Christian with a question....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2016, 07:22 AM
RE: Christian with a question....
(16-06-2016 12:35 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  So I guess I'm in hot water right off the bat, but here it goes anyway: Could you assume, just for the sake of this question, that there is a god? And you're standing before him on judgement day. God says: "You can go back to earth and live a natural born God-fearing life or be sent directly to hell, which would you choose? Please don't play the "that's never going to happen because there is no god" card just for the sake of this discussion.

Thanks for answering, I'd think this would be a really tough decision.

Phu Cat
What is hell like?

If I am to go back to earth, what are the parameters?
Will i be attractive, rich, popular?
How long will I live?
Will I be slightly religious or completely devoutly nutters?
Which god will I believe in?
Will I be a female in Saudi Arabia?

And then after I die again, then what?
It's like that planet area obi wan and Anakin dueled at...

Oh wait, the prequels don't exist. No I've paradoxed us.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2016, 08:45 AM
(16-06-2016 02:43 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 01:12 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Hail R2, full of gadgets, the Maker the Lucas is with thee. Blessed are thou among droids and blessed is the fruit of thy electronic womb, the hologram. Oh R2, [possible] creator of BB-8*, come rescue us as you have so many heroes in the hour of our impending deaths, amen?

*No clue if he is or not, I just needed something.

Wow, that felt more wrong than when I worked at McD's as a Baptist and wrote the "Hail Grimace", which was better.

May the Force be with you. (And also with you.)

I had a little kid from (I assume a local parish) do that at a Halloween one year when I was handing out candy as a Jedi and said "May the Force be with you".

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2016, 08:59 AM
(15-06-2016 09:45 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 11:55 AM)Phu Cat Wrote:  I sure don't fear Jesus, I love Him and look forward to meeting Him. The sooner the better. In fact, I hope it's within my life time.

You, and every single Christian that has passed since the religion was created. It started out as an apocalyptic cult, who didn't expect the world to outlive their own generation. "Give no thought for the morrow" was meant to be taken literally, because the world was ending. The religion has been disappointing it's followers ever since, and we have no reason to think the trend will change anytime soon.

QFT

Not just that but since this planet is but a way-station they shit all over it.

As for eschatology here’s a ‘short’ list of Doomsday predictions. It includes predictions by a Who’s Who of people including multiple Popes, Martin Luther, Christopher Columbus, Jacob Bernoulli, John Wesley, the Catholic Apostolic Church, JWs, Louis Farrakhan, Isaac Newton and Rasputin to name but a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_da...tic_events

So Phu Cat, get in fucking line. And why didn’t you answer my question posted on the 2nd page of this thread?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-06-2016, 09:00 AM
(16-06-2016 08:45 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 02:43 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  May the Force be with you. (And also with you.)

I had a little kid from (I assume a local parish) do that at a Halloween one year when I was handing out candy as a Jedi and said "May the Force be with you".

My mother's family are Cajun, and therefore "very" Catholic. That's a popular joke, in the wake of the Star Wars franchise.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-06-2016, 10:15 AM
[size=medium]I don't see a question from you on page 2, Full Circle.

Phu Cat
16-06-2016, 11:11 AM
(16-06-2016 10:15 AM)Phu Cat Wrote:  [size=medium]I don't see a question from you on page 2, Full Circle.

Phu Cat

I see a hell of a lot of other questions that you are ignoring. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
16-06-2016, 11:16 AM
(15-06-2016 08:46 AM)Phu Cat Wrote:  But God loves you and He loves me. Just as He loves everyone else on this earth.

Know what they call Love when it's not reciprocated?

Stalking.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 7 users Like Commonsensei's post
16-06-2016, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2016 01:00 PM by Commonsensei.)
(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  God says: "You can go back to earth and live a natural born God-fearing life or be sent directly to hell, which would you choose? Please don't play the "that's never going to happen because there is no god" card just for the sake of this discussion.

In this make believe scenario a number of factors would need to be taken into consideration.

FOR starters Which God? Advertising as a Christian I understand you are coming from Yehawh. But I would propose the same question to you but in this scenario what if this god was one that you ether A. Never heard of. or B. Found out wasn't your god. (Odin, Rah, Zeus, Bumba, etc etc) You would return to earth having to live a life in constant fear of a god you know nothing about. Or be sent to that particular god version of a unpleasant after life.

But If I was in a position of being in the "after life" I would be more confused at where I was at that time then I would be about ether returning to earth to live a new life where I would have to live in constant fear of something I knew nothing about or be sent to a place of ethereal fear and torture by a thing that I knew nothing about.

I probably would have to flip a coin.

It's been brought up many times on the nature of hell, how the conception of such a place didn't arise till much later down the Christians history line. But who knows?
Maybe hell is a great place. If the devil is the polar opposite of god and is his "enemy" maybe he takes good care of everyone there. Since they we're going against the very thing that god was standing for.

(15-06-2016 11:55 AM)Phu Cat Wrote:  Darned shame you miss the whole point. I sure don't fear Jesus, I love Him and look forward to meeting Him. The sooner the better. In fact, I hope it's within my life time.

But you have to admit, we don't know everything there is to know about our little section of the world yet. What if someday they discover something that proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is a God. Then what? You can't say it won't happen, you never know. If scientists continue to discover things at the rate they have in the last 20 years, the next 20 should prove to be pretty darned interesting

For starters "Jesus's" return was suppose to happen in the life time of his followers around 2000 years ago.

What if someday they discover something that proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is a no God. Then what? You can't say it won't happen, you never know. If scientists continue to discover things at the rate they have in the last 20 years, the next 20 should prove to be pretty darned interesting.

Let me present a scenario for you.

You're a home owner that has come up with enough money to add a new wing on to his house. So you find a contractor to come in, you've been told he's the best. And he even re insures you himself that he is. And choosing any other contractor would only be foolish for you. So you pay him in the full amount up front. He starts that day knocking down one full side of your home for the expiation. After a days full of work he say's he'll be back tomorrow to finish the job.

2 days pass and he doesn't return. you reach out to him hoping for some sort of response. 2 weeks you've even contacted other people that have said they've seen him but he's hard to reach. 2 months pass and you still have a gaping hole in the side of your home. So at what point do you suppose this guy was a con artist? At what point do you think he's not coming back? 2, 20, 200 years? What about 2000? There has to be a reasonable extent of time. Right?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 6 users Like Commonsensei's post
16-06-2016, 12:28 PM
(16-06-2016 10:15 AM)Phu Cat Wrote:  [size=medium]I don't see a question from you on page 2, Full Circle.

Phu Cat

I think he misremembered or typoed, it's actually at the top of page 3.

... assuming everyone has their preferences set to show the same number of posts per page, which none of us should be assuming. It's post #21.

In any event, there have been a LOT of questions posed to you throughout this, and you've answered hardly any of them... responded to hardly any of them, I should say, since "answering" them is an even higher bar and I'm not sure you ever actually cleared it. I'd suggest you find an hour to actually read through the thread you started, make a list of every question you've been asked, and respond to them, rather than introducing new topics (like your.... creative take on evolution). Otherwise, we might get the sense that you're just here to preach at us instead of talk with us. ... you know, that sense that we're already getting.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
16-06-2016, 01:00 PM
(13-06-2016 12:29 PM)Phu Cat Wrote:  God says: "You can go back to earth and live a natural born God-fearing life or be sent directly to hell, which would you choose?
The thing is, god is immaterial, undetectable, You can't see god and you can't hear god. All you are left with is your own thoughts, your own ability to imagine what god wants. To imagine what god might say.

My imagination tells me that god isn't a he. What would a god need with reproductive organs? God doesn't have DNA to pass on to a mate.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post