Christian vs. Humanist Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2016, 03:41 PM
RE: Christian vs. Humanist Morality
(18-12-2016 03:35 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 03:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  Show me one published academic geologist who is not also a creationist Christian or Muslim (creationism is also pushed by Muslims) who says that there was a global flood?

Strawman argument
Um. Words mean things. You can't just post that and leave the field with the victory. Please explain to me how that is a strawman?

Quote:
Quote:Anyway the great part of this is, that I think you have to consider the idea that there is no way that you actually know that your religion is true Smile Your conviction may be good enough for you, but how do you know you are not deluded?
How do you know I am?
I don't Wink Not for certain. But I'm pretty sure. About as sure as I am that you won't lead me to God. Basically you deny scientific fact in favour of your religious tales. That's a strong hint to me that you're not thinking critically.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-12-2016, 03:41 PM
(18-12-2016 03:38 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Are we supposed to count the number of scientists believe a hypothesis and go with that?

The number is indeed irrelevant. However, when 99.9999% of the scientific community (and I mean that number literally) says one thing-- and a large number of those scientists are Christians-- but the 0.0001% remainder is entirely composed of fundamentalists who are emotionally tied to the need for the Bible to be literally true and historical, I think it's fair to say that they are a tiny and irrelevant clique.

If I wanted to claim that Germ Theory was incorrect, against 99.9999% of the scientific community, I would have to have VERY good arguments in contrast to that theory. And my group's claims would be suspect if it turned out that we had an emotional reason for rejecting Germ Theory.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-12-2016, 03:42 PM
(18-12-2016 03:38 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Are we supposed to count the number of scientists who believe a hypothesis and go with that?

Ever heard of project Steve? Rolleyes

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Why are you wasting your time then?
18-12-2016, 03:48 PM
(18-12-2016 03:45 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Why are you wasting your time then?

I read The Passing of an Illusion: The Idea of Communism in the Twentieth Century by Fran├žois Furet. It's far from easy book so I need some cheap amusement; seeing as yet another theist is trying to peddle his bullshit amuses me greatly.

Honesty is best policy I think.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-12-2016, 03:49 PM
(18-12-2016 03:41 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 03:38 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Are we supposed to count the number of scientists believe a hypothesis and go with that?

The number is indeed irrelevant. However, when 99.9999% of the scientific community (and I mean that number literally) says one thing-- and a large number of those scientists are Christians-- but the 0.0001% remainder is entirely composed of fundamentalists who are emotionally tied to the need for the Bible to be literally true and historical, I think it's fair to say that they are a tiny and irrelevant clique.

Citation please.
Quote:If I wanted to claim that Germ Theory was incorrect, against 99.9999% of the scientific community, I would have to have VERY good arguments in contrast to that theory. And my group's claims would be suspect if it turned out that we had an emotional reason for rejecting Germ Theory.

Speaking of Germ Theory -Despite various publications of results where hand washing reduced mortality to below 1%, Semmelweis's observations conflicted with the established scientific and medical opinions of the time and his ideas were rejected by the medical community. Semmelweis could offer no acceptable scientific explanation for his findings, and some doctors were offended at the suggestion that they should wash their hands. Semmelweis's practice earned widespread acceptance only years after his death, when Louis Pasteur confirmed the germ theory and Joseph Lister, acting on the French microbiologist's research, practiced and operated, using hygienic methods, with great success.

Took quite a while for the doctors to accept the truth.
18-12-2016, 03:50 PM
(18-12-2016 03:48 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  

I read The Passing of an Illusion: The Idea of Communism in the Twentieth Century by Fran├žois Furet. It's far from easy book so I need some cheap amusement; seeing as yet another theist is trying to peddle his bullshit amuses me greatly.

Honesty is best policy I think.

Happy to amuse.
18-12-2016, 03:50 PM
I "waste my time" arguing against Creationism because it has very real consequences for my country and society, if people reject scientific thinking for the idea that "well there are two groups arguing about this, so I'll go with the side I prefer" is an okay way to go through life.

You're not even curious to know if the group upon which you rely is literally lying about polystrate trees?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-12-2016, 03:51 PM

How are we wasting time? Christ man. It's a friggin' discussion forum. You're here trying to sell us snake oil, and you think we're wasting our time pointing out the obvious flaws?

18-12-2016, 03:51 PM
(18-12-2016 03:50 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I "waste my time" arguing against Creationism because it has very real consequences for my country and society, if people reject scientific thinking for the idea that "well there are two groups arguing about this, so I'll go with the side I prefer" is an okay way to go through life.

You're not even curious to know if the group upon which you rely is literally lying about polystrate trees?

I have read both sides.