear of being caught, or thrown in jail you probably would.

The only morality here is to do whatever it is that pleases you.

05-12-2016, 04:26 PM
(05-12-2016 04:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 03:41 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  This view reveals that you are driven by legalism, not morality--you perceive yourself to be "obligated" to legalistically adhere to a dogma. I rape and kill anyone I want to, which is no one.

Exactly, and if you wanted to rape and kill someone, and could get over your fear of being caught, or thrown in jail you probably would.

That's pretty much it in a ball sac. The problem starts when the idea of raping and killing someone pleases you. Then we gotta put you away. It's nothing personal. It's for your own good as much as ours.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-12-2016, 05:05 PM
(05-12-2016 04:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-12-2016 03:41 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  This view reveals that you are driven by legalism, not morality--you perceive yourself to be "obligated" to legalistically adhere to a dogma. I rape and kill anyone I want to, which is no one.

I have no desire to rape of kill anyone, with or without the threat of being incarcerated. I think the reason I do not have this desire is because I know that I don't want to be raped or killed and I have the right to not be, and so does every other human. It's called empathy--for all humans, not just for the "in" group.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post