Christian with a question II

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2016, 04:48 PM
RE: Christian with a question II
(06-08-2016 12:44 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Is there some chance you might have thought there is some evidence that hasn't been discovered yet that will show that our world was actually created by an intelligent being? For instance, like DNA. Many years ago we had no idea what that was and now we see just how intricate and tied together our cells are and that for the intricacies of DNA to just have happened by chance is pretty unlikely. For all we know someday someone may discover something deeper inside DNA that further defines its subsystems to a level we'd never experienced of before.

Are atheists so close minded they are sure they know everything there is to know about our universe?

Phu Cat

All the atheists I know say "Bring it on!" It is not the atheists that are not interested in new discoveries, but those who have been beaten down by a 3000 year old book.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2016, 05:37 PM
(06-08-2016 04:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 02:56 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Quark sized?

[Image: 0379b23e9845c9c652488c13f7bb557fc62a3642.jpg]

I admit to hoping someone would get the double meaning and post everyone's favorite Ferengi barkeep. Big Grin Now let us all hope he never becomes real and a god. In before someone says "he's just as fictional as your god" and we'll agree to disagree.

Though if Quark were God, I'd hope Odo would be the Devil...

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
06-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Chuck Norris , Chuck Norris everything revolves around Chuck Norris.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
06-08-2016, 06:58 PM
(06-08-2016 05:39 PM)Leo Wrote:  Chuck Norris , Chuck Norris everything revolves around Chuck Norris.

Chuck used to kick Bruce Lee's arse whenever they sparred. I know this for a fact. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-08-2016, 08:18 PM
(06-08-2016 05:37 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 04:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  [Image: 0379b23e9845c9c652488c13f7bb557fc62a3642.jpg]

I admit to hoping someone would get the double meaning and post everyone's favorite Ferengi barkeep. Big Grin Now let us all hope he never becomes real and a god. In before someone says "he's just as fictional as your god" and we'll agree to disagree.

Though if Quark were God, I'd hope Odo would be the Devil...

I think Alan Watts would agree with you.

[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
06-08-2016, 08:29 PM
(06-08-2016 02:18 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 01:32 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Anything's possible but until that happens I'll continue not believing. Not the sort of concern that I'll lose much sleep over.

No that is not how science works.

The part science takes into account are issues of probability stemming from large sample rates over long periods.

In that context no, not everything is possible. "Monkeys might fly out of my butt" since we have not lived the future is not a probability remotely worth considering.

Give or take the monkeys, that was pretty much what I was trying to convey. It's theoretically possible that you might suffer simian quantum teleportation of the anus but that isn't the sort of probability that sane people worry about. As I said, not something I'd lose sleep over.

Quote:Not only as Hawking said "A God is not required", there is far more evidence in human history pointing to humans making them up.

If "anything is possible" then right now as you read this Angelina Jolie is giving me a blowjob. Somehow without refutation you are rightfully rejecting that claim.

Christopher Hitchens, "That which can be asserted without evidence can be easily dismissed without evidence."

No, things are not possible by default either, the burden of proof is always on the claimant.

Strictly speaking, anything that isn't logically paradoxical is possible. It's just that a whole lot of things that may be possible are wildly improbable. Just because something is possible doesn't mean that it is real and without evidence we may safely ignore it as ridiculous.

I'll cheerfully admit the possibility that a Creator might exist because I can simply ignore it until the theists provide some evidence to show that the possibility is an actuality. It requires no more consideration that aerial anal apes. Mind you, we all know that Phu Cat isn't simply pondering the possibility of some vague Deistic Creator. His very specific Christian God really is a logical contradiction on multiple levels and can be discarded as an absurdity.

The best part is that Phu Cat isn't even trying to offer evidence of any sort. He's trying to argue for the possibility of evidence. The best that this sort of philosophical flailing will get him is that we can't categorically rule out every possible Deity. That's a conclusion that leaves me underwhelmed.

PS: Angelina says to say "Hi!"

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
06-08-2016, 09:06 PM
(06-08-2016 12:44 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Is there some chance you might have thought there is some evidence that hasn't been discovered yet that will show that our world was actually created by an intelligent being?

I was raised to believe in a god and did so for many years. I no longer do so.

(06-08-2016 12:44 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  For instance, like DNA. Many years ago we had no idea what that was and now we see just how intricate and tied together our cells are and that for the intricacies of DNA to just have happened by chance is pretty unlikely.

Not really. Every day our knowledge increases in regards to DNA. Everything we have learned conforms to natural processes operating in accordance with natural laws. Nothing that requires the supernatural. No evidence of any god.

(06-08-2016 12:44 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  For all we know someday someone may discover something deeper inside DNA that further defines its subsystems to a level we'd never experienced of before.

It's possible that we will. However what you are speculating is not a god, nor evidence of one.

(06-08-2016 12:44 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Are atheists so close minded they are sure they know everything there is to know about our universe?

No. Are you?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
07-08-2016, 12:20 AM
(06-08-2016 12:44 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Is there some chance you might have thought there is some evidence that hasn't been discovered yet that will show that our world was actually created by an intelligent being? For instance, like DNA.

I do not profess to be a chemist, but I did do fairly well in high school chemistry. When you look at DNA you see an intelligent designer; when I look at it, I see complex molecules made of hydrogen, oxygen, carbon and nitrogen. The nature of atoms is to bond with other atoms, and I do not think that a god is required.

I also think that sometime in My lifetime, biochemists will find out how DNA forms -- Not by creating it themselves, but by observing spontaneous formation of the molecule. (RNA, another important organic molecule, has already been synthesized in the lab.)

Quote:Are atheists so close minded they are sure they know everything there is to know about our universe?

No, we know very, very little about the universe so far. That just means there are still many discoveries yet to be made.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2016, 05:25 AM
1. Yay God of the gaps again Smile
2. "Are atheists so close minded they are sure they know everything there is to know about our universe?" Who says that atheist are sure to know anything?
3. Wow you got 10 posts so far but already a -4 reputation. You gonna get far Wink

Hm, what will I have for breakfast now? ... Bai

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
07-08-2016, 08:04 AM
(06-08-2016 12:44 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Is there some chance you might have thought there is some evidence that hasn't been discovered yet that will show that our world was actually created by an intelligent being? For instance, like DNA. Many years ago we had no idea what that was and now we see just how intricate and tied together our cells are and that for the intricacies of DNA to just have happened by chance is pretty unlikely. For all we know someday someone may discover something deeper inside DNA that further defines its subsystems to a level we'd never experienced of before.

Are atheists so close minded they are sure they know everything there is to know about our universe?

Phu Cat

Yours is a “question from incredulity” (similar to argument from incredulity).

How does a thinking person or group of people go about answering any question? Research, experiment, observation...you know the stuff that got us out of the Dark Ages brought about by religious fanaticism. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce