Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2016, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2016 10:28 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(15-12-2016 10:12 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I have been all through the "alma" discussion and it is boring. People like you will not be persuaded and I know I am right.

I have stated many times so far that the Christian basis for morality is that if you know to do good and you do not it is sin. That is Christian morality. It is much more restrictive than the Jewish laws. Think about raping and you have broken it. Think about doing your neighbor harm and you have broken it.

What do you mean "it is boring". It's Hebrew.

And what do you mean "people like you"? Are you calling me a Jew, like this guy?

https://outreachjudaism.org/alma-virgin/

He specifically deals with the Christian apologist claim that a young woman would automatically be a virgin, in that culture, by pointing out that Solomon metaphorically references a sneaky promiscuous woman, using the word "alma", in Proverbs 30.

Yet again, these kinds of excuses why I refer to apologists as Liars For Jesus™.

Edit to Add: Oh, and screw you for saying I would not be persuaded. Do not project your dishonesty onto me. I will always change my mind when presented with a better argument. That is the fundamental basis for scientific thinking, to which I adhere by personal philosophy and by academic training. To say that I would not change my mind if presented with better evidence is to suggest that I am no better than what I was, when I was a fundamentalist. I have recovered from that, and I hold people like you who think that changing one's mind is a weakness, or who think that their opponents will not change their minds out of nothing but stubbornness in adhering to a favored idea (projection, much?), in nothing but contempt.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Ok it just kinda came off a bit like that.
15-12-2016, 10:26 PM
A number of years ago I had a discussion with someone online and we both read everything we could about the subject. He posted Jewish scholars that said one thing and I posted Jewish scholars that said the opposite. You and I probably do not know the ancient languages so we have to defer to scholars. I do not want to go through my list of scholars and post them so you can post your list of scholars. Like I said "boring."
We will get nowhere.
15-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Jewish scholars who think that "almah" means "virgin", in Isaiah?

Oh, no, please, I GOTTA read this.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Google. Its all there.
15-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Is there a thread on the lie of evolution?
15-12-2016, 10:43 PM
(15-12-2016 10:33 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Is there a thread on the lie of evolution?

I think there are a number of threads on evolution go to the main interface and hit search to find.
15-12-2016, 10:49 PM
BWAHAHA okay now you're just trolling us, Bz.

Evolution is reality. You want to learn how we know that's true from DNA alone, read The Language of God by (evangelical Christian, head of the National Institutes of Health, and former head of the Human Genome Project) Dr. Francis S. Collins.

It's available online in pdf format:

http://www.difa3iat.com/wp-content/uploa...ollins.pdf

But back to the point. No, I have Google and I'm unfamiliar with (and unable to find) any Jewish scholars who would claim that Isaiah 7 refers to a virgin or that it is a valid prophecy of Jesus, as opposed to a reference to something that would happen in the day of the king to whom the book/chapter is addressed. I can find lots of Christians willing to make up a bunch of bullshit about it, but that's not what I asked you for. You claim there are Jewish scholars who'd defend the passage in Matthew that claims Isaiah 7 is referencing a virgin giving birth to a child in the time of Jesus?

It doesn't exist. There's nothing to Google. You're a Liar For Jesus™.

15-12-2016, 11:00 PM
(15-12-2016 08:53 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Validity is a good term. Consistency is an important factor in validity. How can a set of morals have validity when from one day to the next or from one culture to another the "rules" change.

Christian morality has not change for two thousand years.

I murder wrong? Some places - others places not so much. There is a tribe in Africa where just about every year one member of the tribe is murdered. Without that murder the tribe would fail due to over population. Murder works for them.

Name the tribe fucker.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
15-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Oh hey MD. You're late to the party. This one's yet another Liar For Jesus™. Don't expect him to back up any of the bullshit he spews, here. He's too accustomed to his clique of brain-blown Believers blindly accepting whatever Smart Sounding Stuff he spews (I feel alliterative tonight, apparently), and has already stooped to accusing us of not agreeing with him because we refuse to change our minds in the face of good evidence.

I still want to know how the Liars For Jesus™ Club got our address. Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post