Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2016, 07:34 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(16-12-2016 01:51 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Adey, he's right. The entire scientific consensus CAN be wrong, and one guy with a "crazy" new idea can disprove it all. More commonly, it's not that the consensus was wrong, but that they were overlooking some new piece of information that forces the original position to be revised. Examples of this include the discovery of genetics and of relativity. In the latter case, it's not that Newton was WRONG, per se, just that he had no knowledge of the speed of light and no ability to even suspect that his laws of motion changed at extremely high velocities.

In the case of Behe, it's this "one guy can disprove all of you" idea that Creationists bank upon, ignoring that 1) Behe also acknowledges evolution and our common ancestry with chimps, and 2) in order to overcome the prevailing consensus of the day, you must have the ability to scientifically demonstrate that your ideas are valid. Einstein did just that. Behe has not only failed at it, he has been openly demonstrated to be wrong in every prediction he has made.

Far from being a champion of anti-evolution science, he has become a laughingstock when even he was forced to admit that in order for his idea to be called science, we would have to expand the definition of science itself to such a degree that astrology would fall under its reach. Behe's ideas are not science but wishful thinking, and he has made a lot of money from those who still think that his ideas land credence to their desire to deny the scientific evidence.

In short, science does not work by consensus, but when you have a model like evolution that has stood up to literally over a century of scrutiny by the scientific community, it's okay to refer to that consensus because it has become a well confirmed concept widely accepted.

I stand corrected.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2016, 07:35 PM
(15-12-2016 08:30 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Not a problem. This is not my first rodeo.

Christian morality is so far above human morality they are not even in the same realm.

Christian morality states that if you even think you should do good and do not then you have sinned. Try to find a moral code that is higher.

Why are Christians so worried about the things that people think? I've never really understood that.

I'm also unimpressed with that moral code because the it means the thought police are always in your head. You're doing good deeds because you're being watched. You have no room for error and growth because you're bogged down with this fear of not doing enough. Maybe Christians are constantly reviewing their lives, worrying about what opportunities they've missed -what sins they've committed- rather than living their lives to the best of their ability.

Maybe this is why Christians are so easily stereotyped as being overly competitive with one another. They seem to thrill in showcasing their own religious achievements, even if (and possibly especially if) those achievements come at the expense of someone making someone else feel inferior.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
16-12-2016, 07:47 PM
(16-12-2016 07:35 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

Christian morality is so far above human morality they are not even in the same realm.

Christian morality states that if you even think you should do good and do not then you have sinned. Try to find a moral code that is higher.

Why are Christians so worried about the things that people think? I've never really understood that.

I'm also unimpressed with that moral code because the it means the thought police are always in your head. You're doing good deeds because you're being watched. You have no room for error and growth because you're bogged down with this fear of not doing enough. Maybe Christians are constantly reviewing their lives, worrying about what opportunities they've missed -what sins they've committed- rather than living their lives to the best of their ability.

Maybe this is why Christians are so easily stereotyped as being overly competitive with one another. They seem to thrill in showcasing their own religious achievements, even if (and possibly especially if) those achievements come at the expense of someone making someone else feel inferior.

It's that threat of punishment and the promise of reward that has always made me question their motives.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
16-12-2016, 07:55 PM
(16-12-2016 07:35 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

I am not worried about what you think or anyone else. I am stating that Christian morality goes to more than just what you do but what you think.

No thought police in Christianity. You will not be punished for what you think or even what you do - by God.

Christian are admonished to not be conscious of sin.

You have the wrong idea about Christianity. Luckily, I am willing to share.
16-12-2016, 07:56 PM
(16-12-2016 07:47 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 07:35 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Why are Christians so worried about the things that people think? I've never really understood that.

It's that threat of punishment and the promise of reward that has always made me question their motives.

There is no threat of punishment in Christianity. The rewards are given to us to bless others.
16-12-2016, 07:57 PM
I am going to go back and see how many times Rocket says that I was right. I think it is four now.
16-12-2016, 08:02 PM
(16-12-2016 07:56 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 07:47 PM)pablo Wrote:  It's that threat of punishment and the promise of reward that has always made me question their motives.

There is no threat of punishment in Christianity. The rewards are given to us to bless others.

Why is there a need for hell then?
16-12-2016, 08:05 PM
(16-12-2016 08:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 07:56 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  There is no threat of punishment in Christianity. The rewards are given to us to bless others.

Why is there a need for hell then?

Hell was for Satan and his demons.
16-12-2016, 08:11 PM
(16-12-2016 08:05 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 08:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  Why is there a need for hell then?

Hell was for Satan and his demons.

So they're all alone there?
I'm pretty sure you you indicated earlier that sinners went to hell.
16-12-2016, 08:13 PM
(16-12-2016 08:11 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 08:05 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Hell was for Satan and his demons.

So they're all alone there?
I'm pretty sure you you indicated earlier that sinners went to hell.

Made for them - never intended for humans but alas some choose it over Heaven.