Christian with a question....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Christian with a question....
So I guess I'm in hot water right off the bat, but here it goes anyway: Could you assume, just for the sake of this question, that there is a god? And you're standing before him on judgement day. God says: "You can go back to earth and live a natural born God-fearing life or be sent directly to hell, which would you choose? Please don't play the "that's never going to happen because there is no god" card just for the sake of this discussion.

Thanks for answering, I'd think this would be a really tough decision.

Phu Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2016, 12:57 PM
RE: Christian with a question....
(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  So I guess I'm in hot water right off the bat, but here it goes anyway: Could you assume, just for the sake of this question, that there is a god? And you're standing before him on judgement day. God says: "You can go back to earth and live a natural born God-fearing life or be sent directly to hell, which would you choose? Please don't play the "that's never going to happen because there is no god" card just for the sake of this discussion.

Phu Cat

No.

If any of that did happen, which I believe couldn't anyway, I'd probably give it a hefty peice of my mind and end it with telling him where he could shove the options.

Welcome to our community.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 10 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-06-2016, 01:00 PM
No.

And what if you got up there and Odin demanded to know why you didn't die with a weapon in your hand?

{ No matter how you try to parse Pascal's Wager it always comes back to your basic assumption that YOUR INVISIBLE SKY DADDY is the real one.]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 11 users Like Minimalist's post
13-06-2016, 01:07 PM
(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  So I guess I'm in hot water right off the bat, but here it goes anyway: Could you assume, just for the sake of this question, that there is a god? And you're standing before him on judgement day. God says: "You can go back to earth and live a natural born God-fearing life or be sent directly to hell, which would you choose? Please don't play the "that's never going to happen because there is no god" card just for the sake of this discussion.

Phu Cat

I made that decision when I was 17. We were studying Old Testament history and reading a chapter where God demands that they kill everybody in a particular city except the comely young females that were to be used as the soldiers wished, and I a male decided that that was horrible and if God was as He was described He had no respect coming from me. It was another 10 years before I realized that all that was fantasy, but my decision would be the same if presented with your scenario, I would ask God what the hell was wrong with his upbringing that he would treat people like that! And suggest that He present Himself at Hell's gate for His punishment for being so horrible.
[+] 4 users Like Born Again Pagan's post
13-06-2016, 01:17 PM
(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  So I guess I'm in hot water right off the bat,

Why?

(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Could you assume, just for the sake of this question, that there is a god?

Depends on the question.

(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  And you're standing before him on judgement day. God says: "You can go back to earth and live a natural born God-fearing life or be sent directly to hell, which would you choose?

What exactly constitutes a "natural born god-fearing life"?

Which god am I fearing? OT christian god? NT christian god? muslim god?

If I do live a "natural born god fearing life", am I garaunteed to get into heaven?

Define heaven. Sitting around singing praise songs doesn't sound very appealing, nor does appreciating the screams of the damned.

Define hell. Lake of eternal fire? Punishment of the damned? Oblivion?

(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Please don't play the "that's never going to happen because there is no god" card just for the sake of this discussion.

Phu Cat

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
13-06-2016, 01:21 PM

Phu Cat

"Natural born" and "god fearing" are two different things. I was naturally born an atheist, so were you but here's the difference between you and me. A. You were taught there is a god and B. You were taught to fear a god. I, on the other hand, was never taught any if this silliness. I have no god/hell concept with which I can answer your question.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
13-06-2016, 01:29 PM
It depends. Are we talking about the Christian god? If so, there is no way I could worship such a disgustingly evil entity. He might be able to force me to grovel before him but he deserves no respect and if he wants me to worship him freely then he's got a lot of questions to answer first.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
13-06-2016, 01:35 PM
I'd pick hell rather than worship the god you postulate.

Not a difficult decision at all, actually.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
13-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Phu Cat

Why would it be a tough decision? Anyone with any personal integrity would choose this hypothetical situation's Hell.

Are you implying that if faced with such a decision, one should be decietful and accept this "God-fearing" life, rather than be truthful and go to Hell?
Is a lie acceptable to this God that everyone should fear? If we're talking about the same "God" of christian lore, I'm pretty certain this god is supposed to be all knowing and therefore would know a lie as it's being told.

What does it say about a god who would put forth such a wadger, where the only way to get out alive is to lie?

Favorite joke:
What if there were no hypothetical questions? Big Grin

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
13-06-2016, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2016 01:49 PM by SitaSky.)
That's like asking, "If you lived in a society ruled by an evil dictator and he will allow you to live in a nice house, work a job you love and have a family as long as you praise him every single day and never question his rules or actions even when they are wrong or you can be locked away in a dungeon, get beaten every day and eventually starve which do you choose?" I don't really have a choice do I? Who would choose to suffer? But I would gladly suffer than accept a deal with an evil, ego-maniacal mad man so bring on the dungeon.

I'd rather suffer forever as a good person, someone with morals and values that are important than dismiss everything I know to be right to live without pain alongside a masochistic, homophobic, misogynist, homicidal wizard who just happens to be holding my soul hostage. If anything anyone who agrees to live happily while knowing many good people are suffering simply because they refused to bow deserve to suffer for it. If you're so willing to let go of everything that is right and honorable for a reward you're not a good person, you're just a scared mind slave who fears pain more than you value goodness.

Also coming back to live a "God-fearing" life is taking away your free will, you're just going to pretend to "love" this God because you fear him? What happened to allowing us to make our own choices? If not we are just robot slaves, doing what we are told, what kind of life is that? Not one I'd want live.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like SitaSky's post