Christian wife, kinda

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Christian wife, kinda
So during a pointless but heated arguement that had nothing to do with religion I made the mistake of bringing it up. I have brought up my wife's faith maybe only a couple times in the 10 years we've been together. She has never really told me what she believes before, except that she's a christian. I started by talking about how the bible is oppressive to women and she immediately stopped me and said she doesn't believe in the bible and she only picks and chooses what she wants from it. She also told me she has never read it and never plans to and also never plans on attending church. At one point she even said "maybe I'm not a christian" but then she said she was because she believed in Jesus and that's all that matters and that no one agrees on the bible which is why there's so many christian denominations.

Another thing she told me was that she doesn't know how I can be an atheist and that she won't believe that there is nothing after this life and that she needs to believe in something. I have no problem with her believing whatever she wants and I reiterated that to her but I did tell her that it's strange that she doesn't believe in the bible that her beliefs are based on. To me this could be good and it could also be bad. She is more progressive in her beliefs which is good but I still don't know exactly what she believes. I usually don't even bring up religion because she hates discussing it. She also hates discussing science and history so I can't bring up those subjects either.

I have always had the suspicion that she cherry picked the bible but I don't understand how someone can pick and choose what they want when they don't know the total contents. And the other week she tells me that she wants our son to go to a christian preschool, which she knows I'm against but I agreed to anyways (I think her overly religious parents are behind this one). I thought to myself "How can you want your child to be taught something that you haven't even read our fully understand yourself?"

So I guess I learned a little bit about my wife's beliefs. I just wish she would at least read the bible instead of cherry picking the parts they taught her growing up at church.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2016, 06:13 AM
RE: Christian wife, kinda
my wife, mom, and sister are pretty much like this as well. i got into a little conversation with them about it yesterday. my mom admitted that she thought it was all crazy and that she was just covering her ass in case of an afterlife. i told her shes got a lot more covering to do, because there are a shit load of religions out there. she didnt have much to say after that.
08-03-2016, 08:09 AM
(04-03-2016 12:50 PM)OceanTherapist Wrote:  So during a pointless but heated arguement that had nothing to do with religion I made the mistake of bringing it up. I have brought up my wife's faith maybe only a couple times in the 10 years we've been together. She has never really told me what she believes before, except that she's a christian. I started by talking about how the bible is oppressive to women and she immediately stopped me and said she doesn't believe in the bible and she only picks and chooses what she wants from it. She also told me she has never read it and never plans to and also never plans on attending church. At one point she even said "maybe I'm not a christian" but then she said she was because she believed in Jesus and that's all that matters and that no one agrees on the bible which is why there's so many christian denominations.

Another thing she told me was that she doesn't know how I can be an atheist and that she won't believe that there is nothing after this life and that she needs to believe in something. I have no problem with her believing whatever she wants and I reiterated that to her but I did tell her that it's strange that she doesn't believe in the bible that her beliefs are based on. To me this could be good and it could also be bad. She is more progressive in her beliefs which is good but I still don't know exactly what she believes. I usually don't even bring up religion because she hates discussing it. She also hates discussing science and history so I can't bring up those subjects either.

I have always had the suspicion that she cherry picked the bible but I don't understand how someone can pick and choose what they want when they don't know the total contents. And the other week she tells me that she wants our son to go to a christian preschool, which she knows I'm against but I agreed to anyways (I think her overly religious parents are behind this one). I thought to myself "How can you want your child to be taught something that you haven't even read our fully understand yourself?"

So I guess I learned a little bit about my wife's beliefs. I just wish she would at least read the bible instead of cherry picking the parts they taught her growing up at church.

The whole idea of cherry picking when it comes to the Bible is silly. The Bible is a book written by numerous authors written over the course of several hundred years, containing stories, parables, etc... Christianity doesn't equal the Bible. When someone identifies as a Christian it doesn't entail a denominational affiliation, or even whether they subscribe to orthodox views of Christianity, it just entails that they identify with the label of Christian more so than other labels, that something resonates for them about the person of Jesus. For a religion of 2 billion, there's a considerable degree of diversity, and malleability to it.

That's generally all it means.

The Bible doesn't given instruction on how it is to be read or understand, hence why you have so many different denominations, who build their own idealogical and doctrinal beliefs, often in conflict with other sects. And this has been true from pretty much from the beginning, from Paul's disputes with Jesus's disciples, to the various faction of Judaism. Hence why even among orthodox sects, you still have considerable disagreements among Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Mainline Protestants, Fundie Evangelicals, though they agree the same same core.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
08-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Yep....this is why I'm with an Atheist. lol