Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2016, 07:26 AM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(16-12-2016 08:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head...

Did you make the bus in seconds flat?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
17-12-2016, 07:31 AM
(15-12-2016 10:12 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I have stated many times so far that the Christian basis for morality is that if you know to do good and you do not it is sin. That is Christian morality. It is much more restrictive than the Jewish laws. Think about raping and you have broken it. Think about doing your neighbor harm and you have broken it.

(16-12-2016 07:55 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  No thought police in Christianity. You will not be punished for what you think or even what you do - by God.

Those quotes appear to be directly contradictory. If god does not punish sinners then are sinners not punished? If they are, by whom and by what right? Under what set of rules?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
17-12-2016, 07:35 AM
(16-12-2016 08:13 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 08:11 PM)pablo Wrote:  So they're all alone there?
I'm pretty sure you you indicated earlier that sinners went to hell.

Made for them - never intended for humans but alas some choose it over Heaven.

Never intended for humans?

Ooopsy! God couldn't forsee the future?

I guess he bit off more than he could chew when he did all of this creating business. Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
17-12-2016, 07:49 AM
(16-12-2016 08:13 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 08:11 PM)pablo Wrote:  So they're all alone there?
I'm pretty sure you you indicated earlier that sinners went to hell.

Made for them - never intended for humans but alas some choose it over Heaven.

And out of the window goes omniscience. Drinking Beverage

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
17-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Not to mention that "some choose it even though it wasn't meant for humans" is an outright lie.

It is clearly "meant" for anyone who is disobedient. It is the ultimate punishment.

Whether those disobedient beings are angels or humans is clearly irrelevant. You either kiss God's ass (translation: obey the rules the priests make up while claiming to speak for God) and go to heaven, or else you are tortured forever.

I keep saying it: this is the moral equivalent of Rapist with Gun. "Do as I tell you to do, just surrender your will and let me love you, and you won't get hurt."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-12-2016, 09:37 AM
(17-12-2016 07:31 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-12-2016 10:12 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I have stated many times so far that the Christian basis for morality is that if you know to do good and you do not it is sin. That is Christian morality. It is much more restrictive than the Jewish laws. Think about raping and you have broken it. Think about doing your neighbor harm and you have broken it.

(16-12-2016 07:55 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  No thought police in Christianity. You will not be punished for what you think or even what you do - by God.

Those quotes appear to be directly contradictory. If god does not punish sinners then are sinners not punished? If they are, by whom and by what right? Under what set of rules?
Don't forget this is Christianity were talking about so everything is our fault goddykins gets a complete pass, I predict the answer will be that apparently we punish ourselves just like how we send ourselves to hell or some such shit along those lines.
18-12-2016, 10:53 AM
I think Bz has gone, the thorough spanking he boasted about giving us when he first got here has turned into an horrific beating for him.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
18-12-2016, 11:14 AM
(18-12-2016 10:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I think Bz has gone, the thorough spanking he boasted about giving us when he first got here has turned into an horrific beating for him.

I'm guessing he wasn't prepared for the tsunami of logic, science and dialectic he found here? Or, he was just some smartarse kid stirring the pot?

Good riddance. Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
18-12-2016, 11:33 AM
What i found particularly *impressive* was the difference between his perceived knowledge when he made his first post about having had discussions with atheists in the past, and his actual performance (arguments) on TTA.

Shrugging off the OT (or not!) as it pleased him. Constantly contradicting himself within the shortest possible time spans. Statements that can only not being considered lying if you assume that some serious mindbending his happening in his skull. Gish galopping after he has been shown to be wrong on any given topic. Insane.

Most staggering however was his ignorance of the bible!!!!!

He was making statements i could easily refute by just doing 2sec google searches. I havent ever read much of the bible. Most of the stuff i know i learned within the past year or so. It is hilarious. These people dedicate major portions of their life to this book and they dont read the cruical parts or know the most criticized topics and are prepared? I mean, slavery, come on.....the only way a theist can win this part of the debate, is by not talking about slavery at all! God is not wrathful (in the NT particularly), gimme a fucking break! Lack of scepticism, lack of understanding of science, it was ridiculous. I am not even talking about how others just simply left him in the dust so to speak. He had no clue about the content nor the history of his religion. Blink

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
18-12-2016, 11:44 AM
(18-12-2016 10:53 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I think Bz has gone, the thorough spanking he boasted about giving us when he first got here has turned into an horrific beating for him.

Yeah. I was promised a good spanking. Dodgy
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post